Photo

Consumption Bar Budget advice?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Alyssa

Alyssa
  • 11,793 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:01 PM

my wedding is next Friday and we are planning on having a consumption bar. we have 35 guests (including us) + 2 vendors + 1 baby.

our crowd is split between heavy drinkers, light drinkers and people who don't drink at all, hence the reason we went with the consumption bar.

i am considering wine and beer only with a signature hawaiian drink like Mai Tai's - they will do 1 gallon of Mai Tais for $95 - they say they get 18 drinks out of (that sounds like a lot to me but maybe i pour heavily lol) it.

also, question about wine - i was considering choosing a nice white by the bottle and a nice red (maybe like a charddonay and a merlot) - is this annoying b/c you wouldn't be able to order a pinot grigio or cabernet?

i am starting to think we didn't budget enough $$$ for the bar and freaking out

do you have any other advice for ways to save $ / cut costs?

#2 hanna

hanna
    • 223 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:09 PM

I think what you have planned is great. Would be cute to come up with a cute name for your signature drink, some sort of a play on your names. That way it is more special. I think on white and red is fine, and chardonnay and merlot are good choices are they are really popular.

#3 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
      • 26,161 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:11 PM

How many of the 35 don't drink at all? By light drinkers do you mean 2-3 drinks max? Just trying to figure out how many real drinkers you'll have.

18 drinks/gallon seems like a lot to me too...maybe they go heavy on the ice LOL

As for the types of wine 2 choices is enough IMO, I've been to plenty of events where there are only 2 wine options. If you need to save $$ I wouldn't add it there.

And holy shit your wedding is next Friday?!? Where did the summer go? Do you have butterflies yet?

#4 Alyssa

Alyssa
        • 11,793 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:20 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by starchild
          How many of the 35 don't drink at all? By light drinkers do you mean 2-3 drinks max? Just trying to figure out how many real drinkers you'll have.

18 drinks/gallon seems like a lot to me too...maybe they go heavy on the ice LOL

As for the types of wine 2 choices is enough IMO, I've been to plenty of events where there are only 2 wine options. If you need to save $$ I wouldn't add it there.

And holy shit your wedding is next Friday?!? Where did the summer go? Do you have butterflies yet?
          Yes Jamy i am feeling it now! we leave on Sunday night and have a wedding to attend on Sat night so things are Fing crazy!!!!

ok - as for drinkers:

don't drink (so need softdrinks / water) approx $3 per

light drinker (2 to 3)

medium drinker (4 to 7)

heavy drinker (8 to 10+)

#5 Kristy!

Kristy!

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 6,368 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:28 PM

I will have a similar problem as about half of my family doesn't drink, but FI's family definitely does.

I'll be honest. I'm a white wine drinker and I tend to get frustrated that Chardonnay is always the white wine selected where there is only one choice. I would recommend chosing something different than the typical merlot and chardonnay. Maybe a pinot grigio and a chianti? It's just something a little different, but not way out there.

The signature drink is a good idea. I'm not sure about 18 per gallon either, but maybe they use little glasses. Maybe you could do a virgin sig. drink as well to give the non-drinkers something special. (Even though my mom doesn't drink, I know she likes to have a little umbrella.)

#6 tvt

tvt
            • VIP Member
            • 4,812 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

I think picking a white and red is a great choice and an easy way to limit your bar costs.

IMO when I pick wines for an event I always pick a Merlot and a Pino Grigio. You'll please almost everyone with those types of wines.

#7 Kathie

Kathie
              • 2,654 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:42 PM

I agree on the pinot grigio instead of the chardonnay. I think the merlot would be okay but the chianti or a shiraz would be nice also.

#8 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
                • 26,161 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:43 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Alyssa
                  Yes Jamy i am feeling it now! we leave on Sunday night and have a wedding to attend on Sat night so things are Fing crazy!!!!

ok - as for drinkers:

don't drink (so need softdrinks / water) approx $3 per

light drinker (2 to 3)

medium drinker (4 to 7)

heavy drinker (8 to 10+)
                  Okay I always go with the high estimate to be safe, so I see that as 24 + 56 + 140 = approx. 220 alcoholic drinks.

Those won't all be mai tais, so you have to figure in the beer/wine proportions. I would say at least 8 gallons of mai tais...not sure if that is the right amount but even at 15 drinks/gallon that would cover 120 drinks. $95 x 8...yikes! I hope they are giving you a good deal on beer/wine because the people who don't drink hard will probably make it up with those. And again I chose the high end of approximate drinks per person, a lot will probably be less and a few may be more. This is confusing and costly! Is it too ghetto to sneak in some twelvers of beer? LOL

#9 Alyssa

Alyssa
                  • 11,793 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:49 PM

oh jeez - i think we really underestimated shit.

i personally hate pinot grigio b/c it is so fruity and sweet so i prob won't choose it in case i want a glass of wine lol

i appreciate everyone's comments!

#10 Nrvsbride

Nrvsbride
                    • 5,248 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:52 PM

Alyssa just take into consideration that people tend to drink differently when they are at weddings and especially when they are on vacation. They may drink more just b/c they are in Hawaii. But let's hope they stick to their usual.

I think the white wine/red wine is a good idea but I personally would get pinot instead of a chardonnay. I don't like wine but I throw plenty of parties and James is a bartender and we find that most girls like pinot not chardonnay. And two people have already responded to your thread and said they prefer pinot so I would go with that.

I love the signature drink idea. If you do need more drinks would it be so bad? Maybe if it goes over it won't be so bad. I can't remember if your going to allow beer? Personally I love beer but I think most people don't drink it. They tend to like fancy drinks or wine. So I think you may not need it.

~Jamy its never too ghetto to get a 12 pack! LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users