Photo

alcohol

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 Hartyt509

Hartyt509
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:04 PM

I agree with everyone else its a personal decision. I wouldn't have a wedding without drink but that is just the crowd that I have. I don't personally drink but its not for religious reasons just it gives me raging hangovers lol

Unless all your guests are 16 i wouldn't have thought they would be drinking so much they'd throw up everywhere.

#12 frazali

frazali
    • 245 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:41 AM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by lauren
      if everyone feels the same as you, and you've never had a wedding w/ alcohol, then sure, it makes sense for you. but personally, i can't imagine a wedding w/o booze.
      My feelings exactly.

#13 frazali

frazali
      • 245 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:41 AM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by lauren
        if everyone feels the same as you, and you've never had a wedding w/ alcohol, then sure, it makes sense for you. but personally, i can't imagine a wedding w/o booze.
        My feelings exactly.

#14 Amarillis

Amarillis
        • 1,913 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by ErinB
          I think the no alcohol depends on the reason you are doing it. If you have a group of non-drinkers and you and your FI don't drink then it's not a big deal.

I just don't like to see people skip a bar for budgetary reasons only, especially if you know your guests are people who imbibe or you and your FI drink socially.

When people are concerned with budget they can offer just beer & wine, wine with dinner, a champagne toast, a signature cocktail, etc. I personally feel that cash bars at weddings are just as bad as no alcohol.

I blame a lot of issues on drunken guests on the person serving the drinks. Either the bartender isn't trained well enough to know how to handle intoxicated guests or the hosts didn't spend the extra to hire a professional server.

Erin, you took the words out of my mouth! I myself love to celebrate with wine, and I could'nt have imagined the day without it! I didn't get trashed at the wedding - but drank socially with all my guests.

as previous posts said...it really depends on the crowd and your usual habits...

#15 Jennifer Davis

Jennifer Davis
          • 582 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

I 2nd Erin!

If there is no alcohol at a wedding for religious or issues of moral compromise based on personal beliefs then I think it is fine. However, if there is no alcohol or a cash bar for financial reasons, then I think it is discourteous and selfish for guests that are devoting their time and money to celebrate your special day.

#16 FutureMrsLewis

FutureMrsLewis
            • 583 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

I've never been to a wedding with an open bar, it's always been a cash bar (Or BYOB) with only wine provided for toasts (And usually 1 bottle for 20 adults, which doesn't go very far!) If any of the weddings I've been to had an open bar, there would be a LOT of people passed out in the middle of the floor in drunken stupidity. Chalk it up to immaturity?

Anyway, I think it's completely your choice, as the other ladies have said. Plus, most of your guests will likely think like you and not expect alcohol at the wedding, so they won't even notice. And as for the ones that do notice and complain, you can't please everyone ^_^ There's so many other things to stress over when it comes to wedding planning, don't let this be one of them!

#17 FutureMrsLewis

FutureMrsLewis
              • 583 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

I've never been to a wedding with an open bar, it's always been a cash bar (Or BYOB) with only wine provided for toasts (And usually 1 bottle for 20 adults, which doesn't go very far!) If any of the weddings I've been to had an open bar, there would be a LOT of people passed out in the middle of the floor in drunken stupidity. Chalk it up to immaturity?

Anyway, I think it's completely your choice, as the other ladies have said. Plus, most of your guests will likely think like you and not expect alcohol at the wedding, so they won't even notice. And as for the ones that do notice and complain, you can't please everyone ^_^ There's so many other things to stress over when it comes to wedding planning, don't let this be one of them!

#18 northernflasher

northernflasher
                • 499 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:04 PM

This sounds like something thats really close to your heart so Im pretty sure the majority of your guests will respect it. If I were you I would inform all of your guests especially those that may not be aware of you wishes before the wedding, it seems a little unfair to "surprise" them with it. Whilst I dont imagine any of your guests will base their RSVP's on this it is polite to respect their preferences by giving them the choice of if to attend a "dry" wedding or not.

I dont beleive you need alcohol to have a wonderful wedding, I have attended several strict muslim weddings with no alcohol which were no less of a joyous occasion because of it.

Rather than worry about your decision embrace it. If you decide to go dry maybe you could discreetly give those guests that you know would like to drink a mini bottle of something as their wedding favour. Also really make the effort with your choice of drinks, you could create signature "virgin" cocktails based on your wedding colours, there is also a great choice of non alcoholic beers and wines which look and taste pretty close to the real thing for people that really need to feel like they are drinking.

Good luck with everything.
                  Michelle X

PLANNING THREAD:http://bestdestinati....-thread-58694/DREAMS TULUM REVIEW: MARCH 2010:http://bestdestinati....-2010-a-59147/EXCURSIONS AND SIGHTSEEING REVIEW IN RIVIERA MAYA: MARCH 2010:http://bestdestinati...com/fo...ra-...

#19 Jenamie

Jenamie
                  • 392 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:20 PM

Yeah I changed my mind yeah I dont want my grandma to feel out of place but I also want people to get a chance to relax and unwind as well!

So I am going to have wine, but no beer
                    I thought of doing champange but I dont like it, so I'm going to do a sweet wine

#20 Sapphire723

Sapphire723
                    • 888 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:44 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Jenamie
                      Yeah I changed my mind yeah I dont want my grandma to feel out of place but I also want people to get a chance to relax and unwind as well!

So I am going to have wine, but no beer
                      I thought of doing champange but I dont like it, so I'm going to do a sweet wine
                      I'm really glad you were able to find a solution that works for you. I would definitely have no problem with a wedding that served only wine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users