Photo

Who should give me away?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Ericka7885

Ericka7885
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:24 AM

I am wondering for those of you have lost your father, who will be giving you away? I have two brothers, but both are standing up in the wedding. My uncle was a thought, but I'm still not sure if he's going to be able to make it. I have even thought about my mom. I know this is going to be an emotional experience for me because my dad cannot be there and I just want it to go as smoothly as possible. Any ideas or suggestions??

#2 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 24,768 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

are you open to the idea of just walking down alone? this is really such a personal decision!

you could do no one, and just mention you dad somehow. or your bothers and/or mother and again mention you dad. or any variation .,,

#3 lucy106

lucy106
      • 2,880 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:27 AM

I would totally go with your mom. Are you close to her? If so then yep thats my vote. You cant rely on your Uncle for sure cuz he is a maybe. If you did the brother thing I would say both bros would have to. Sorry your dad cant be there, that is sad!!

#4 Ericka7885

Ericka7885
        • 63 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for all of the input. I am actually thinking my mom too, we are extremely close. Since my brothers are all ready in the wedding, I am sure it would mean a lot to her. I don't know if I would want to walk down alone, because as I said it is going to be so emotional, I think I will need someone to be there for me and hold my hand.

#5 Jen_S

Jen_S
          • 3,737 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:32 AM

I lost my dad and I orig. thought about doing it solo since I wanted my mom as my MOH, but I think it is more important for here to give me away.
            Our Honeymoon In Ireland!!

#6 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 9,504 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

I love the idea of your mom walking you down the aisle. She could even answer , when asked "who gives this woman to be married..." "Her father and I do."

Ok, I'm already crying! Good luck!

#7 Jackie

Jackie
              • 2,290 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

I lost my dad two. And for the first few months of wedding planning this was all I could think of. How will walk me down?

I finally decided to walk alone half way and then my husband came and got me to walk me the rest of the way. It was beautiful and I am so glad I did it this way.
                Its a had decision to make but no matter what your dad will be there watching over you with a big smile on his face and a heart full of love for you.
                My Dreams Cabo Wedding Review
                http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t22576

#8 Spazz

Spazz
                • VIP Member
                • 10,482 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

My dad passed away almost 2 years ago so I know how hard/emotional this decision is. I was going to have his 2 brothers (my uncles) walk me down, but I'm really not that close to them. So I chose my brother (who I'm very close to and who is my husband's best friend). He was in the wedding as a groomsman, so he walked me down and then took his place in line with the other groomsmen. It was really perfect because he knew what I was feeling as we were walking down the aisle and was there with some great words of support.

#9 Danielle

Danielle
                  • 17 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:55 AM

I was in a wedding last Saturday and the officiant had both parents give my friend away. I think your mom is a very good choice, it seems important to you and I am sure she will be very happy to do so.
                    Warmest Regards,

Danielle

#10 happygilmore

happygilmore
                    • 576 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:57 AM

I lost my dad when I was 15 so I understand the emotional feelings around this decision. My mom will be giving me away and to be honest she didn't really give me and option and I figure if that is what meant the most to her than I would do it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users