Jump to content

Photo

trying to heal a scar...whats the best thing to do??


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Michelle

Michelle
  • Banned
  • 302 posts

    Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:09 PM

    hey girls...ok so i want the scar from my surgery to heal well and its doing pretty good so far but i want to know if there are any tricks or tips that you have on how to make it less noticeable as it heals its on my tummy so i dont want it to be really visible forever...i have no idea where to begin though...give me your ideas please :)

    #2 *Casey*

    *Casey*
    • Sr. Member
    • 5,209 posts

      Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:12 PM

      I was in a car accident a few years ago and had glass cuts all over my body. Needless to say, I had quite a few scars. I went to a dermatologist and he gave me some skin bleach called EpiQuin Micro. It worked like a charm. He also suggested constantly keeping the scars moisturized with a thick creamy lotion or vitamin E oil. Hope this helps!

      #3 KAMAY11

      KAMAY11
      • Jr. Member
      • 456 posts

        Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

        My advice is a Vitamin E lotion of some kind...
        D & K
        October 16th, 2008-Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

        http://tickers.Ticke....7276/event.png

        #4 beachbride08

        beachbride08
        • VIP Member
        • 2,372 posts

          Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by shelly
          hey girls...ok so i want the scar from my surgery to heal well and its doing pretty good so far but i want to know if there are any tricks or tips that you have on how to make it less noticeable as it heals its on my tummy so i dont want it to be really visible forever...i have no idea where to begin though...give me your ideas please :)
          I used Mederma for a surgery scar on my abdomen and for a scratch on my face. I didn't start using it until about 2-3 weeks after the stiches/staples were removed, but then used it daily for a few weeks. Also, don't go tanning or out in the sun without sunscreen on. Tanning will darken the scar.
          Michelle

          #5 Michelle

          Michelle
          • Banned
          • 302 posts

            Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:25 PM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by beachbride08
            I used Mederma for a surgery scar on my abdomen and for a scratch on my face. I didn't start using it until about 2-3 weeks after the stiches/staples were removed, but then used it daily for a few weeks. Also, don't go tanning or out in the sun without sunscreen on. Tanning will darken the scar.
            ok thats good to know to always put sunscreen on it..... where do you get Mederma??

            #6 beachbride08

            beachbride08
            • VIP Member
            • 2,372 posts

              Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:28 PM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by shelly
              ok thats good to know to always put sunscreen on it..... where do you get Mederma??
              I got it at Walgreen's, but most drug stores should have it. There is also a generic one that is cheaper than Mederma. I didn't find out about that until after I got the Mederma, but I don't know the name of it. You can just ask the pharmacist if they carry it, but you don't need a prescription.
              Michelle

              #7 ErinB

              ErinB

                VIP Member

              • VIP Member
              • 9,504 posts

                Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:03 PM

                I second the Vitamin E suggestion.

                There is also this stuff called Strivectin D that you can get at GNC or some department stores. It was formulated to get rid of stretchmarks, so a lot of body builders use it. Recently it has been discovered to do wonders for wrinkles so the price has jumped. It's about $100 per bottle but it does work quickly!

                #8 Michelle

                Michelle
                • Banned
                • 302 posts

                  Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:07 PM

                  thanks for all the suggestions girls! so far its not too noticeable i just hate that its right down the middle of my tummy so it kinda sucks

                  #9 KatyKo

                  KatyKo
                  • Member
                  • 851 posts

                    Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:16 PM

                    I fell over a fence when I was younger and had a scar on my lower leg that I always told people was from a bear (it looked like three long claw marks). I put Cocoa Butter on it multiple times a day. It was a stick like chapstick and I would just put it on anytime I thought about it and they are barely visible now.

                    I think they even make some that don't have a scent now-a-days.

                    Good luck!

                    #10 Amarillis

                    Amarillis
                    • Sr. Member
                    • 1,913 posts

                      Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

                      I would second the vitamin E suggestion, but also another alternative which I have had great luck with is REAL cold pressed coconut oil.

                      You can get it at any healthfood store




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users