Photo

Financial Responsibility...who pays for what??

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 ~Kate~

~Kate~
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

I think everyone is different and there is no such thing as "proper" anymore....when we were first planning, we tried to think as though we weren't getting any help and it would just be a bonus if our parents kicked in, just so we weren't counting on anything and were then disappointed. My parents have contributed a lot, which is wonderful, but we really weren't expecting anything!

#12 ~Kate~

~Kate~
    • 329 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

Since this post is duplicate, I replied to the one in the etiquette session. Maybe a mod can delete? thx!

#13 JGAMMAGIRL77

JGAMMAGIRL77
      • 427 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:26 AM

We are paying for our own. If our parent's decide to contribute then that's just a bonus.

#14 klktx

klktx
        • 19 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:15 PM

Going with the flow is something i can definately do! Thanks for the advice!

Kristi

#15 Nanner431

Nanner431
          • 97 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:10 PM

We are also paying for everything ourselves. We thought the cost of them getting there and their wedding attire was plenty enough for them to spend. It will be a bonus if they do contribute any further. I am still getting my dad to do the welcome speech even though they aren't traditionally paying for the reception though.

#16 lgarner83

lgarner83
            • 530 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

Like many others, we started off with the mindset that we were going to pay for the whole thing ourselves and to our wonderful surprise my parents volunteered to pay for our photographer/videographer and for a great portion of our at home reception. FI's parents have volunteered to pay for the rental of the disco for the reception and for another great portion of the at home reception. We didn't think we'd get any help but it falling into place very nicely!

#17 claudiabenitez

claudiabenitez
              • 77 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

Well, since my family is a little bit more traditional, they decide to pay for everything but the photographer (they say that if I wanted to hire JCT I had to pay it, out of budget $$$) and Brian's parents are paying for the honeymoon.

So pretty much, Brian and I, we're just paying for the photographer and rings, but my family is Mexican, and it's tradition for us that the bride's family pay
                everything.
                Oh, and each guest is paying for their accomodation and plane tickets.

Good luck!

#18 march132010

march132010
                • 1,057 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

This has been a very depressive topic for us.. When we got in engaged over a year ago, My mom agreed to pay for everything that had to do with wedding except our travel. My mom then added on all these great things she wanted to have at our wedding, So FI and I paid for all the invitations, my dress, kids clothes, my dad suit and all the gifts for our guest and all the OOY bags and, we decided on the ship we will treat our guest to an hour of free drinks..... Well 27 days before the wedding my mom told me she did not have the money and we needed to pay for it ourselves.... So we had to remove some ok a lot of the things that she added on....................May be this should be in the VENT section

#19 cougs

cougs

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 12,151 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

um what? 27 days before the wedding she backed out of her financial promise? (i say "promise" instead of "responsibility" bc i don't believe it's anyone's parents' responsibility to pay for weddings ... but once they've said they *would*?) terrible to back out now ... and she's probably known for awhile that it was going to be a hardship to cover the expenses ... a heads up a little earlier might have been nice! of course i say this without knowing the circumstances ... has there been a sudden job loss or major expense?

yeah maybe you should repost this under the venting section! LOL!

#20 march132010

march132010
                    • 1,057 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by cougs
                      um what? 27 days before the wedding she backed out of her financial promise? (i say "promise" instead of "responsibility" bc i don't believe it's anyone's parents' responsibility to pay for weddings ... but once they've said they *would*?) terrible to back out now ... and she's probably known for awhile that it was going to be a hardship to cover the expenses ... a heads up a little earlier might have been nice! of course i say this without knowing the circumstances ... has there been a sudden job loss or major expense?

yeah maybe you should repost this under the venting section! LOL!
                      Not sure if what the case was but no sudden job loss or move (they make really good money), Oh I am sure she knew way before 27 days... but we did what we had to do, since we have about 40 people going to our wedding, I'm still mad at her, I was telling FI last night I need counseling, I can not speak to her...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users