Photo

We are Canadians, anyone else have to get an Apostilles to marry in Cancun? HELP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cherrity

cherrity
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:05 PM

My daughter is gtting married in the Gran Caribe Real in Cancun and we need an Apostilles, does anyone here know about this legal step they need to take? Thanks

#2 lolo

lolo
    • 187 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

Anyone wanting to marry in mexcio needs to have the Apostilles Creed. It makes bringing the documents to your country easier. Some people find that their wedding is not legal in their counrty. This supposedly makes the transition easy.

It is $500 though which I think is a great way for them to make more money since destination weddings are so popular.

#3 ~*Kathy*~

~*Kathy*~
      • 5,649 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

As lolo said, an apostille is a stamp on your Mexican marriage certificate that certifies you are legally married. When you bring back the marriage certificate to Canada, it is considered a legal document that you may use to change your last name with (if you wish to do so) as well as other things, such as a driver's license, etc. Some resorts include the apostil charge in their wedding package fees, for instance, the Iberostar includes the apostil charge in their pricing. I hope this helps!

#4 CanadaBride

CanadaBride
        • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

Here is some information that someone left on another forum for canadians. I know I am confused myself what all has to happen when it comes to getting married in mexico!

Apostille Canada | Authentication Canada | Legalization Canada | Red Seal Notary: Canada's Leading Notary Public Company

#5 cherrity

cherrity
          • 25 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

Hi, I just want to thank for the information, we have finally got all this legal stuff under control I hope. We made the mistake of talking to to many consulates and they all had conflicting information for us. My daughters fiance is from Manitoba and we are from Alberta so the provinces all require different documents, but in actality all they need to do is get copies of their long birth cert and have them notarized and then send them to the mexican consulate in Calgary and have them translated. So hopefully we have it under control. Hope this helps others. And thanks again to all of you for the help, we needed it lol....everyone take care and hope you all have the weddings of your dreams.
            Bette-Jo

#6 cherrity

cherrity
            • 25 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:58 AM

Yehaw....to get married in Cancun they changed the ruling and no apostilles is needed....just birth certificates and passports...the wedding was amazing...

#7 caribbean-lover

caribbean-lover
              • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:07 AM

actually they just need passports and tourist cards of the couple and the four witnesses (in case they are relatives or friends)

#8 NaM

NaM
                • 2,256 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

the legal part for us will be done in Canada. Everything in Mexico will be symbolic. Makes life easier for us...

#9 prairiegirl

prairiegirl
                  • 133 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

got married in Feb, only needed passports and tourist cards. We our witnesses (4) and had to get blood tests done as well.

All documents were in spanish, once we returned we had then transalated into english, and notarized, and I have changed my bame and documnts no problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users