Jump to content

Photo

Desperate for Help! We're in MX for our Wedding, did we forget something?????


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 cougs

cougs

    VIP Member

  • VIP Member
  • 12,151 posts

    Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kits55
    Girls: thank you all SOOO much for responding! My FI just got a call back from Cecilia (our WC) and she said that all we need is our passports and visas. So we're good to go with our civil ceremony! This probably complicates matters for other Mexico brides but THANK YOU ALL!
    I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU that you can have your civil ceremony as planned!!!

    i have to say tho that i'm REALLY confused because the info i had gotten was off your resort's website! now i'm wondering whether i really actually need this stuff at my resort, or it's all just bull? in NJ, the stupid apostille is costing me $25 plus another $25 for a certified copy of my birth certificate (the only one they will do the apostille for--original bc isn't good enough apparently). so yet another $50 for something i don't really actually need? i'd rather go get waxed for that money, LOL.

    have a beautiful, amazing, LEGAL wedding!!!!!!!

    #12 LesleyAnne

    LesleyAnne
    • Newbie
    • 13 posts

      Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

      Congrats! Cecilia handled our symbolic ceremony with grace and calmness. She knows what she is doing, but remains so calm that you may not believe it. Where are you getting married? We did it on the beach! It was spectacular! We had our dinner under a full moon at the French restaurant! WOW! A perfect day! We have our legal cermony in Point Pleasant, NJ on May 1st with family. We never expected a second cermony so formally, but family saw our Mexico pics and wanted to be at the legal one. Have fun! You will love Secrets Maroma!!!!

      #13 drtracy

      drtracy
      • Jr. Member
      • 436 posts

        Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:42 AM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by mummergirl
        I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU that you can have your civil ceremony as planned!!!

        i have to say tho that i'm REALLY confused because the info i had gotten was off your resort's website! now i'm wondering whether i really actually need this stuff at my resort, or it's all just bull? in NJ, the stupid apostille is costing me $25 plus another $25 for a certified copy of my birth certificate (the only one they will do the apostille for--original bc isn't good enough apparently). so yet another $50 for something i don't really actually need? i'd rather go get waxed for that money, LOL.

        have a beautiful, amazing, LEGAL wedding!!!!!!!
        hey Lisa, I believe that Apostille changed about a month ago. According to my WC you only need certified copies now to be legally married there. You still need apostilles if you have divorce decrees but that's it. It is very confusing b/c every where seems to be different. We're playing it safe and have certified copies and Apostilles for everything. Yes, I'm pretty anal retentive. :)

        #14 litl_april

        litl_april
        • Jr. Member
        • 351 posts

          Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:50 AM

          So glad you have found out that you don't need them and everything will continue as planned!! Here's hoping you smooth sailing and no more stress for the rest of your trip and for your wedding!!

          #15 Gail

          Gail
          • Jr. Member
          • 358 posts

            Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:59 AM

            now relax and enjoy!!! e mail me when you get back
            Pro wedding pic slide show

            http://delsolphotogr....eries/?gal=142

            #16 beach2009

            beach2009
            • Jr. Member
            • 299 posts

              Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:04 AM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by drtracy
              hey Lisa, I believe that Apostille changed about a month ago. According to my WC you only need certified copies now to be legally married there. You still need apostilles if you have divorce decrees but that's it. It is very confusing b/c every where seems to be different. We're playing it safe and have certified copies and Apostilles for everything. Yes, I'm pretty anal retentive. :)
              Yeah, we found there were just so many hoops to jump to getting legally married in Mexico, residency requirement, blood tests, paperwork this, that...
              So, we opted to have our civil ceremony at home instead.

              #17 nibsmom

              nibsmom
              • Member
              • 564 posts

                Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

                How stressed out you must have been!! I'm so glad it worked out okay! I would have been freaking out!

                I agree with drtracy - we already have everything apostilled and all that - even though we shouldn't need it! Not taking any chances!!!

                Have a beautiful wedding!!!!

                #18 Kits55

                Kits55
                • Member
                • 607 posts
                • Wedding Location:Secrets Maroma Beach
                • LocationRiviera Maya, Mexico

                Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:34 AM

                You all have been amazing and if wasn't the worst prepared bride in the world I would have gotten everything translated and sent to Mexico just in case. I guess I just got really really lucky!

                #19 ebeth

                ebeth
                • Newbie
                • 9 posts

                  Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:39 AM

                  Kits55 - I'm glad everything worked out for you! I'm getting married legally at Secrets Maroma in less than a month and I'm having the same concerns!

                  What paperwork did they end up needing to make the Mexico ceremony legal? Also, when did you receive the marriage certificate? When you were in Mexico - or - was it mailed to you months later?

                  #20 Kits55

                  Kits55
                  • Member
                  • 607 posts
                  • Wedding Location:Secrets Maroma Beach
                  • LocationRiviera Maya, Mexico

                  Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:24 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by ebeth
                  Kits55 - I'm glad everything worked out for you! I'm getting married legally at Secrets Maroma in less than a month and I'm having the same concerns!

                  What paperwork did they end up needing to make the Mexico ceremony legal? Also, when did you receive the marriage certificate? When you were in Mexico - or - was it mailed to you months later?
                  Hi Ebeth:

                  Congratulations to you! SMB is a gorgeous place to have a wedding, that's for sure!

                  In order to make our ceremony legal all we needed was our passports! They made copies of our passports and that's it. We had to have four witnesses but luckily my family (parents, sister, and her fiance) came down 3 full business days early as well so they were our witnesses. If you use the people at the resort you have to pay $20 for each person and you have to have four witnesses to make it legal.

                  We still have not received our official, legal marriage certificate yet. They told us 1-3 months and it's already been about 6 weeks and no sign of it yet. I'm assuming it's going to take 3 months because everything else moves so slowly down there. We did receive a copy in Spanish right after the ceremony BUT that is not legal in the US unless you pay to have it translated and notarized in the US.

                  If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, for some reason I'm not getting daily notification of all of the threads I subscribe to.




                  0 user(s) are reading this topic

                  0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users