Gran Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum/Coba - POST HERE!

• VIP Member

I HIGHLY recommend you don't do your trash the dress inside the resort... I'm sure you could get good pictures, however it's pretty crowded and there is a lot of stuff in the background.  So I'd recommend going off property for that.

But as far as wedding day, I just wander and find places as I go.  It all differs based on lighting.  The day before the wedding my assistant (I lovingly call her mom) and I toured the entire resort (all three sections) to find the best places for taking pictures at the time of the day we'd be taking them.  I would suggest that she goes about it in that way, to make sure that she is able to work within her abilities and style.  I'm positive she'll find great places :) 

So have her do that the day before your wedding.  Then I suggest having a route.  I always plan a route so that I end up where I want to end up with very little to no backtracking.  It's extremely time efficient. 

For Cheryl's wedding (in January so lighting is WAY different at that time of year compared to some months... so again, have your photographer scope it all out ahead of time) we started at the ceremony location, headed went into Akumal, went to the swing bar for a drink, sent the bridal party away, then went to the hacienda, then back to Coba.

Hiya all...question for the Tulum Beach brides...I'm told by Jazmin that my ceremony music is to be on a CD..(non-mp3 form)..which is fine...but does anyone know who 'man's' the music during the ceremony? Like do they literally just press 'play'..and 'stop'..or do they make efforts to fade the music out? I just don't want it to sound choppy..and i know there's really no way around it - especially if its still the middle of the song when it needs to be stopped - but would be nice if they at least tried to make it sound smooth

Any suggestions?

Oh! and have any of you had the mariachi band for after the ceremony? Did they start playing literally for the recessional?
Just curious how others have co-ordinated in the past. I want the mariachi band for the champagne after the ceremony..but i haven't book an actual 'cocktail hour' or anything. I just figured everyone would head to the main lobby bar for drinks before dinner while we got pics done.
But having said that..i want a giant group picture right after the ceremony before everyone dispurses so not sure how to co-ordinate that with the mariachi band either.

Helllllp! Thanks!

Thanks! I kinda told her all that before saying that we have the whole resort so she should just explore when she gets there and get inspired!

Bummer about the TTD... we were planning on getting up early the next morning and trying to do some sunrise photos just on the resort beach for our TTD session. This is mostly due to the fact that she is leaving the day after the wedding in the afternoon so it doesn't really leave us many options, and I don't really want to pay more money for the resort photogs since they are SO expensive. Oh well I guess... we will just have to make it work :)

Thanks once again!

Originally Posted by Tlseege View Post

I HIGHLY recommend you don't do your trash the dress inside the resort... I'm sure you could get good pictures, however it's pretty crowded and there is a lot of stuff in the background.  So I'd recommend going off property for that.

But as far as wedding day, I just wander and find places as I go.  It all differs based on lighting.  The day before the wedding my assistant (I lovingly call her mom) and I toured the entire resort (all three sections) to find the best places for taking pictures at the time of the day we'd be taking them.  I would suggest that she goes about it in that way, to make sure that she is able to work within her abilities and style.  I'm positive she'll find great places :) 

So have her do that the day before your wedding.  Then I suggest having a route.  I always plan a route so that I end up where I want to end up with very little to no backtracking.  It's extremely time efficient. 

For Cheryl's wedding (in January so lighting is WAY different at that time of year compared to some months... so again, have your photographer scope it all out ahead of time) we started at the ceremony location, headed went into Akumal, went to the swing bar for a drink, sent the bridal party away, then went to the hacienda, then back to Coba.

So if we were to do the speeches during the dinner portion of the night, I am guessing its fairly quite before other guests start coming in so there is no need for any kind of sound equipment... would I be correct in this? I really like the idea of using the extra time during dinner (that everyone says you have) for something "useful" but I also want to make sure that everyone will be able to hear :)

You won't need any sound equipment, everyone should hear just fine :)

Originally Posted by stylishmeNC View Post

So if we were to do the speeches during the dinner portion of the night, I am guessing its fairly quite before other guests start coming in so there is no need for any kind of sound equipment... would I be correct in this? I really like the idea of using the extra time during dinner (that everyone says you have) for something "useful" but I also want to make sure that everyone will be able to hear :)

I didn't use a CD for mine but I did see quite a few weddings that did.  They had a guy manning the music station and the music always sounded great to me!  We used the mexican guitar duet for our ceremony and they were a big hit with the guests because they loved having the local mexican flair.  They cost $265 for 45 min. and I believe that was the minimum time they would do, so I imagine it's the same for the mariachis...

