Photo

Etiquette about buying used?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 heather007

heather007
  • 620 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:10 AM

I bought some parasols from another bride on a different site. However, when I got them home and opened them up, I noticed that the majority of them had tears in the paper fabric or they had been "repaired" but the repairs were very noticable.
    Now, these are my first parasols, so I don't know if they all are like that. I am now hesitant on using them for my wedding [they are coloured so I'm fearful the rips might be very noticable against the bright sand].
    However, I don't want to send them back to her because she is a very nice person and I know that she bought them used too, so it might just be standard wear and tear.
    Am I being too picky about this? Is it normal for the parasols to have rips and such in them?

**When I found the only one that didn't have a rip in it I turned around to show Francis and I promply punctured a whole through it with the corner of the kitchen table. Opps. Haha.... So I know they are fragile.

Thanks Ladies.

~~

#2 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
    • Moderators
    • 25,218 posts
    • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    • LocationSeattle

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:12 AM

mine came from luna bazaar in completely perfect condition, zero holes, rips, tears. but they are very delicate paper, so i would assume that by time they had been toted around a couple times they could be quite thrashed. i dont think it was very nice to not disclose that info to you first tho

#3 foxytv

foxytv
    • VIP Member
    • 7,740 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:20 AM

That definitely should have been disclosed before you agreed to buy them from her.

I would contact her to ask iof she was aware of the tears, and let her know that you would not have bought them from her had you known, based on your concerns w/ the pictures.

I am giving away the extra parasols from my wedding ... but only the ones that were never used and are still in their original packaging. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for the used ones.

#4 heather007

heather007
      • 620 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:46 AM

I payed about $4.00 each.

~~

#5 Sandra E.

Sandra E.
        • 2,183 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

I think she should of let you know the condition that they were in and she should of sent you some pictures.

#6 Jen_S

Jen_S
          • 3,737 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:57 PM

I agree with the others she should have told you the condition they were in. I would call her on it regardless of what you paid.
            Our Honeymoon In Ireland!!

#7 StephanieMN

StephanieMN
            • 1,798 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:32 PM

Well at the very least you could start the ball rolling but sending her an email simply saying that you received them and are noticing small tears in them and are unsure if you will be able to use them due to the damage. You can wait and see what she says.
              Honestly, if she is as nice as she lets on she will refund your money or work something out. If she won't, can she really be considered "nice" if she sends you crappy stuff?

#8 foxytv

foxytv
              • VIP Member
              • 7,740 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:38 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by StephanieMN
                Well at the very least you could start the ball rolling but sending her an email simply saying that you received them and are noticing small tears in them and are unsure if you will be able to use them due to the damage. You can wait and see what she says.
                Honestly, if she is as nice as she lets on she will refund your money or work something out. If she won't, can she really be considered "nice" if she sends you crappy stuff?
                Good point.

I think $4/each sounds a bit steep for used parasols.

I am giving away my un-used ones for free b/c they were only like $10 for a dozen from Oriental Trading (I can't remember the exact price but it was a totally reasonable price).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users