Jump to content

Photo

advice needed- should I move location


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 soon2bePowers

soon2bePowers
  • Jr. Member
  • 382 posts

    Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

    As a date twin, I am in the same boat. I have been looking into our options and they are very limited. Most flights leaving my area are booked. I really want to wait it out.

    My biggest fear is guest losing money. FI can jump on a plan and get married anywhere, I just don't want the weight of 35 people losing between 1200-1500 dollars on my shoulders.

    Good wedding vibes all around!

    #12 Dmitri_Markine

    Dmitri_Markine
    • Vendor
    • 2,782 posts

      Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

      The worst part is when airline companies are canceling their flights.
      It's still a month and a half away you maybe this situation will normalize. Especially because there aren't that many deaths. And I suspect that previous deaths were only because those people waited for weeks before realizing that it is not just a normal cold.

      #13 gemstone

      gemstone
      • Newbie
      • 43 posts

        Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

        Gail, I agree with everyone. I think you should wait it out. With so many precautions now and awareness, the Swine flu numbers and spread should be reducing.

        If you are concerned about your and FI health, then move the location. Your wedding day is an important and magical day and week and you shouldn't be stressing about such things. I wouldn't move wedding locations though because you fear some guests may cancel due to this flu. Last I heard, there were still no reported cases of the Swine flu in Quintana Roo.

        If it were me getting married in June, I would sit tight. I was married at Iberostar Beach on April 15th and same as you, married at the gazebo and had a private reception at the Tropical. It was a fabulous. Beautiful, fun, and the resort did an awesome job.

        If guests cannot make the trip to Mexico and cancel, you have picked a wonderful photographer who will be capturing your day on film. Maybe if many guests cancel, hire a videographer too so you can share this with guests that could not make it.
        Your wedding day is about you though so I would make your decisions based on your needs and wants.
        Maybe talk to a few of your close guests (your MOH, BM, and family) and see how their feeling. They'll probably be very supportative and do whatever you decide.

        I think you should start distracting yourself a bit from all this swine flu media frenzy. You'll drive yourself crazy soon
        Maybe work on some last minute details of the wedding (newsletter, gifts, decorations, etc). Even just for a few days so you can get your mind off everything.

        I have a feeling you are going to have a wonderful wedding day wherever you decide. The moment you and FI are in front of the judge and you look into each others eyes and realize in a few moments you are united and will forever be together, is priceless. At that moment, it could have been -30 degrees and been in the middle of a cow pasture and I still would have been happy:)

        Hope all goes well.
        Gen

        #14 Gail

        Gail
        • Jr. Member
        • 358 posts

          Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:54 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by gemstone
          Gail, I agree with everyone. I think you should wait it out. With so many precautions now and awareness, the Swine flu numbers and spread should be reducing.

          If you are concerned about your and FI health, then move the location. Your wedding day is an important and magical day and week and you shouldn't be stressing about such things. I wouldn't move wedding locations though because you fear some guests may cancel due to this flu. Last I heard, there were still no reported cases of the Swine flu in Quintana Roo.

          If it were me getting married in June, I would sit tight. I was married at Iberostar Beach on April 15th and same as you, married at the gazebo and had a private reception at the Tropical. It was a fabulous. Beautiful, fun, and the resort did an awesome job.

          If guests cannot make the trip to Mexico and cancel, you have picked a wonderful photographer who will be capturing your day on film. Maybe if many guests cancel, hire a videographer too so you can share this with guests that could not make it.
          Your wedding day is about you though so I would make your decisions based on your needs and wants.
          Maybe talk to a few of your close guests (your MOH, BM, and family) and see how their feeling. They'll probably be very supportative and do whatever you decide.

          I think you should start distracting yourself a bit from all this swine flu media frenzy. You'll drive yourself crazy soon
          Maybe work on some last minute details of the wedding (newsletter, gifts, decorations, etc). Even just for a few days so you can get your mind off everything.

          I have a feeling you are going to have a wonderful wedding day wherever you decide. The moment you and FI are in front of the judge and you look into each others eyes and realize in a few moments you are united and will forever be together, is priceless. At that moment, it could have been -30 degrees and been in the middle of a cow pasture and I still would have been happy:)

          Hope all goes well.
          Gen
          Thanks so much fir the support
          Pro wedding pic slide show

          http://delsolphotogr....eries/?gal=142

          #15 shellk

          shellk
          • Sr. Member
          • 1,784 posts

            Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:39 AM

            you will be fine and on the best day of your life all of your efforts and hard work will shine.try and keep calm.all that matters are u nd your h2b. here in uk it seems to have calmed down the last 24hrs?