Originally Posted by Sunshine2680 View Post

Hiya all...question for the Tulum Beach brides...I'm told by Jazmin that my ceremony music is to be on a CD..(non-mp3 form)..which is fine...but does anyone know who 'man's' the music during the ceremony? Like do they literally just press 'play'..and 'stop'..or do they make efforts to fade the music out? I just don't want it to sound choppy..and i know there's really no way around it - especially if its still the middle of the song when it needs to be stopped - but would be nice if they at least tried to make it sound smooth

Any suggestions?

Oh! and have any of you had the mariachi band for after the ceremony? Did they start playing literally for the recessional?
Just curious how others have co-ordinated in the past. I want the mariachi band for the champagne after the ceremony..but i haven't book an actual 'cocktail hour' or anything. I just figured everyone would head to the main lobby bar for drinks before dinner while we got pics done.
But having said that..i want a giant group picture right after the ceremony before everyone dispurses so not sure how to co-ordinate that with the mariachi band either.

Helllllp! Thanks!

Hi Everyone again!

This will be a different type of post...

My FI has been battling cancer since April of 2012.  He has had chemo, one minor and two major surgeries.  We were under the impression he was in the clear.  We picked our resort, ordered STDs, made our wedding website and picked our bridal party. My FI began experiencing headaches that were abnormal.  I emailed his oncologist and an MRI was ordered. On Valentine's Day, we were called and told that he had a 4cm brain tumor and to go to the hospital immediately.  We have been so positive, but when you hear brain surgery, I thought the worst.  He still made an effort to make me smile and happy on Valentine's Day even though we were in the hospital.  The surgery was this morning.  He looks great.  They got the tumor.  He has no side effects that we were warned of.  It is amazing.  The neurology team is amazing and sensitive and patient.  We are waiting for the pathology to confirm that the tumor is cancer, and he has to start radiation if so.  

I am sharing this because I searched BDW site for a group for the people that are planning their wedding in the midst of illness.  There didn't seem to be any.  Not to preach, but cherish your health, and the health of your partner.  I felt like the luckiest woman on earth today when I saw him in recovery.  I share my story, because I know people will wish him the best.  And we need that!

On a lighter note, I am pumped to go back to planning.  I came back from the hospital today to find my STDs delivered.  It looks like I will have something to keep me busy while I keep him company in the hospital--carefully print the addresses of my favourite people on the planet to invite to my DW in Mexico.  

Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that this is nearly the end of our journey with cancer.

I hope this was inspiring rather than depressing.  

Katie

• VIP Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshine2680 View Post

Any suggestions?

Helllllp! Thanks!

They make the music transition really nicely actually.  At least I think so, so you shouldn't worry.  They fade it out and there is always someone there manning it.

I had the Mariachi band play inside the Akumal Lobby bar 45 minutes after my ceremony was finished.  The reason was because everyone is congratulating you immediately after.  Then you do a toast.  Then you do your group pictures and your family formal pictures.  During this time, although it'd be pleasant to listen to, I don't think you'd be getting the biggest bang from your buck in regards to the mariachis.  I think your guests would enjoy them more when they can sit down and have a drink and listen??

Bummer about the TTD... we were planning on getting up early the next morning and trying to do some sunrise photos just on the resort beach for our TTD session. This is mostly due to the fact that she is leaving the day after the wedding in the afternoon so it doesn't really leave us many options, and I don't really want to pay more money for the resort photogs since they are SO expensive. Oh well I guess... we will just have to make it work :)

Thanks once again!

You can most certainly do a sunrise trash the dress.  It won't be crowded at sunrise. 

