AA to charge for 1st checked bag "grrr"

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Yari

Yari
  • VIP Member
  • 10,928 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:50 PM

Are you kidding me...here is the article.

American to charge for 1st checked bag, cut flights - Yahoo! News

#2 Christine

Christine
    • VIP Member
    • 21,514 posts
    • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
    • Wedding Location:Napa, California
    • LocationReno, NV

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:52 PM

I just saw this on MSN, for the 1st bag, that is crazy.
    Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#3 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 10,366 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

omg, that is crazy.

#4 JessicaM

JessicaM
      • Vendor
      • 1,969 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:22 PM

When I read this article this morning I thought I read it wrong...that is crazy!!

#5 jajajaja

jajajaja
        • VIP Member
        • 9,794 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:22 PM

OMG. I read this and was like why's Yari surprised. Haven't they been talking about this for the past few months. But I just reread it and realized it was for FIRST BAG! Holy crap! I'm fearful because I'm sure all others will follow.
          Happily married since 2008

#6 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 5,752 posts
          • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:26 PM

i wonder if this policy is like the one they did before where its only applicable to people who bought their tickets past a certain date... i am going to call and find out

#7 Kristy!

Kristy!

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 6,368 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:26 PM

Does "overseas" mean all international flights? I'm screwed if it doesn't.

#8 Jenn3878

Jenn3878
            • 5,681 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

Wow this sucks for all the DW Brides needing to lug crap with them

#9 Yari

Yari
              • VIP Member
              • 10,928 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:46 PM

Maura let us know what they say.

I am furious about this. I doesn't seem right.

#10 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 5,752 posts
                • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

Alright just got off the phone with AA's 800 number for customer service (800-433-7300)...
                This is what they told me, and remember this applies specifically to my situation so should you have tickets with AA you should call and ask for your specific travel dates and destination.

We purchased our tickets in early March. We leave Chicago Aug 6th, and return Aug 16th.

I WAS TOLD THAT THE EXTRA BAGGAGE FEES, AND THE NEW $15/FIRST BAG FEE DOES NOT APPLY TO US. They said that this is mostly only for DOMESTIC flights and flights to the USVI. I said ok, so for example, any of my friends traveling to Mexico for my wedding or anyone in general flying to Mexico who purchased a ticket before the original bag fee hike does not have to pay either bag fee? she said correct.

So she told me that this basically only applies to domestic and USVI flights, but if you buy your tickets after June 15, you should still call and ask whether it applies to you if you are flying out of the country.

and I was also directed to this webpage: Net SAAver & Special Offers - Special Offer Details

Updated Checked Bag Policies

Know before you go!

Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after May 12, 2008 but before June 15, 2008 may check one bag for free and check a second bag for $25 each way. Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after June 15, 2008 will be charged $15 each way for the first checked bag and $25 each way for the second checked bag. Our carry-on policy of one personal item (such as a purse or laptop bag) plus one bag remains in place.

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a bag provided the bag is within the weight allowance:

For the first checked bag, customers who buy a ticket before June 15, 2008, or who fly before June 15, 2008
                For the second checked bag, customers who purchased a ticket before May 12, 2008
                Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada
                Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
                Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
                Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection®
                Customers traveling on government or military fares
                Military passengers on active duty
                AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members
                oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
                Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
                AAnytime® Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets
                First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in
                AAirpass travel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users