            #16 Detroitbride

            Detroitbride
            • Newbie
            • 22 posts

              Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:32 AM

              Gail - I'm in the same boat as you. I'm getting married at the Iberostar Lindo on June 18. This past week has been stressful as our guests were panicking, etc. My fiance and I did a bunch of research and talked to many people and decided we are keep the date as is. We will lose money as well if we cancel now and switch destinations. I just keep on hoping that things settle down in the next month.

              #17 SunBride

              SunBride
              • Sr. Member
              • 1,499 posts

                Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:21 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Gail
                Thanks everyone. We are going to wait. I am just so burned out with everyone. I try and explain but they don't seem to get it. I think they were coming around THEN some of my guets EMPLOERS TOLD THEM IF THEY GO THEY can't come back for a week after they get back and have too be cleared by dr. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT
                Wow, as if they are saying that. Are they allowed to do that?

                Your guests should lie to their employer and say the wedding got moved to another country! I would!

                I mean I agree with the idea of not putting more people in danger, but I'm sure your guests will be very careful and stay home at the first sign of any illness.

                Plus, as others have said, there are no reported cases in the mayan riviera!!!

                #18 MomentsThatMatter

                MomentsThatMatter
                • Vendor
                • 2,015 posts

                  Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:39 AM

                  Time will tell... and I truly feel the biggest story of all will be the mass panic that the media has caused in 2009. Who will pay the price for this... in the end... Mexico.
                  CNN has been no better than any tabloid. I am so frustrated with false information and sensationalizing stories to make head line news.
                  Lincoln & Lori @ Moments that Matter Photography
                  Playa Del Carmen Wedding Photographers - Mexico - Cancun - & Mayan Riviera
                  Web: http://momentsthatmatterphotography.com/
                  Blog: http://momentsthatmatterphotography.com/blog/
                  http://i711.photobuc....Ad-Sept09b.gif

                  #19 cougs

                  cougs

                    VIP Member

                  • VIP Member
                  • 12,151 posts

                    Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:57 AM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Gail
                    THEN some of my guets EMPLOERS TOLD THEM IF THEY GO THEY can't come back for a week after they get back and have too be cleared by dr. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT
                    i understand what you're going through ... we lost FI's aunt and kids (my flower girl too!) because she can't afford to lose the week of pay following her trip. i still honestly think it has to be ILLEGAL for an employer to do this ... wish i could find out definitively ... it would be awesome to present them with documentation stating that it is illegal to require an employee to stay out of work unpaid following travel! it doesn't even make sense because there are NO cases in cancun, but there are already confirmed cases in philadelphia where she works! i'm hoping that as this begins blowing over perhaps her employer will have a change of heart? or maybe a clearance from a doc will suffice and she won't have to lose the pay?

                    regardless, we are going forward with the wedding as planned. i feel terrible but i can't uproot the whole thing for 3 people. if it were our parents we may have felt differently tho.

                    hang on, gail ... you're in the home stretch!

                    #20 jls62081

                    jls62081
                    • Newbie
                    • 15 posts

                      Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:13 AM

                      We are in the same boat we are supposed to be leaving for mexico in 7 days. We started looking into some other options but it is just way too difficult to plan a wedding in weeks. I was ready to just say screw it lets just go until my soon to be mother in law's work has said that she will have to be out of work for at least 5-10days after the trip!! She cant afford to use her vacation time as her mother is not well and she has to take off for her illnesses and dr appts. Also my best friends work wont let her come back for 2 weeks afterward and she cant afford that. Even though they all live in Nebraska and there are like 3 confirmed swine flu cases there?? How that makes sense i dont know. So we are trying to figure out what we are going to do today. We have waited it out and it seems like it is definetely slowing down but their work still is not working with them. AHHHHHH I dont know what to do! So now our choices are either change to another location last minute, postpone until a later date, or just say screw it and go to Mexico (but mother in law and best friend would not be able to go). I am sooo confused right now.




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users