Jump to content

Recommended Posts


 

Originally Posted by TLGnhci View Post

I was considering going to the El Dorado for a night or two as well. 

 

Girls, when you get 20% off a private event, say your reception - what exactly does it take 20% off of?  And I read that someone asked about the ceremony flowers, are they transferred to the reception site? 

 

And, is it lame to not hold a cocktail party and just have guests mingle at a lounge/bar for an hour? 


Not lame at all. I am not having a cocktail party but actually starting my reception right after the ceremony. My WC told me we can start the bar an hour early and serve the food later. This way everyone is at the reception area drinking and we will eat all together. We figured... start the bar an hour before we need to eat (while we are taking some pictures)... that gives us 3 hrs during dinner and dancing stuff. Then we can always head to the bar afterward.

 

Originally Posted by amandamarieb View Post





But of course!
 

For the 20% you get it off food and drink. That includes the wedding cake. 

You can have you're ceremony flowers transfered for sure. That'll just be part of your set up fee (probably around $100 depending on what you have to set up.) In an effort to save money, I am having actual bouquets hang from the chairs at the ceremony lining the aisle. Those flowers will be tied loosely with a gold ribbon. When it is time for the reception, my WC will move them to Zavaz Plaza and place them in the gold blume boxes I've bought. And there you go I have centerpieces. They are charging me $60 per bouquet and most of the centerpieces are listed as $100 so I think it's a good deal.  


 


I know some girls have done it that way and I am sure that will be fine. I was going back and forth about that too until Amy B brought up a good point. If you want everyone to be at the reception when you enter with DH and be announced, you run the risk of some people not being at the reception on time and missing your entrance. My mom flipped out about that so we HAVE TO have a cocktail hour. It works out because we got the free cocktail hour promotion after some urging. Ask about it, maybe they are still running it. 

 

I am doing the same thing! I "coping" what amy did but putting gazebo flowers in the tall vase and taking it to the reception site. I am also planning to use my bridesmaids bouquets as a centerpiece. We are saving some money and reusing the flowers otherwise go bad. My bridesmaids can't even take the bouquet back with them anyway.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have fun!!! This sounds like it's going to be a crazy fun day :)
 

Originally Posted by TLGnhci View Post

Thank you Beaz2be!  I am taking my mom and a friend of mine.  I sent them a slideshow of the types of dresses I am looking for and I think they are gonna make great team mates! 



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Originally Posted by TLGnhci View Post

 

Thank you Beaz2be!  I am taking my mom and a friend of mine.  I sent them a slideshow of the types of dresses I am looking for and I think they are gonna make great team mates! 

 

 

Good luck! My cousin did that. My suggestion pull everything and anything. Try them all on bc you don't know what you'll like on. Also, if you spend too much time looking for the ones you think you'll want the others girls will snatch them all up. If you have a lot, you an use the dresses in your heap to barter with the other brides for the ones that they have on and you like. Isn't  that always the case, you see someone try something on at a sample sale and then you want it?

 

Originally Posted by chong View Post

 

 

 

 

Not lame at all. I am not having a cocktail party but actually starting my reception right after the ceremony. My WC told me we can start the bar an hour early and serve the food later. This way everyone is at the reception area drinking and we will eat all together. We figured... start the bar an hour before we need to eat (while we are taking some pictures)... that gives us 3 hrs during dinner and dancing stuff. Then we can always head to the bar afterward.

 

 

 

I am doing the same thing! I "coping" what amy did but putting gazebo flowers in the tall vase and taking it to the reception site. I am also planning to use my bridesmaids bouquets as a centerpiece. We are saving some money and reusing the flowers otherwise go bad. My bridesmaids can't even take the bouquet back with them anyway.

 

Good idea about BM's flowers. I thought about that but I wanted to have them for photos in between and I wanted to the reception site to have them when people got there too. 

