Photo

Is it bad not to have OOT bags?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 estella1007

estella1007
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:24 PM

We are traveling via cruise ship. I will also have our son (who will be 1 yr old at the time.) Between packing for ourselves, him, the favors, my gown, his stroller, diapers, baby food, etc...That is even more to stuff into the already numerous suitcases. Not to mention we all know how small the cruise cabins are. How the heck do I make 25 OOT bags to take along as well? Is it rude not to have them? Do the guests expect them?

#2 binzer

binzer
    • 230 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:36 PM

I don't think it's rude at all not to have them (I hadn't even heard of them until a month ago, and certainly wouldn't expect them if I was attending a wedding).

That being said, I think it is doable if you would like to have OOT bags. I am personally not going to assemble my bags until I reach my destination. That way I can have the bags laid out flat in my luggage, and can keep all my items efficiently bundled. My main item is going to be personalized flipflops, and I'm just having those shipped directly to the hotel. If you're ordering anything bulky (like towels) I'm sure you can do the same (as long as you order them closer to the wedding date).

It sounds like just you and your fiance (and son) will be on the cruise ship, an everyone else will be flying to the destination, so maybe you could pack a suitcase full of the OOT stuff, and leave it with a family member or bridesmaid to bring.

Anyways, if you don't think it's doable, don't worry about it. It may seem like "everyone" does OOT bags based on these forums, but that's because the type of people who post on forums about their wedding details are the same type of people who like to do extra stuff for their wedding. I don't think I've ever seen OOT bags in bridal magazines, and I think they're actually quite rare.

#3 Banana11

Banana11
      • VIP Member
      • 8,841 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:58 PM

We just got back from our cruise wedding. I didn't do OOT bags because of the same reason you mentioned, not wanting to bring it all with us. Instead, we put together a pre cruise care package and mailed them to guests about a month before sailing. We included a passport welcome book, personalized luggage tags, photoshare card, 2009 fridge magnet, and a message in a bottle letting them know we purchased additional on board credit for them. Everything was a hit and it got our guests excited for the upcoming trip! OOT bags are nice but I find that some of the stuff in them are things people already brought along. I have also been the recipient of one from a friend's wedding and the best thing about them was the beach bag itself!

Here's my planning thread if you want to see pics of the pre cruise care package stuff:

http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t35429

#4 ddiinnyyeell

ddiinnyyeell
        • 226 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:16 AM

I think it's totally up to you and not rude at all. I have been rethinking OOT bags. I know they would be nice and appreciated, but with the way airlines are anymore I'm sure I'm going to be charged an arm and a leg just to bring it with me!
          Danielle & John
          Aventura Spa Palace
          October 30, 2009

Wedding Photos By Bella Luce Photography

#5 estella1007

estella1007
          • 475 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:30 AM

Thank you everyone for your comments! I was worried that it was rude not to provide them, but you have eased my mind there! To be honest, I also had never heard of them prior to joining this forum. I am also trying to keep my budget down (the reason we chose a destination wedding in the first place.) I may spring for nicer favors, like personalized towels or something, so everyone has a nice souvenir from the trip. Hopefully that is good enough.

#6 ~*Kathy*~

~*Kathy*~
            • 5,649 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:53 AM

I'm not doing OOT bags and it doesn't worry me. I don't think it's rude not to do them. Some girls do them, some don't...it's a matter of preference. Good luck with everything!! :)

#7 August2010Bride

August2010Bride
              • 369 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:48 AM

I'm not doing them either! Don't have the budget for them, I would have if I had extra money. I don't think it's bad at all to not have them.

#8 Mrs D To Be!

Mrs D To Be!
                • 1,634 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:27 AM

We aren't doing them either. I hadn't heard of them before I joined this forum, so I doubt my guests will have!

When I first joined this forum, I did get carried away, and started including costs of OOT bags into our budget...but our budget just swirled out of control from there! So we cut back, and I'm not too bothered to be honest...one less thing to worry about!

Good luck with the rest of your planning!

#9 merocket59

merocket59
                  • 937 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:31 PM

I'm a cruise bride too and have bought lots of stuff for my bags and I have no idea how I'll be able to fly down with it and get on the ship and I don't have a baby with all the many accessories that come along them so I don't think that you should worry about trying to do all of that. I don't think anyone expects them, we read so much about them on these boards we think they are expected but whenever I mention them to people they don't really know what I'm talking about. I like the idea of getting one nicer item for everyone, maybe a travel mug? Or onboard credit? Or a fountain drink pass?

#10 Banana11

Banana11
                    • VIP Member
                    • 8,841 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

I think on board credit is the most useful gift for a cruise wedding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users