I would suggest either the Akumal cove (to the right of the wedding site) or the far end of tulum... the VERY far end.  There is also an abandoned hotel if you walk on the coral past the Akumal cove.  It's really awesome over there, but sadly when we were there the water had a lot of seaweed, but I still think it's prettier than the resort beaches for a trash the dress session.

You shouldn't need sound equipment at all, well, unless you have a group of 100 :) 

Originally Posted by katiemac View Post

Hi Everyone again!

This will be a different type of post...

My FI has been battling cancer since April of 2012.  He has had chemo, one minor and two major surgeries.  We were under the impression he was in the clear.  We picked our resort, ordered STDs, made our wedding website and picked our bridal party. My FI began experiencing headaches that were abnormal.  I emailed his oncologist and an MRI was ordered. On Valentine's Day, we were called and told that he had a 4cm brain tumor and to go to the hospital immediately.  We have been so positive, but when you hear brain surgery, I thought the worst.  He still made an effort to make me smile and happy on Valentine's Day even though we were in the hospital.  The surgery was this morning.  He looks great.  They got the tumor.  He has no side effects that we were warned of.  It is amazing.  The neurology team is amazing and sensitive and patient.  We are waiting for the pathology to confirm that the tumor is cancer, and he has to start radiation if so.  

I am sharing this because I searched BDW site for a group for the people that are planning their wedding in the midst of illness.  There didn't seem to be any.  Not to preach, but cherish your health, and the health of your partner.  I felt like the luckiest woman on earth today when I saw him in recovery.  I share my story, because I know people will wish him the best.  And we need that!

On a lighter note, I am pumped to go back to planning.  I came back from the hospital today to find my STDs delivered.  It looks like I will have something to keep me busy while I keep him company in the hospital--carefully print the addresses of my favourite people on the planet to invite to my DW in Mexico.  

Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that this is nearly the end of our journey with cancer.

I hope this was inspiring rather than depressing.  

Katie

Katie, it breaks my heart to read your post.  One of my guests at my wedding was battling brain cancer at the time and so it really hits home to read your post. 

I wish you guys nothing but the best and I pray that he is okay.

Thanks Tlseege - so what would you suggest with regards to the mariachi band? should we wait until after we've had the toast and group pics and send everyone to the Tulum lobby to hear them while they drink?

Originally Posted by Tlseege View Post

Quote:

They make the music transition really nicely actually.  At least I think so, so you shouldn't worry.  They fade it out and there is always someone there manning it.

I had the Mariachi band play inside the Akumal Lobby bar 45 minutes after my ceremony was finished.  The reason was because everyone is congratulating you immediately after.  Then you do a toast.  Then you do your group pictures and your family formal pictures.  During this time, although it'd be pleasant to listen to, I don't think you'd be getting the biggest bang from your buck in regards to the mariachis.  I think your guests would enjoy them more when they can sit down and have a drink and listen??

You can most certainly do a sunrise trash the dress.  It won't be crowded at sunrise. 

I would suggest either the Akumal cove (to the right of the wedding site) or the far end of tulum... the VERY far end.  There is also an abandoned hotel if you walk on the coral past the Akumal cove.  It's really awesome over there, but sadly when we were there the water had a lot of seaweed, but I still think it's prettier than the resort beaches for a trash the dress session.

You shouldn't need sound equipment at all, well, unless you have a group of 100 :) 

Katie, it breaks my heart to read your post.  One of my guests at my wedding was battling brain cancer at the time and so it really hits home to read your post. 

I wish you guys nothing but the best and I pray that he is okay.

Thanks TSilva

Originally Posted by TSilva View Post

Fraggle42,

So far we have 62 guests confirmed! The only cost involved in the poolside reception is the private bar which at minimum was $5pp for beer, wine and margarita (I'm hoping they include everything...vodka, tequila, etc. as they did with past brides) and the DJ $210 USD per hour or resort sound system $60 USD per hour. I have yet to confirm their sound quality. I believe the receptions are normally 2-3 hours. One of the brides I have been back and forth with had her poolside reception scheduled for 8-11pm. Hope this helps!

TSilva