 

What time does your recepetion end? I think with all of my guests and yours, its going to be one crazy night at the mojito bar. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Originally Posted by TLGnhci View Post

 

 

 

Ahh, okay I feel better now.  Oh, and I'm going to the Running of the Brides tomorrow!  Please cross your fingers for me that I find my perfect dress!! :o)  That would just make my day

 

 

 

 

 

That sounds so much fun! Have a great time and hope you find your dream dress.  all I can think of is Monica and Rachel going on Friends and it makes me laugh every time I tthink of it

 

Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Originally Posted by TLGnhci View Post

 

Thank you ladies for all the reassurance about the cocktail party. :o

 

How long did it take everyone to get confirmation on your date when you sent in the deposit form?  They were quick to let us know the dates available and to hold one but once I sent them my money, no more communication!  WTH??  My FI won't do any further planning or talking without that confirmation so I'm kind of stuck.  Then, my WC told me that they only allow so many groups at a time so I have to do that soon.  I wanted to wait a month or so to do the groups b/c I figured that would be a good time for people to book (when all the airlines have their prices out and all).  Ugh, I'm feeling very pressured to make many important decisions all at once and I want (and I believe am going to) take my time! 

 

Ahh, okay I feel better now.  Oh, and I'm going to the Running of the Brides tomorrow!  Please cross your fingers for me that I find my perfect dress!! :o)  That would just make my day!

 

Great idea ~ just may have to steal this one :o

 

 

 

 

Good luck on finding your dress! Let us know how it goes :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK ladies, a few questions.  I am trying to book my reception.  It is looking like i will have 50+ guests.  I thought zocola terrace was too small for a group that big??  anyone had a reception there??  amy, i think you did.  Thoughts on the advantages of it over zavaz plaza??  i think it is more private, but maybe not as much airflow......  also, if anyone had a reception there, was there room for a dance floor??

 

fabio told me i can choose either place

 

also, after all this talk about a cocktail hour, i think i too will just have the bar set up at the reception while we are taking pics!!  genius!! 

 

also wanted to share a few quotes from his e-mail (returned 1 week after i sent it):

 

"I apologize for the delay of my response, unfortunately after the departure our one of our coordinators our volume of work increased significantly and we needed some extra time to get back to all our brides. Thank god this little bump is almost over and we are now committed to get back to responses within 24 hrs.  I thank you for your patience while I get back to you re-mails."

 

Lastly a response to a question i asked him, b/c we aren't booking premium, but my parents are booking honeymoon or presidential:  If another room in my party (my parents) book a premium or honeymoon suite, can we qualify for the free sweet wedding package, Yes! or does it HAVE to be us?? The room must be booked for at least 7 nights + 15 other room nights in any other category. As long as it’s within your wedding group we are ok to honor the free wedding package to you.

 

I would appreciate any feedback and hope these responses in his e-mail help......  Happy friday!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hi amcferron,

I would go with Zavaz Plaza because I think it is more private.  We didn't see a single outsider during our reception.  I also liked it because it is right by a pool and completely outdoors.  Zocola Terrace is private, but there is a restaurant right indoors where everyone else at the resort can go to.  There is for sure dancing room at Zocola Terrace, but I think the set up is way better at Zavaz Plaza, with the round dance floor.

Originally Posted by amcferron View Post

OK ladies, a few questions.  I am trying to book my reception.  It is looking like i will have 50+ guests.  I thought zocola terrace was too small for a group that big??  anyone had a reception there??  amy, i think you did.  Thoughts on the advantages of it over zavaz plaza??  i think it is more private, but maybe not as much airflow......  also, if anyone had a reception there, was there room for a dance floor??

 

fabio told me i can choose either place

 

also, after all this talk about a cocktail hour, i think i too will just have the bar set up at the reception while we are taking pics!!  genius!! 

