Do you tip a petsitter?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 indypitty

• 110 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:11 AM

And if so, how much? We are leaving tomorrow and I'm getting ready to write the check for the petsitter. We will be gone about 10 days, and the total is $270. I don't know how much I should add on for a tip, but I think I should add something. I was thinking of making it an even $300. Is that cheap?

#2 TammyB

• 10,630 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:25 AM

IMO if you are paying for a petsitting service, no tip is required unless they go above and beyond of what you expect. IE you come home and the dogs had a fresh bath and is groomed. Or if the pet sitter is staying at your house, they clean up for you while you are gone.

What about you just give them their flat rate and buy them a little something from your trip?

#3 DanielleNDerek

• VIP Member
      • 18,452 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

Wow $270 for 10 days is really cheap, wish i lived near you.

I think if he/she does a really good job than you should give them a little something. I think it would be a nice gesture.
        ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
        Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
        Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#4 lucy106

• 2,880 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

Does the petsitter have their own pets? I would assume so, how about a gift card to PetCo or Pet Smart?

#5 Dez921714

• 1,489 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:30 AM

I'd say get them something from your trip
            http://ticker.7910.o....25vdCBpbiA.gif27 Confirmed with Plane Tickets...5 with rooms booked!

150 INVITES / 6 YES / 13 NO

#6 1elephant

• VIP Member
            • 15,998 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:31 AM

i was going to but we never saw our pet sitter after we got home. the company mailed our key back.
              danielle, ours was $280 for 11 days for 2 cats. the company i used wasn't that much more $ for dogs. i know they are all over northern and central jersey, but i don't know about south jersey....

#7 Lisa09

• 22 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:43 AM

My sister pet sits by word of mouth sometimes she gets a cash tip sometimes a gift certificate or a gift. Usually it's like the 2nd time they use her or if it's around a holiday. But she's also just happy to get paid to do something she enjoys part-time.

#8 Alyssa

• 11,793 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:54 AM

do you have cats or dogs? that is SO cheap! wow - i usually bring my dogsitter home a gift from our trip.

#9 Jenn

• 1,557 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:00 PM

Is it through a company or a private person who does it? If its through a company, then I would consider tipping... when I got home and everything was good. If its a private person who does it and sets their own rates, I don't really think its necessary to tip unless they go above and beyond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users