When to send invites??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Angela139

• 455 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:57 PM

Hello Ladies!

My wedding is scheduled for October 2009, and I'm wondering whether to send invitiations now (or soon) or to wait. I know that with traditional weddings the rule is that you wait until a few months before the date, but many of our guests will need time to save the money to come, and I'm thinking that it may be a good idea to send them out as soon as possible...what do you all think, and what have you done? :)

#2 Bianca

• 1,057 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

I know there are threads out there about this, but I couldn't find any searching... Are you going to have STDs? That can give your guests a wake up call to get on it and start saving money! If you are not going to send out STDs (which if you are, I would do ASAP) I would go ahead with the invites... This is my rule of thumb for well... me...

STD and Invites
      STD--- 12 months in advance or more (I sent mine out about 10 months in advance, totally meant to do it sooner)
      Invites--- ~6 months in advance

Only Invites...
      9-12 months in advance

-You can always have an update mailing or a reminder post card or something later on...
      19 adults/3 children with flights booked! 10 rooms booked!

#3 June_Dreams

• 248 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:10 PM

Does anyone know what to do after you sent your STD & another letter with a brochure, whats next? i want to know who is actually going and i wont know if people go and book their stay through another agent other then the one i am using!!
        <3 <3 <3 Joanna & Orlando <3 <3 <3

#4 Bianca

• 1,057 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:13 PM

Do you have a wedding website? You could make a contact page and ask everyone to send you their travel itineraries once they get them. If they are not tech savy, you could ask them to call or you could include it in an RSVP type card.
          19 adults/3 children with flights booked! 10 rooms booked!

#5 Ana

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 8,047 posts
          • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
          • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
          • LocationToronto

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:15 PM

we waited to send ours out until 5 months before...just to make sure that people had enought time between the STD email and the invite to actually save money and make the reservations

#6 Jess

• 4,455 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:47 PM

For the girls that did the save the date emails - did you use a template or just send out a regular email to everyone? I can't find any threads on STD emails.

#7 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 8,569 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:59 PM

I was thinking of sending the STD's 8-10 months out and then invites 4 or 5 months, I read on the knot.com that is pretty standard for DW's.

#8 Geralyn

• 2,677 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:03 PM

We just sent out our save the dates and it's 8 months until our wedding...prob should have sent them a little sooner. I plan on sending out the invites in the next month or so

#9 hollym

• 62 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:08 AM

I'd like to send StD's but don't have a resort picked out yet and since I don't have a resort I don't know what specific dates are available. Does anyone ever do StDs that are just a month so people have an idea?

#10 LIW

• 197 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:51 PM

I sent out my save the dates this July and we're not getting married until October 2009 (I wanted to give people plenty of notice about our wedding).

If standard ettiquette calls for DW invitations to be sent about 4-6 months in advance, when should people RSVP by? I think for standard AHW, the RSVP deadline is usually 1 month before the wedding, is this too late? I have a few people who are possible coming from the UK and have many more that are coming from out of town. Are travel agent has told us that final payments are due in August, should that be the deadline?

38 people plus bride and groom coming to Cuba!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users