What wedding band goes with this ring?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CayoLargo

CayoLargo
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:28 PM

Hey ladies,

I am needing some advice. My E-ring is platinum with three stones in round shape and it is time for my FI and I to buy bands. I really wanted a platinum band to match my E-ring but they really are costly so here is my question...

Does white gold look similar to platinum?
    What if I went with a different type of metal would it clash?

I really need to figure out what to do...and I was hoping to buy my bands via internet so who can help me.

What will look good?

thanks

Three Stone Diamond Engagement Ring 1.25cttw (my ring looks similar to this)
    Engaged: December 25, 2007
    Married: February 4, 2009
    Wedding Destination: Cuba
    Wedding Resort: Sol Cayo Largo
    http://www.mywedding...rheannasweddinghttp://www.pictage.com/625373

#2 trance_angelx0x

trance_angelx0x
    • 198 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:30 PM

Platinum is a bit more dark than white gold. I don't think the difference is huge.

#3 1elephant

1elephant
      • VIP Member
      • 15,998 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:36 PM

i know nothing about rings, but what about an eternity ring w/ round stones? or just round stones on the front? we bought ours from Princess-Cut Diamond Wedding Bands

#4 trance_angelx0x

trance_angelx0x
        • 198 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:44 PM

You could go to a store and pretend you want to buy a platinum band with them to see if it would look nice.

#5 adias.angel

adias.angel
          • 719 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by trance_angelx0x
            You could go to a store and pretend you want to buy a platinum band with them to see if it would look nice.
            That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Me E-ring is white gold and next to a platinum one you can tell the difference but its not to bad.

#6 Davematthews16

Davematthews16
            • Banned
            • 1,051 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

I would go into the store and ask to see a platinum band against next to your ring, and a white gold band next to your ring. Ask them if they will wear the same. I know white gold can be re-dipped when it is wearing out, I'm not sure about platinum? I would just base it on the one you love the most :)

#7 Angel

Angel
              • 2,635 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

My ring is white gold and my FI is getting a palladium. Have you looked into palladium?
                This is the site where he is actually getting his band from and this info may help you out.

Palladium Jewelry Danforth Diamond Blog

#8 catandcleo

catandcleo
                • 173 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:28 PM

I would do some research on the different properties of the metals. It seems like i read or heard somewhere that wearing them together, the platinum (which is extremely strong and durable) would wear away the gold over time, because gold is such a softer metal.
                  Also, you should check to see how the look of each metal will change over time, because while they may not look very different together right now, you want to know that they won't look drastically different years from now as well.

#9 kevsgirl

kevsgirl
                  • 1,209 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:53 PM

If it's going to bug you, stick with the same metal.
                    It depends on how pick you are and how much you can see the difference.

My two rings are different Karats - my e-ring is 18k and my band is 14k. I can tell the difference, but I make jewelry. That said, it wasn't enough to make me worry or not love both rings. No one else will notice

Platinum and white gold are different, but not too different.
                    Platinum is much stronger than white gold. And it has a bit of a more steely colour IMO.
                    Palladium is completely different colour, so definitely don't go for that...

If I were you I'd get a small simple platinum band online and then maybe later when you feel richer, get something more blingy :)

Good luck!

#10 Oscar_Ernie

Oscar_Ernie
                    • 266 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

Like a PP, I've also read that since platinum is harder, you really shouldn't put white gold next to it because of the wear and tear on the gold. But, if you're willing to pay to repair it down the road, maybe it's worth saving a few bucks now...IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users