How to legally change your name

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#51 caribbeanLover

caribbeanLover
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for this info, it's amazing!
    Do you have information in changing your name if your a Canadian?
    http://i1002.photobu..../img-239-1.jpg http://i1002.photobu....0/img-21-1.jpg
    Tracy and Mike

Married and in love all over again!!!!!!
    Happily ever after...

#52 Michelle613

Michelle613
    • 331 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:10 PM

Wow this was so helpful, thanks!
      Michelle & Arsen
      Dreams Cancun June 10, 2010http://img.weddingco...r/qmwm5sy8q.png

#53 *Lo*

*Lo*
      • 2,993 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

I believe for canada it is basically the same. You need your marriage certificate and your original ID and you start with your drivers license and health card, from there I think you can then apply for a new passport with your new name. You do not have to change your social insurance card as far as I know.

When filing your tax return, you simply input your new name on the return and check off the "married" status. You need to enter the date your marital status changed, so whatever your legal marriage date was, and then you are good to go.

#54 Boston Bride 2009

Boston Bride 2009
        • 268 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

Ugghh I have to do this in December when we get back. Booo...but happy to be Mrs. Celado!

#55 caribbeanLover

caribbeanLover
          • 1,619 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by gossip girl
            I believe for canada it is basically the same. You need your marriage certificate and your original ID and you start with your drivers license and health card, from there I think you can then apply for a new passport with your new name. You do not have to change your social insurance card as far as I know.

When filing your tax return, you simply input your new name on the return and check off the "married" status. You need to enter the date your marital status changed, so whatever your legal marriage date was, and then you are good to go.
            great, thanks so much for the info!! :)
            http://i1002.photobu..../img-239-1.jpg http://i1002.photobu....0/img-21-1.jpg
            Tracy and Mike

Married and in love all over again!!!!!!
            Happily ever after...

#56 sherric80

sherric80
            • 70 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:10 PM

I just went to change my name on my driver's license & couldn't!! In Colorado you must have a COUNTY issued marriage license to change your name. All we have is our Jamaican marriage license. So now we have to go to our local courthouse & get a marriage license, but the wedding date will be different. Luckily in Colorado you can marry yourself so we will just sign the paper & be on our way, but now I will have 2 different dates to keep track of.
              Check with your local driver's license office before you leave for your wedding!!! You can get a marriage license from your courthouse & then just put the wedding date on it so you don't have to keep track of 2 different dates. What a pain!!!

#57 angela040504

angela040504
              • 100 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:24 AM

Does anyone know if you have to file your marriage certificate at your own couthouse when you get married in mexico and you are from US? I already went and changed my name with my certificate form mexico and they didnt give me any problems.

#58 mmshaughness

mmshaughness
                • 155 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:46 PM

This is all good information.

I do believe you have to file your marriage certificate within the US. There is a thread on this topic, so I would check that out!

#59 march132010

march132010
                  • 1,057 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

Great thread love step by step things :)

#60 *New* Mrs. G

*New* Mrs. G
                    • 226 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:22 AM

Great thread!! I have my translated & notarized copy of my Spanish marriage certificate. I'm not sure I'll need it for everything but I got it just to be safe. I'll be starting my name change stuff soon so I'll post updates here as I go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users