Menstrual cramps- best solution IYO?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
  • VIP Member
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:24 AM

In your opinion, what is the best way to help menstrual cramps? I've tried everything- Tylonol, Advil, those heating packs, etc etc and I swear none of it works and it's all in our heads. lol

Ah the joys of being a woman Last night it literally felt like someone was stabbing my lower belly Today is alil better but COME ON, wtf.

#2 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 9,504 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:30 AM

My OB told me to start taking 4 Advil 3 times a day (the same as a prescription strength does) at least one day before you actually start. A "preimptive strike" if you will.

You should also avoid caffeine and drink lots of water to stay hydrated.

Those things didn't work for me and I ended up on Vicodin for cramps! LOL
      I'm probably a special case though, and my uterus hates me.

#3 boscobel

boscobel
      • VIP Member
      • 24,213 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:51 AM

The only ones that work for me are ibuprophren from costco that come in a bottle of like a million tablets and they are orange. They are the only ones that work! I get really bad cramps, and aches in my hips. It's weird, like from my upper thigh area to my pelvis hurts in my bones, as well as the stomach cramps. Stupid period. I have mine too now and it sucks to be back to work from a vacation and miserable and on top of that have your period!

#4 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 5,752 posts
        • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:57 AM

jac, my OB/GYN prescribed Ponstel for bad cramps, its basically just a prescription strength NSAID, and they're a miracle drug i tell you!

#5 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
        • VIP Member
        • 18,452 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:02 AM

i always take 4 advil and drink hot chocolate when my cramps are really bothering. that does the trick for me
          ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
          Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
          Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#6 pryzeless

pryzeless
          • 614 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:33 AM

The best solution I have ever found is theraputic grade Peppermint oil rubbed on where ever it hurts. My mom sells youngliving.com products and I have sold everyone I know on it. It can also be used for fevers, congestion, tightness in the chest. etc. I use alot of the products (because my mom gives them to me to try) but Peppermint is the best. You just have to make sure it is high quality. If not, it is not as strong and wont work as well.

#7 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
            • VIP Member
            • 3,160 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

I will try everything you have suggested until I find what works for me!! I also didn't realize caffeine was bad, yikes. I always am drinking coffee. I did this AM too. Thanks ladies, for your advice. :o((

#8 Kathie

Kathie
              • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:30 AM

Believe it or not I know many people who swear by raspberry tea! if you can find it...

#9 Rachelle E.

Rachelle E.
                • VIP Member
                • 4,116 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:30 AM

Ummmm...a sh*t load of booze?!?! ;-) lol!

Seriously though, I used to take 4 advil at once but I'd end up taking WAY more than you're supposed to in a day...that stuff wears off in exactly 4 hours for me so just to get through one day I'd end up taking 20 advil....literally. Not good. So my ob-gyn prescribed naproxen for me. It's basically prescription strength Aleve. That works a lot better but I HAVE to take it at the first barely there, "maybe it's a cramp, maybe not" feeling to give it enough time to kick in. After that though, I'm golden. It lasts a solid 11-12 hrs for me and doesn't make me feel doped up so I can still drive, work etc. That was important to me 'cause I don't have a couple days each month to take off work and be all doped up. You know?

Anyway, I'd look into it for sure!! WAY better than spending the $$ on otc drugs that you end up taking more of. My prescrip is just $5 for 30 pills...which lasts me a looong time since I only have to take 2 per day, and usually only for the first two days.

#10 cheshire_moon

cheshire_moon
                  • 47 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:11 PM

When I was a teen I had SERIOUSLY bad cramps. My mom recommended that I go to the chiropractor, and that was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Helped out a ton, with cramps, headaches, and body aches. Now my BC helps with reduction of PMS issues!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users