Jump to content

Photo

Dreams La Romana


  • Please log in to reply
3934 replies to this topic

#421 jenne

jenne
  • Jr. Member
  • 278 posts

    Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

    Lizzyjayne, I feel the same way. My fiance and I briefly discussed making it legal before we go to save the trouble and money of all the documents, but decided not to. I want to know that when I walk down the aisle that I am actually about to marry him for the first time legally. It just wouldn't be the same to us otherwise. I also mentioned doing it here to my Mom and she did not like the idea. All of our guests are paying to go all the way to the Dominican to watch us get married, so we want them to see the real deal. Plus, there are a lot of people who would like to be coming that can't, so if we did it here, we would almost feel like we would have to invite them to it and then it's like having two weddings. Anyway, that's just my feelings on it! I totally understand why people would get married here beforehand as well, it's just not what will make us happy.
    Jennifer

    #422 Maybride2010atDreamsLR

    Maybride2010atDreamsLR
    • Newbie
    • 64 posts

      Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

      Hi girls,
      I haven't been on this site for a while. wow Nadia, great pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us. I have confirmed the SSG and now that have seen your pictures, I am sure I have made the right choice.
      We are having a legal ceremony for exactly the same reasons as Jennifer. However, now I have to deal with getting the paperwork done. Dan and I have both been married before so we have divorce papers to translate. Going to cost a fortune but will be worth it.
      Has anyone asked Tiara if the table at the ceremony is included? I have found out about the chairs, the arch or the gazebo decor but I haven't heard anyone talk about the table.
      My other concern is about drinks at the dinner. I just assumed they would be included, then when I read Nadia's email to Tiara.....

      "What costs are associated with the cocktail hour for my package (Wedding in Paradise)?
      your package does not include cocktails so you must pay per person based on the menu that you choose."

      what does that mean?? we have to pay for drinks?
      :~~~ Liane & Dan ~~~
      May 3, 2010

      http://tickers.Ticke....26dd/event.png

      #423 brbr.bo

      brbr.bo
      • Newbie
      • 21 posts

        Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:56 PM

        MayBride2010 , i believe that if you are renting out the SSG drinks are included, however if you want to have an hour cocktail party you have to pay per person. I think its more of the formality of the cocktail hour that you are paying for rather then the alcohol itself. Hope this helps!!!!!!!

        #424 brbr.bo

        brbr.bo
        • Newbie
        • 21 posts

          Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:05 AM

          MayBride2010 , i believe that if you are renting out the SSG drinks are included, however if you want to have an hour cocktail party you have to pay per person. I think its more of the formality of the cocktail hour that you are paying for rather then the alcohol itself. Hope this helps!!!!!!!

          #425 nsimpson

          nsimpson
          • Jr. Member
          • 325 posts

            Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:11 AM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Maybride2010atDreamsLR
            Hi girls,
            My other concern is about drinks at the dinner. I just assumed they would be included, then when I read Nadia's email to Tiara.....

            "What costs are associated with the cocktail hour for my package (Wedding in Paradise)?
            your package does not include cocktails so you must pay per person based on the menu that you choose."

            what does that mean?? we have to pay for drinks?
            MayBride2010 - I don't want to give you the wrong impression, drinks are included as a part of your guest's all-inclusive package. The only thing you would be paying for would be if you want your guests to have hors d' oeuvres and fresh fruit to snack on during the "cocktail hour."

            I'm having the "free" wedding so the cocktail hour (for 20 guests) is not included for me. I thought that it would be nice for my guests to sort of mingle, talk, listen to music and eat some finger food while we're off taking our pictures.

            The Silver menu = 3 cold items and 1 hot item at $8/person
            The Gold menu = 4 cold itmes and 2 hot item at $10/ person
            * + 26% service and taxes.

            Hope this makes things a little clearer :)

            Nadia
            Love is a wonderful thing!
            Nadia and SergeSeptember 2010

            #426 La Romana Stacey

            La Romana Stacey
            • Newbie
            • 107 posts

              Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by jenne
              Lizzyjayne, I feel the same way. My fiance and I briefly discussed making it legal before we go to save the trouble and money of all the documents, but decided not to. I want to know that when I walk down the aisle that I am actually about to marry him for the first time legally. It just wouldn't be the same to us otherwise. I also mentioned doing it here to my Mom and she did not like the idea. All of our guests are paying to go all the way to the Dominican to watch us get married, so we want them to see the real deal. Plus, there are a lot of people who would like to be coming that can't, so if we did it here, we would almost feel like we would have to invite them to it and then it's like having two weddings. Anyway, that's just my feelings on it! I totally understand why people would get married here beforehand as well, it's just not what will make us happy.
              I actually just started thinking about this today. My fiancĀ©e and I decided to make it legal before we go but are not telling a soul...not even my best friend or Mom. I have heard stories of that going really badly when guests found out the couple is already married. We decided doing it here to save money and hassle but I was really conflicted with it.

              So now I need to figure out who will do the ceremony and what he/she is going to say. Tiara said either she could do it or someone else who works there and speaks English. That is fine but I'm not sure if I should write out what I want the person to say. Has anyone else done a symbolic ceremony How did you decide what the wording of the ceremony would be? We aren't religious so we kinda can say whatever we want. I would be grateful for any suggestions!!!!!

