Photo

Air Jamaica just canceled my flight! Do I stay with them or switch?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ~*petals*~

~*petals*~
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

So my travel agent just notified me that Air JA canceled my flight.

She said I could switch the flight to the next day (which would be fine with me since we were going out there to spend a few days before the wedding anyway), or I could switch to US Air and fly both ways with a stop/transfer in Charlotte.

I am definitely trying to get a nonstop flight so I am inclined to stick with Air JA.... but now I'm nervous since we're 6 months out and they're already dropping flights!

Should I worry about sticking with Air JA? (I really want a nonstop flight but I'm nervous that they'll cancel again...)

#2 Kristie O

Kristie O
    • Banned
    • 369 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:35 PM

what a pain, i have no advice though i wish you the best!!

#3 TA Dina

TA Dina
      • 181 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:36 AM

I steer my clients away from JA when at all possible. They are notoriously cancelling flights (at least from this area). If they insist I sell them with a strong warning to be prepared for anything.

I'd personally save myself the stress and go with US.

#4 ~*petals*~

~*petals*~
        • 1,572 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:58 PM

**UPDATE** I now wish I had not recommended that ANYBODY book with Air Jamaica, but at the time they were offering the only nonstop flight from Chicago to Montego Bay, and we all wanted nonstop flights if available...

Now I just found out that they canceled the return flight for MEMORIAL DAY MONDAY! That doesn't make any sense-- that's the whole reason folks take advantage of traveling on the holiday weekend.

My FBIL, FI's cousins, and my parents were all bumped to the Sunday flight. Defeats the entire purpose of the long weekend. I am SO annoyed.

#5 KLC77

KLC77
          • 2,207 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:01 PM

Ooh, this really stinks!
            ~Kelly

Our Awesome Wedding Pics: http://www.delsolpho...ings/kelly&ron/

#6 KHarrod

KHarrod
            • 902 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:33 PM

I would just go with US Airways we used them for our trip to Mexico and it was very nice. The layovers werent that long one plus is that the Charlotte airport is huge with a great variety of food choices and shops.

#7 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
              • 26,161 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:46 PM

I'm so sorry! Air Jamaica is possibly the worst airline we've ever flown, going and coming home. They didn't cancel our flights but the plane was very dated and the crew was less than hospitable...and it's hard for me to speak negatively about anything related to Jamaica because we love Jamaica, but it's true from our experience. All we could do was laugh so we didn't get upset.

Anyway, if it's not too late to change carriers I wouldn't try and change your mind!

#8 ToBeMitchell

ToBeMitchell
                • 67 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

American Airlines just cancelled our flights! We saved $500 but had to switch airlines and fly to Miami first instead of the original direct flight. We were bummed about it but happy to save a litte money!

#9 Myda77

Myda77
                  • 821 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:56 PM

I am flying air jamaica and my wedding is the same day as yours and I am flying back on memorial day also!! Did they give you a reason for canceling your flight? I will be very annoyed if they did that to me!
                    Maida & Tomas
                    Circa 2004 - Our first picture together!

#10 ~*petals*~

~*petals*~
                    • 1,572 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:14 AM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Myda77
                      I am flying air jamaica and my wedding is the same day as yours and I am flying back on memorial day also!! Did they give you a reason for canceling your flight? I will be very annoyed if they did that to me!
                      Good luck! I don't know if they've cut that Monday flight on other routes or just Chicago....

My travel agent told me that they canceled the return flight to Chicago on Memorial Day Monday because they had concerns about flying back empty or close to empty on Tuesday.

She tentatively rebooked everybody (my parents, FI's brother & cousins) to fly back Sunday but that defeats the whole purpose of the long holiday weekend! They'd all have to leave the day after the wedding.

She had meetings in JA last week and said she'd continue to plead our case, so I'm waiting for her to get back to figure out exactly what we're going to do....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users