An idea for reception flowers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gkashmira

• 1,962 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:46 PM

I went to a wedding last year which had a really simple but lovely arrangement for their centerpeices (I wish I had a picture). We're not going to do it because we'll have too many repeat guests (we already stole a lot of their ideas!) but I think it would be really easy to do and not super expensive:

Glass vase (any shape and size can work) with a single (but large or jumbo) calla lily in it. BUT the thing that was cool was that they didn't just have the flower sitting in the vase it was actually trimmed to just an inch of so stem and then the whole flower was submerged under the water. It looked SO beautiful - especially with candles around it.

I sure it would work for a lot of different types of flowers. I have no idea how the flower didn't float to the top though. Maybe because it was a calla since it was filled with water it easily stayed in place. Or maybe flowers dont' realy float once they're submerged... Anyway this could be a good and not super expensive option someone could do with a lot of different types (and colors) of flowers. The websites below show and the closest thing I can find on the internet. But honestly, the ones I saw looked a million times better! I think the last one looks awesome (it's the same idea but taken to the next level)

Kashmira & Dan
    Happily married since June 16, 2007
    Our mini-video: http://www.bajavideo...m/Kash_Dan.html
    Photo slideshow: http://www.tomasbarron.com/recent.php

#2 TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
    • 11,659 posts
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:19 PM

i did this for my AHR...i used little orchids and a floating candle on top...i will post pics.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
    Awards and recognition: 
    Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
    Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
    Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
    sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
    Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

• 34 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:20 PM

I know that this doesn't have to do with flowers, but it does with centerpieces.
      For our first reception we (I) bought the little round bowls, with scalloped edges, from walmart for 97 cents. Then I bought strings of "pearls," the kind you get on a roll in the craft section, cut off about a foot or so and placed them in the bowl with some black rock and filled them with water. Then we bought black gold fish for 10 cents a piece and put 2 fish in each bowl and topped it off with a white floating candle. My wedding hall had round mirrors they let me use so we placed the bowls on top of the mirror and used and laid more of the pearls around the mirror. Each centerpiece only cost about 3 or 4 dollars. I know your guests can't exactly take them home, but we put a couple pinches of fish food in small "dime bags" from the tobacco store and tied cute sayings to them. I.e. "We know when you leave you might be in a rush, but please take the fish or they will be flushed!" We had a great response! It's also a great idea if you're planning a party to celebrate your wedding when you get back to your home town. My friend used the same idea later for her "celebrate our DW" reception except she didn't use the pearl or candles. We used cool blue marbles and used sand on the mirrors. Anyway, just an alternative ( a cheap one ) to flowers!

• 486 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:50 PM

Those are great ideas for reception flowers. I just want something simple, with lots of candles.

#5 Janet

• VIP Member
        • 7,459 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:48 PM

My sister did the goldfish thing too, since her flowers were orange and red! (Orange fish, red rocks in the bowl)

Our cheapo idea for our wedding is to use limes. They are green, which is one of our colors, they are CHEAP, and they are very Mexican! I bought some rattan placemat thingies and on top of them I am going to put one or two candles, a whole bunch of limes, and one big lily bud nestled into the side of them. I have inspiration pics in my photogallery.

#6 gkashmira

• 1,962 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:16 AM

Janet that sounds like a great idea! I haven't decided on colors yet but I was thinking green too!
            Kashmira & Dan
            Happily married since June 16, 2007
            Our mini-video: http://www.bajavideo...m/Kash_Dan.html
            Photo slideshow: http://www.tomasbarron.com/recent.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users