              #427 nsimpson

              nsimpson
              • Jr. Member
              • 325 posts

                Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:26 PM

                Quote:
                [So now I need to figure out who will do the ceremony and what he/she is going to say. Tiara said either she could do it or someone else who works there and speaks English. That is fine but I'm not sure if I should write out what I want the person to say. Has anyone else done a symbolic ceremony How did you decide what the wording of the ceremony would be? We aren't religious so we kinda can say whatever we want. I would be grateful for any suggestions!!!!!
                Stacey,
                I totally reccommend pastor Rick York. He does symbolic ceremonies, is originally from America so speaks perfect English and will help you to make your ceremony EXACTLY what you want it to be. He also has a number of sample ceremonies that you can pick from if you are having difficulties with wording. His fee is $300 but it will be the BEST money you spend on your wedding!

                The two weddings that I attended in the DR had the wedding coordinators either conduct the ceremony or translating for the legal judge (who only speaks Spanish)--- trust me, you do not want this for your wedding! A lot of people think that the judge will speak English...they DO NOT! Instead, your wedding coordinator will stand there repeating everyting that he says in really bad English! (I thought it took away from the whole tone of the wedding and most guests didn't even know when the bride and groom were officially married!)

                Anyway, if you want to check out pastor Rick I think he's totally worth it and he's really casual as well so you don't have to worry about him showing up in a big robe -unless you request him to (since your not into the whole religion thing)!

                Here's his e-mail: ryork@codetel.net.do

                Good luck,

                Nadia
                Love is a wonderful thing!
                Nadia and SergeSeptember 2010

                #428 Maybride2010atDreamsLR

                Maybride2010atDreamsLR
                • Newbie
                • 64 posts

                  Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by nsimpson
                  MayBride2010 - I don't want to give you the wrong impression, drinks are included as a part of your guest's all-inclusive package. The only thing you would be paying for would be if you want your guests to have hors d' oeuvres and fresh fruit to snack on during the "cocktail hour."

                  I'm having the "free" wedding so the cocktail hour (for 20 guests) is not included for me. I thought that it would be nice for my guests to sort of mingle, talk, listen to music and eat some finger food while we're off taking our pictures.

                  The Silver menu = 3 cold items and 1 hot item at $8/person
                  The Gold menu = 4 cold itmes and 2 hot item at $10/ person
                  * + 26% service and taxes.

                  Hope this makes things a little clearer :)

                  Nadia
                  Thanks Nadia, I was kind of scared there thinking I would be paying for drinks on top of everything else. I have the free wedding also. I am booking the ssg for 1000.00 so I can play my ipod with the ipod dock and do what we want.
                  You definately gave me something to think about with the cocktail hour. I hadn't given it any thought before.
                  :~~~ Liane & Dan ~~~
                  May 3, 2010

                  http://tickers.Ticke....26dd/event.png

                  #429 dolfinluck

                  dolfinluck
                  • Sr. Member
                  • 2,424 posts

                    Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by nsimpson
                    Stacey,
                    I totally reccommend pastor Rick York. He does symbolic ceremonies, is originally from America so speaks perfect English and will help you to make your ceremony EXACTLY what you want it to be. He also has a number of sample ceremonies that you can pick from if you are having difficulties with wording. His fee is $300 but it will be the BEST money you spend on your wedding!

                    The two weddings that I attended in the DR had the wedding coordinators either conduct the ceremony or translating for the legal judge (who only speaks Spanish)--- trust me, you do not want this for your wedding! A lot of people think that the judge will speak English...they DO NOT! Instead, your wedding coordinator will stand there repeating everyting that he says in really bad English! (I thought it took away from the whole tone of the wedding and most guests didn't even know when the bride and groom were officially married!)

                    Anyway, if you want to check out pastor Rick I think he's totally worth it and he's really casual as well so you don't have to worry about him showing up in a big robe -unless you request him to (since your not into the whole religion thing)!

                    Here's his e-mail: ryork@codetel.net.do

                    Good luck,

                    Nadia
                    Thanks Nadia, you have changed my mind on this. I will most likely be using pastor Rick, unless my friend comes as her husband is a pastor at their church and would love for him to do it.

                    Does Tiara contact him and book it or should we contact him directly?

                    Also what do you think of using the jungle restaurant for the reception? Do you have any pictures of it?
                    Thanks!

                    #430 BridgetDLRBride

                    BridgetDLRBride
                    • Newbie
                    • 19 posts

                      Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by nsimpson
                      Amy you are the BEST!!

                      After that If anyone has a specific question that I might be able to answer but didn't, just drop me a line and I'll try my best! If not, we will default to the expert, Tiara!
                      I know some people really like to have AC when they're eating their food and like I said, I really did like the setup in there. If you're going to have speeches or anything like that, you really wouldn't need a mic because it's so private. I dunno...got to give it some serious thought now!

                      Thanks again Amy!
                      OH MY GOSH NADIA...THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You are like the DLR savior!! I do have three questions:
                      1) Since you're having the reception at the SSG (and renting it out I assume) what food would you recommend? Did you talk to anyone that had the set menu?

                      2) In the SSG (either totally enclosed or the area with the fabric) did you notice if there was room to hang paper lanterns from the ceiling. I think Amy and I are trying to do that?

                      3) You mentioned the "massage hut" that's close to the Gazebo. Do you think the massage hut would be a good place for a ceremony as an alternative to the Gazebo? I was just wondering if the hut would have a more Caribbean-vibe with the same great views. (Any maybe I could wear the pink 3" heels that I already bought)

                      THANKS!!!!




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users