Sign in to follow this  
irishmatrimony

Do I bring the bags in my own luggage?

I have about 20 to hand out as welcome bags but do I fly them in my own luggage first? We are leaving at the same time as most of our guests. Or do I hand them out at the airport so they can find room in their own luggage? You couldn't use them as carry-ons because I plan to put things with liquid in them like sunscreen and mini booze bottles. Help!

We packed our OOT bags evenly between DH & I and brought the bags in our own luggage. Since we had lots of stuff to bring with us, we were able to give some of our luggage to our parents who came the day after us. It worked out because most of our guests didn't arrive until 2 days after we did.

In your case since you're leaving on the same day as your guests, I'd try to just pack the bags in your own luggage as well. You don't want to frazzle your guests by giving their bags out at the airport & then having them to figure out how to make space in their luggage! If you have a lot of luggage is it possible to give some to any friends & family who are traveling light? Or maybe you can hand them out before you leave & then you won't have to worry about it. There are lots of BDW brides who have mini-get togethers before they left for the DW & handed them out then.

I packed everything in a separate checked bag. Some people might be carrying on and if you give them liquids they would have to discard at the airport. Check everything before assembling, and pack bags flat etc. Then assemble at the destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
I packed everything in a separate checked bag. Some people might be carrying on and if you give them liquids they would have to discard at the airport. Check everything before assembling, and pack bags flat etc. Then assemble at the destination.
I plan on doing that same thing.. it'll be a great activity for the wedding party (I'll throw in some alcohol..haha)!

I had a party at my house the Saturday before we left and gave them out. That way people got to meet each other before we left. It wasnt anything fancy. Just mexican aps and Margaritas. It was alot of fun.

I have a friend and family member that are premier members on airlines. They get up to 3 bags per person free! So I am going to use them to get all of my OOT bags down to Mexico. They are flying down the day after me but I figured this was the best way to save money.

I definitely wouldn't give them out at the airport. Do a get together and give them out or bring them. Assemble them once you're there. Remember for international you still get 2 checked bags free. We're going first class, so we get 3 bags. Also if you have any guests in the military they get extra bags free. Just have them flash their military id and they get extra free and aren't charged for overweight bags.

I would agree that the best way is to pack a seperate bag with just the OOT bag contents and assembly at the hotel. I'm sure the staff at the hotel would be more then happy to give them to guests as they arrive or put it in the rooms prior to arrival.