Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dinzers

Gran Bahia Principe vs. Riu Ocho Rios

Recommended Posts

Hi there!

I'm brand new to the BDW Jamaica Forum and desperately need help...

My fiance and I are planning our wedding for May 2009 and we are having the hardest time trying to decide which resort to choose from. We've narrowed it down to 2:

 

Gran Bahia Principe (Runaway Bay) OR Riu Ocho Rios

 

PLLEEASE HELLLLPP!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

Welcome to the forum:)

You will find lots of info on here..We just got married at the Riu in April. The resort is really nice...I haven't been to the Gran Bahia Principe but a girl i work with has been to the Gran Bahia in Mexico and said that that hotel chain is great

 

Happy planningcheer2.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinzers View Post
Hi there!
I'm brand new to the BDW Jamaica Forum and desperately need help...
My fiance and I are planning our wedding for May 2009 and we are having the hardest time trying to decide which resort to choose from. We've narrowed it down to 2:

Gran Bahia Principe (Runaway Bay) OR Riu Ocho Rios

PLLEEASE HELLLLPP!!!!!!!
Picking the resort is the stressful part I found. Do what the two of you want and don't let other people make your decisions..that's my advice :)
Both hotels are very high quality hotels. I am not too sure on Gran Bahia but it looked nice when I was checking out the sites. ROR is a very large resort so if you have a lot of guests planning on attending it would be ideal (if you don't all want to be together). ROR also offers a free wedding package. If you are considering the wedding there, you should maybe look into wedding dates..they fill up very quickly.
If I can help with any other info on ROR (i am getting married there in jan 09) let me know. I am always willing to help.
Happy planning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks so much for the help...i cant deny that im stressed. we want to finalize our destination by the end of next wk! i just hope i can find someone who has had their wedding there (Gran Bahia) before we make our final decision. I've looked high and low on the net for a wedding review and I cant seem to locate anybody that's been married at that particular resort. Let me know if you stumble upon someone. I NEED feedback!!! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do know of a bride on the canadianbride.com talkboards who got married there, her name was Mel I think... you could try there... I am not sure if she checks in too often. She had a beautiful wedding, her pictures were great and she said they had a wonderful time. I think the only comments that were negative were that the prices of the packages there add up very quickly.

 

My in-laws went to that resort shortly after opening and they enjoyed it but they said the beach is man-made so it's a bit rocky and gravelly... but that was 2 years ago and I am sure they have made improvements!

 

We were married at the Riu Ocho Rios and it was amazing, so I of course can recommend it! We did drive by the Gran Bahia though and it does look stunning as well, all brand new and sparkling white!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, we looked at GBPJ and were very close to choosing it. The resort looks beautiful and their gazebo off the beach for the weddings - totally perfect.

 

The problems that we had with it was that it was still fairly new so alot of the travel reviews I read said that their was still some construction going on. That was at the beginning of the year so by the time you get married, maybe things will settle down. One TA also said that it was super huge, and although ROR is pretty big, I hear that you definately need to use the shuttle carts to get around. Oh ya, and they have a service charge on using the in-room safe!!! What?!?! I know... That bothered me but I guess if you get the golden package (I think that's what it's called) - the safe is included.

 

Our big concern with the Gran Bahia was the wedding costs - I think they have a single wedding package that starts at $1400 - which includes some of the basic stuff, ie paperwork, decorated location, semi-private dinner for up to 12, cake, etc. If you are having a lot of people (I think over 12 - we are having approx 50), you HAVE to have a private dinner reception where you have to buy plated menu meals which were crazy expensive (ie. appetizers $15-25, main entree meal $40-45, this is per person cost)... it was like having a wedding locally for pete's sake. Also, open bar was another upcharge to have during the dinner (but this is typical I find for all the resorts). Also, I didn't feel comfortable with the communication with the wedding coordinator (Yanique), like I always felt pressured to book the date even though I was just asking questions and I confirmed with Mel (who jmhein mentioned above on the canadianbride.com forum) that Yanique was self absorbed and was new. But overall, Mel said she was happy with her wedding and her pictures turned out great.

 

I know it sounds like I'm giving GBPJ a bum wrap but I still really really wanted to get married there (new resort, near the airport, beautiful wedding location). But because of the amount of people we were having.. the costs just kept on piling on... we opted to go ROR. To be honest with you, the great reviews and the amount of brides going to the ROR was really comforting because like you, I had trouble finding feedback for the Gran Bahia.

 

Hopefully this helps you make a decision... I know it was super tough for me! Hang in there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinzers View Post
thanks so much for the help...i cant deny that im stressed. we want to finalize our destination by the end of next wk! i just hope i can find someone who has had their wedding there (Gran Bahia) before we make our final decision. I've looked high and low on the net for a wedding review and I cant seem to locate anybody that's been married at that particular resort. Let me know if you stumble upon someone. I NEED feedback!!! lol
Look on trip advisor. They may have a wedding review but if not they will at least have reviews of the hotel I would think.
Let us know which one you pick :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know people that when at th GBP last week. They said the resort is beautiful, food is great an everything is perfect .BUt the only thing they said it's they're is almost not any beach. I think the beach is better at the ROR depending on what you are looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaica08 View Post
... Oh ya, and they have a service charge on using the in-room safe!!! What?!?! I know... That bothered me but I guess if you get the golden package (I think that's what it's called) - the safe is included.

Our big concern with the Gran Bahia was the wedding costs - I think they have a single wedding package that starts at $1400 - which includes some of the basic stuff, ie paperwork, decorated location, semi-private dinner for up to 12, cake, etc. If you are having a lot of people (I think over 12 - we are having approx 50), you HAVE to have a private dinner reception where you have to buy plated menu meals which were crazy expensive (ie. appetizers $15-25, main entree meal $40-45, this is per person cost)... it was like having a wedding locally for pete's sake. Also, open bar was another upcharge to have during the dinner (but this is typical I find for all the resorts)...
This is exactly why we went with ROR. We're leaving tonight, I'll post some sort of a review when I get back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • How to login Hotmail? Today I am going to show you how to login to any Hotmail account on Desktop and Mobile. If you have a Hotmail account but you don’t know how to sign in Hotmail, this post helps you login Hotmail easy way with pictures. If you don’t have Hotmail account, of course, let Sign up Hotmail. And now, Here is how to sign in Hotmail.
       
    • I and my partner are going to get married on August 12th. We met each other through a lesbian dating website. Both of us want that day to be a memorable day. We are in confused on which dress to wear for the wedding ceremony. Any suggestion on lesbian wedding dress? I prefer white, whereas my partner prefers of-white. Which one do you think will look good? Should we go for same dress or different one? Share your thoughts.
    • Choose the flower that is matching with the bride and gown dress.
    • Hotmail gmail login: How to change your gmail password and how to delete your Gmail account? GMAIL is the most popular emailing service, with almost had a billion people worldwide logging on every day to check their emails. Google has recently added a number of new updates to make it easier to secure your Gmail, as well as safely deleting your email account. How do you change your password or delete your hotmail account?
    • Việc tìm kiếm một phòng khám bệnh trĩ uy tín sẽ giúp người bệnh giảm bớt được cơn ác mộng đối với căn bệnh này. Bài viết dưới đây sẽ cung cấp giúp các bạn một số những thông tin về phòng khám bệnh trĩ Thái Hà http://benhtrithaiha.com
  • Topics

×