Hello ladiesâ€¦ so Iâ€™m finally home and tried on my dressâ€¦and I have to say: I loooooooooove my dress!! As you might remember, I ordered my replica dress from bigdaydress.They used the same satin material like the original dress I tried on in the storeâ€¦ totally loving it! Itâ€™s maybe 1 size too big though, but thatâ€™s easy to fix â€“ better than not fitting in the dress at all, right? My FI measured me that day, so the sizing could also be our mistake.
So here are the steps of my process â€“ and hopefully it will help some other ladies on the board with their decision and dress hunt:
1. I tried on the original dress in the store. Therefore, I knew how it would look and fit on my body and how the material felt like, etcâ€¦
2. I did check out discount websites like recycle bride, etcâ€¦but what are the chances of having them sell the same dress in the same color in my size, right? I also checked out â€œcheaperâ€ bridal stores like Davidâ€™s Bridal or Alfred Angelo, but didnâ€™t like any of their dresses and didnâ€™t want to just settle for a dress.
3. since my wedding is not til May 2012, I had plenty of time to check out vendorsâ€¦and even if this dress was messed up, I still have plenty of time to order another oneâ€¦ I contacted like 5-6 dress makers that were recommened on this thread, e.g. giannar bridal, jasmine bridal (they were more expensive), jeff liu (he quoted me $400), monicaâ€™s bridal (slow response, even though cheap), babyonline (fast response, but hasnâ€™t created a similar dress for other customers before), etc
4. since I wanted some changes to my dress (no shoulder strap, add beadings), I actually inserted my dress pic from the store to a word document, then draw lines of where the beading should be, I added comments to it, etcâ€¦ you have to keep in mind, that these dress makers are from China and english are not their first languageâ€¦ and since they canâ€™t read my mind â€“ I figured, Iâ€™ll put a lot of details in my instructions as possible and visuals are more helpful than words alone.
5. I sent them pic of the beading that I would like on the dress.
6. I requested approval pics BEFORE they send out my dress.
Why did I choose Bigdaydress? Because I read on other wedding forums (The Knot, wedding bee) great reviews about them. I also asked all the dress makers for pictures of similar dresses that they have created for other customers and bigdaydress sent me several pictures from different clients. And as a customer, I really like it, when they respond to me quickly as bigdaydress did. It made me feel confident and even after I paid for the dress, their customer service response was still fast. I ordered the dress in Mid July, received my approval pics a month later and once I gave them my OK, they shipped it out right away. So it took about 1.5 months to get my dress (of course, I also ordered it during a month, where there are no big holidays in China â€“ so not a busy season). Now that Iâ€™ve tried on the dress, I donâ€™t feel like itâ€™s cheap at allâ€¦I donâ€™t think, anyone can tell if my dress was made in China or if I bought it here. And even though I only paid $369 (original dress was $1400)!! I donâ€™t think, you can get a dress like that for less than $400 at Davidâ€™s Bridal, do you?
I also have to thank the ladies on the board hereâ€¦ without these reviews, I probably would have never even thought about getting a replica dressâ€¦ i was too nervous ordering a replica dress â€“ but after reading all these great reviews from other brides, I figured, Iâ€™ll give it a try. And now, Iâ€™m presenting you my dressâ€¦ what do you think? Hope you like it as much as I doâ€¦
some wrinkles on the dress because of shipping,but totally loving it otherwise: