Photo

Help ... deciding where to live

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 T&N

T&N
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:47 PM

I'm SOOO stressed out about making a decision regarding where to live in the fall. I'm currently in Thunder Bay finishing off a 1 yr contract with the Cdn gov't (we came to this city so that Nathan could finish his degree. I'm a teacher but had to get a full time job for the year while he went to school - I couldn't get a full time teaching position.)

I got into 2 universities for my Masters and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.

Option #1 - Stay in Thunder Bay: my boss would extend my contract so that I could keep working, take courses & accept an Assistantship with the university worth just over $8000 for the year that would cover my books/tuition. Nathan could get a decent job (although not in his field) and we could save for the wedding/travelling.
    Negatives - we don't really want to be stuck here, we don't have many friends here & we'd both be working but out of our fields. I'd be the least happiest here but the $$ is good.

Option #2 - Move to Ottawa: I was accepted here as well & would study @ U of Ottawa, I could get a transfer to work there, we have friends in the area & we'd be closer to family.
    Negatives - living expenses go way up, Nathan has a job lined up but it's 2 hours away so he'd live with parents during week & come visit on weekends & no assistantship

Option #3 - Move to Barrie area, I take courses through distance education and we both supply teach (in our fields). Family & friends are much closer. We'd be happiest here :)
    Negatives - we're not guaranteed full time hours & it may be slow getting work until we are known better by principals in the area which = unsure about $$. Not sure if we could save tons of $$ here.

Any suggestions or comments are much appreciated. Everyone I know doesn't want to get involved b/c it's my decision. Nathan says he'll be happy with whatever I decide but thats no help either. I think it's a questions of Money VS Happiness

#2 lscilley

lscilley
    • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:54 PM

Personally I would choose happiness over money that is why my FI and I decided to move to Australia for a year after we are married it will be hard $$ wise but it is something we have always wanted to do. If you don't do what makes you happy you may have lots of money but what good is it if your miserable?

#3 Hartyt509

Hartyt509
      • 2,262 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:56 PM

I'd probably stay put for the year - a year isn't a long time and you can save plenty $$ then go home and do what you want to do. Seems a shame to switch in the middle of your Masters

#4 *Heather*

*Heather*

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 9,532 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:44 PM

I say go with Barrie since you think you'll be happiest there and would get to be together. Plus, can't you get a job on the side, like maybe work at a restaurant at night or something? I have a few friends that do this on the side, and the money is great! If you're worried about money this is what I'd do.

Also, Barrie is cheaper to live than Ottawa...

#5 tvt

tvt
          • VIP Member
          • 4,812 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:56 PM

i personally would stick out the year where the money is best. we all know weddings are expensive, and it would be nice to have some saved up for fun things after you are married. so i'd stick it out in the first location and save up to move where you really want to. IMO being tight on money is one of the worst things ever.

#6 DreaW

DreaW
            • Banned
            • 2,462 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:11 PM

i say go where the money is....fighting over money is the number one thing in our relationship (i currently don't have a full time job, since I can't find a perm. teaching job). Yes, happiness and love is important but with out the money it is very tight and frustrations get high

#7 KLC77

KLC77
              • 2,207 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:26 PM

I would go with option #3 because it would make you both happiest and put you closest to friends and family.
                ~Kelly

Our Awesome Wedding Pics: http://www.delsolpho...ings/kelly&ron/

#8 T&N

T&N
                • 141 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm still torn but Ottawa is definately out. I'll msg again when I've made my final decision .... which will be by the end of the week

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users