• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#31 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 18,759 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Alyssa
    this thread has really got me thinking about the 'glass ceiling' - i wonder how much our FI's all make - i see the average so far on this thread is the $30000 to $50000 range - i bet it is higher for men!

what do you girls think about another poll for our FI's/DH's so we can get a sense?
    That would be interesting. Right now Mike makes more than me, but it's because I'm in grad school. Not sure what it will be like once I have a phd. I don't strive to make a lot of money. I like good hours, vacation time, & a job I like doing & feel good about. Mike cares more about his income. I prefer just to live cheaper & invest well and not work as hard.

#32 Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 5,752 posts
    • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by can't wait!
    Hey, I'm a reporter! We aren't so bad! j/k Maura
    And I too got a masters degree out of college. Teaching at a local college wouldn't be so bad now that I think of it. But I will have to wait until I'm ready for a career change. I'm a TV reporter for a top ten market and that is extremely fun but demanding. I can't complain about the pay though, I will be pushing 100k this year and I'm a year from turning 30. Life could be worse.
    TV is a whole 'nother ballgame.

the salary structure is VASTLY different than in print journalism. here in chicago, many of the big local stations fired/dropped the contracts of the biggest anchors so they could stop paying their HUGE salaries - and hire new talent that is less experienced and would have no problem being paid $75-80K compared to what they were making in a smaller market.

with regard to teaching though - i am able to fit it into my regular schedule. part of the reason i decided to teach is because that is something i can fall back on doing part time in addition to freelancing if and when i decide to take time off to have kids. i honestly like working so i cant see myself giving up my job completely to have kids, but then i dont know what the maternity leave policy is like at my company - i know it's partially paid. but if i have to leave, then i can always teach part time and freelance. the masters in journalism gives you a lot of freedom that other journalists without it dont have.

#33 stacey

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 4,853 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:54 PM

I am an insurance agent, specializing in personal and commercial insurance. I have been doing this a little over a year. I was in advertising where the money was GREAT, but the stress was not. So I quit my job and took off about 4 months last spring, trying to figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, then stumbled into the career where I am now. The money isnt great, I will make about $38,000 this year, but it will get better in the future. The change was well worth it. Oh by the way, to any of the brides living in California, I also sell wedding insurance. If you are interested let me know, it is relatively cheap and is absolutley necessary for a DW.

By the way I would love to see a 2nd pole.
      Stacey & Ely 10.14.2008

#34 Martha

• VIP Member
      • 3,906 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:58 PM

I work in the highest paying school districts in San Antonio. I make about $45,000 a year. Which for a teacher is pretty good.

We get raises every year and when I finally earn my masters in August and get bumped up a year, it will go up about 2k. BUT, we are moving back home and I will end up making about 5k less than this year...it will be worth it though because I want to be closer to family and friends.

Can't complain because I only work 187 days a year and have retirement and insurance. :)

#35 ACDCDCAC

• Moderators
        • 25,218 posts
        • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
        • LocationSeattle

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:10 PM

i didn't read all the posts, but after voting, i see i am jealous of 2 people so far! i like my job but i hate my pay

#36 Bride010101

• 1,547 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:40 PM

I'm a student (in my last year - yah!). Our last year of curriculum has us doing rotations or externships... so basically I work 40+ hours a week for the next year and PAY around$40,000 to do so.

#37 mmontgo

• 191 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

I work as an Account Executive for a PBM. I make $51,765. I'm in school working on a business degree. I'm thinking of opening my own business one day either daycare or a travel agency.

#38 amyrak

• 469 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

I'm an accountant for a hospital in Michigan (where the economy really sucks right now) Non-profit accountants don't usually get paid as much but I like what I do and the vacation, benefits, and flexibility are great.

#39 Neema29

• 116 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

I am a clinical pharmacist working for an HMO. I also still work as a hospital pharmacist PRN. Currently I am at a crossroads..I am contemplating my true purpose! I actually have an undergradute degree in biology and then went back to Pharmacy school to get my PharmD. All those years of school and now I am somewhat disapointed. I want to do something else but I don't know what!!!

#40 kevsgirl

• 1,209 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:12 PM

I'm a researcher, working for a non-profit agency in Resource Development. I do prospecting for business development and major gifts. I make a little over $40K.
                  I have a Master's in Medieval Studies and did 3.5 years of a PhD as well, but didn't complete it.

I think I'd like to become a jeweller and open my own shop. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users