Photo

Wedding Insurace - Is it a scam?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Scarletina

Scarletina
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

I hope this is the best place to post. I have searched and didn't find any other posts dealing with wedding insurance so hopefully I am not asking a question that has been discussed at length. If so- could someone just point me in the right direction for that thread?

Basically, I am getting married in PV Mexico while on a 7day Mexican Riveira Carnival Cruise. I am thinking that wedding insurance might be a good idea since I am travelling at the end of hurrican season. I have scouted out some companies but would like to hear feedback from other brides if you have purchased insurance for your big day and if you did who did you purchase it through? What are things I should make sure are in my policy and what loopholes to be cautious of?

Thanks!
    37 CABINS BOOKED AND COUNTING!!

CHECK OUT MY WEDDING WEBSITE:

WWW.WEDDINGAWEIGH.COM

#2 sunstarsmoon

sunstarsmoon
    • 2,233 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:53 AM

I don't think it is a scam. I heard about it before. I actually work partime for a travel agency that specializes in cruises and we had an insurance meeting and this was talked about briefly, but company we were having the meeting with did not carry it.

I think since you are going on a cruise you might really consider this, since sometimes the ships get re-routed due to bad weather and you will have missed your wedding.
      July 8, 2011, Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios, Jamaica

#3 EmenGeeRoxx

EmenGeeRoxx
      • 279 posts
      • Wedding Date:January 19, 2010

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

Just read the fine print and determine how much the deductible is. I think I will be getting wedding insurance as well.

#4 GregsBride

GregsBride
      • 333 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:59 PM

I was just looking up wedding insurance yesterday and wondering whether or not to purchase also. What company did you find?? I believe the one I was looking at was called Wedsafe. Hopefully someone will post more feedback who actually has purchased it.

Christina
        ~Christina

#5 Jamaica0619

Jamaica0619
        • 475 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

I purchased WedSafe insurance for my DW in Jamaica and for the AHR. We have family members who are older (and have the potential of encountering health-related problems), and I did not want to take any chances in case we would need to cancel/postpone it. I did it as a precaution.

If you have any questions, I would advise talking to one of the advisors. I did and I found it very helpful.

The one caution I know of is...my parents are paying for much of the wedding, but my FI and I are covering some of the costs. To make things easier, since I have signed all of the contracts, I have been paying everyone and my parents write me a check to cover the costs. When I talked to the adviser with WedSafe they were glad we had done that, becuase if we would need to file a claim it makes it easier if the person whose name the insurance is in has paid the deposits/bills.
          Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. ~ Albert Camas

#6 big3n09

big3n09
          • 616 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

It's always better to be safe than sorry and taking in certain considerations it may be really worht it. I am considering purchasing a wedding policymyself, thanks for the info.
            4/1/11 in St. Kitts at the Marriott I married my best-friend!!!

#7 EmenGeeRoxx

EmenGeeRoxx
            • 279 posts
            • Wedding Date:January 19, 2010

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:21 AM

Would wedding insurance cover a cancellation due to something like the Swine Flu? I am definitely going to get it if this is the case because I am reading a lot of people getting screwed because of this incident.

#8 Scarletina

Scarletina
            • 85 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

It's terrible that this post came back to life now - I am so sorry for all the brides that are being forced to cancel weddings right now- but I think it's a huge wake up call to anyone who has not purchased insurance to look into it. I know I have already contact a broker.
              37 CABINS BOOKED AND COUNTING!!

CHECK OUT MY WEDDING WEBSITE:

WWW.WEDDINGAWEIGH.COM

#9 MarieSam

MarieSam
              • VIP Member
              • 2,336 posts
                • LocationSouthern California

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

I have heard that buying insurance now due to the swine flu would be considered pre-existing conditions, therefore, would not be covered under an insurance policy. Here's what an insurance company sent me today:

If you purchase an Event Cancellation policy at this time, in regard to coverage for swine flu, the policy would not afford protection for a cancellation of the event. This would be considered "prior knowledge" and therefore not a covered reason.

Thank you,
                Lenore

#10 stacey

stacey

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 4,853 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

If you had wedding insurance, this would be a covered loss. Mariesam is right, that you bought insurance today for your wedding next week, then you would not be covered for the swine flu as it is a pre exisiting condition.
                  Stacey & Ely 10.14.2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users