 

also wanted to share a few quotes from his e-mail (returned 1 week after i sent it):

 

"I apologize for the delay of my response, unfortunately after the departure our one of our coordinators our volume of work increased significantly and we needed some extra time to get back to all our brides. Thank god this little bump is almost over and we are now committed to get back to responses within 24 hrs.  I thank you for your patience while I get back to you re-mails."

 

Lastly a response to a question i asked him, b/c we aren't booking premium, but my parents are booking honeymoon or presidential:  If another room in my party (my parents) book a premium or honeymoon suite, can we qualify for the free sweet wedding package, Yes! or does it HAVE to be us?? The room must be booked for at least 7 nights + 15 other room nights in any other category. As long as it’s within your wedding group we are ok to honor the free wedding package to you.

 

I would appreciate any feedback and hope these responses in his e-mail help......  Happy friday!!


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Originally Posted by taylorwd View Post

 

 

 

 

What's the Running of the Brides?  Lots of luck!!!

 

 

 

 

 

The Running of the Brides is an event where "designer" dresses are on sale for $250, %500, and $700.  I got up at 4am to drive to DC, stand in line for two hours, the second hour of which was as sardines and because there was no order to the progression of the line, people were "butting."  When we finally got to the door, they let in a few people at a time which was an awful idea b/c this led to the first few groups getting like 40 dresses per group.  By the time I got inside, all the racks were emptied and without one dress in hand, I couldn't barter at all.  My mom and friend went off to try and find a nice person to offer one for no return.  I had to stay put so they could find me.  It was chaos and not fun.  I finally got some dresses and was not impressed.  They were definitely samples, some which had not been taken care of, and some looked like they were from the 80s.  I am looking for a mermaid type or fitted in the top and then flowy type dress which every time I even asked a group who had tons of dresses, they said they hadn't seen many.  Most I got my hands on were ball gown or Aline.  Honestly, we probably didn't give it our best effort and it may have been a much better idea to go later in the day.  We were over it by 10am.  I really only saw 2 or 3 gowns that I would have bought and they were already on other brides. 

 

So, all in all, not an enjoyable experience for me.  I was really hopeful and positive but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.  Luckily, I still have plenty of time so maybe my luck will change, and I will find that special dress that will make that dreamy man of mine melt!

 

Staying positive ~ On a good note, Got my approval from Azul today ~ Definitely 5/2/11.  About to leave for some shopping with my daughter who is 13 and a junior bridesmaid.  Gonna look for some bridesmaid dresses and DIY/invitation type stuff.  Have a great day girls, and thank you all so much for the "luck wishes!"

 

 

Originally Posted by MaggieandJay View Post

 

 

GOOD LUCK!!!!

 

Originally Posted by chong View Post

 

Have fun!!! This sounds like it's going to be a crazy fun day :)

 

 

Originally Posted by murmel View Post

 

Good luck on finding your dress! Let us know how it goes :)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Originally Posted by TLGnhci View Post

 

 

 

 

 

The Running of the Brides is an event where "designer" dresses are on sale for $250, %500, and $700.  I got up at 4am to drive to DC, stand in line for two hours, the second hour of which was as sardines and because there was no order to the progression of the line, people were "butting."  When we finally got to the door, they let in a few people at a time which was an awful idea b/c this led to the first few groups getting like 40 dresses per group.  By the time I got inside, all the racks were emptied and without one dress in hand, I couldn't barter at all.  My mom and friend went off to try and find a nice person to offer one for no return.  I had to stay put so they could find me.  It was chaos and not fun.  I finally got some dresses and was not impressed.  They were definitely samples, some which had not been taken care of, and some looked like they were from the 80s.  I am looking for a mermaid type or fitted in the top and then flowy type dress which every time I even asked a group who had tons of dresses, they said they hadn't seen many.  Most I got my hands on were ball gown or Aline.  Honestly, we probably didn't give it our best effort and it may have been a much better idea to go later in the day.  We were over it by 10am.  I really only saw 2 or 3 gowns that I would have bought and they were already on other brides. 

