Bridesmaid dress confusion! Need help!

With our wedding date rapidly approaching my FI & I still haven't figured out the whole wedding party thing...

and by that I mean we haven't even discussed if we are having a wedding party and if so how many people. But we are going to work on that this weekend!

I really don't want to make all the girls wear the same dress or even the same color. I'd kind-of like them to pick out whatever style & color dress they like as long as they are knee length and not a print. I don't think I even care about trying to get them to match the wedding colors (I want to do red, orange & purple).

My question is am I making a huge mistake by not caring if the dresses coordinate? I just want them to be happy and comfortable. I'm thinking that since the main wedding pictures are on the beach and not at the reception anything they'd wear would work well with the beach look anyways.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H&F View Post
I don't think I even care about trying to get them to match the wedding colors (I want to do red, orange & purple).

My question is am I making a huge mistake by not caring if the dresses coordinate? I just want them to be happy and comfortable. I'm thinking that since the main wedding pictures are on the beach and not at the reception anything they'd wear would work well with the beach look anyways.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
I'm a big fan of letting people pick out their own dresses, and your girls will thank you for it. If you do have certain colors in mind, you could tell them to pick out their own dress in one of those colors so they will fit in with yours. This way they are happy and comfortable in their dresses, but they are in your colors.

yeah I like girls picking their own dresses also - I think you have to have something in common with each.

Anarecently had her girls pick their own dresses - she had a review recently if you can find it - they all looked great - I want to say she had everyone choose a silk dress of their choice?

I think its completely fine. Ya Ana just asked for a color and silk Here is her review there are pics of her girls a few posts down:

http://bestdestinationwedding.com/forum/t40861

One I really liked was Sarahs and she had the girls in similar colors but all different dresses

04.04.09 Sarah and Jivan | Ana y Jose Tulum | Photography by Sol Tamargo

I agree with all of you. My biggest thing is that I want my girls comfortable and I want them to wear their dress again. We all know that we have bridesmaids dresses that we spent a ton of money on and will never wear again! I also have a MOH who thinks she might be 6 mos pregnant at the time of the wedding in January and 9mos at my AHR in March so another reason to let them pick their own dresses.

I think it'll look nice for them to pick their own color & style, esp. if they get colors that complement each other. (I love how Sarah's turned out!)

I gave my bridesmaids a color & they each picked out a dress they liked. They're all totally different shapes & sizes so I can't imagine trying to find a dress that all 3 of them loved-- this was much better for us & I think it'll be less stress on you too.

Here's what mine ended up picking:

Maid of Honor/Sis

Click the image to open in full size.

Bridesmaid #1

Bridesmaid #2

My BMs dresses have actually been the only thing that has really stressed me out so far. I wanted them to pick their own dresses so that they would be comfortable and would want to wear the dress again. I guess they weren't comfortable with the lack of direction, so I then told them to pick out whatever dress they liked in a specific color from a certain store. My MOH then told me that she has always thought that it looked kind of silly when BMs all wear a different dress in the same color. I totally dissagreed with her because I thought it was nice to see each individuals sense of style, but whatever, I just wanted them to be happy.. So, after a lot of debate, I just decided I was going to pick their dress and buy it for them. That way, if they didn't like it, at least they didn't have to pay anything for it. This is what we ended up with...

Good luck girl!

you still have plenty of time! i am all about letting them pick their own dresses in the same color, not spending too much $ and trying to get something that they will all want to wear again and feel comfortable in.

i went with the Victoria's Secret 7 in 1 dress in Teal - each BM wore it in a way she felt most comfy and they were less than $100 each!

It's your wedding, there are no rules that you have to follow - do whatever makes you happy! :) I had my girls pick their own too, I only asked that the dresses be in the wedding colour (dark fuschia). They found something they all love and will wear again. When you're asking your girls to dish out so much cash to even come to your wedding, I think it's important to at least have them like what they will be wearing :)