 

So, all in all, not an enjoyable experience for me.  I was really hopeful and positive but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.  Luckily, I still have plenty of time so maybe my luck will change, and I will find that special dress that will make that dreamy man of mine melt!

 

Staying positive ~ On a good note, Got my approval from Azul today ~ Definitely 5/2/11.  About to leave for some shopping with my daughter who is 13 and a junior bridesmaid.  Gonna look for some bridesmaid dresses and DIY/invitation type stuff.  Have a great day girls, and thank you all so much for the "luck wishes!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oh dear! Sorry to hear that it wasn't the wonderful day we had all hoped for. Just stay positive and you'll find your dress :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TLGnhci - sorry the Running of the Brides was such a bust!!  Just not meant to be I guess.

 

You'll find that dream dress somewhere.  Don't worry.  cheers.gif

Enjoy your afternoon w/ your daughter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • Hi everyone! My name is Erin and I am a covid bride. My dream was to have a destination wedding. I wanted it easy, breezy and relaxed, with a whole weekend to celebrate with family and friends. I found the perfect venue, Key Largo Lighthouse Beach! (See http://www.keylargolighthouse.com ). The reviews are amazing, and my experience with the venue has been nothing but great, I have emails to prove it! My wedding was going to be four days of pure bliss, on a private beach with amazing beach houses for my bridal party to stay in (the houses can hold 25 people comfortably!) They even gave us a hugeeee discount because of covid! We planned the whole thing, including catering, desserts, an open bar, dj and photographer. But then covid hit. After moving our date back 3 times, expending our engagement far longer than we wanted, we decided enough was enough. We decided to do a small, local ceremony and reception on August 1st, and we are now married! It wasn’t my dream wedding, but it ended up being perfect, even though it was planned in two weeks! But now we’ve paid for two weddings, and we don’t feel like we need another reception. We want that money to pay off student loans, or put a down payment on a house! Or even for our future child’s college fund. However, we cannot get our money back from the venue, per the contract. Finally to the point of my post, the only way we can get a refund is by finding someone to take our place. No one would pay us directly, it would be the normal way for whoever takes over, you’d pay the venue. You’d also get our discount so you’d save money. If anyone knows someone who wants an amazing destination/beach wedding in 2021, please let me know! I’ll give you more details directly.
    • I hope you have chosen choosen 3d dress too, it looks the best. When my friend was having a Bachelorette Party and we had to find nice looks for the night, it was like a nightmare. Because 4 girls like 4 different styles and it was hard to find the best one. There are a lot of great articles on this topic you can find on the web https://storyofthebride.com/2020/bachelorette-party-looks-that-will-define-the-night/ . But still we had decided on our brain storm that black and white outfits would have the best looking. It was the only one look that everyone shared. So we had not too many options.
    • Vaughan is a city in Ontario, Canada, where my sister got married last February, before the pandemic. This wasn’t a pre-planned wedding. Since her husband hails from there, Vaughan was chosen as the destination for their wedding. It was a great decision they had made because that helped us create memories that I will cherish forever in my life. The attitude and the approach of the locals are so warm that I felt like I was in my hometown. An outdoor event venue was chosen because the climate was exceptional, decorated with lights and flowers. We couldn’t stop ourselves from clicking photographs, and everything was arranged perfectly, making the event all hassle-free. The reception ceremony was neatly done with mouthwatering food preparations. It was fun to have a wedding there and it was an event well organized. If any of you are looking for a destination wedding in Canada, Vaughan is a prudent choice. I have heard Montreal is nice but this was a great experience. Now it’s not the right time folks. Stay safe at your places. Let this pass and then we shall think about such events.
    • Hey! That's an interesting thought. It's important to wear masks though the pandemic wave is being contained in many parts of the world. Keep safe. 
  • Topics

×
×
  • Create New...