Sign in to follow this  
MelanieS

Did the wind blow out your votives?

We wanted votives on the tables for my daughter's outdoor reception, but it is usually windy near the beach. Did you have trouble lighting the votives or keeping them lit?

You know, I have to say, EDR was really windy when I was there. They had a difficult time blocking the wind from the restaurants (especially JoJo's) and they had these shades that acted to block the wind. Maybe I went in a windier time of the year (March), but I could see them getting blown out, even if they were in something deeper. Candles were getting blown out left, right and center!

Sorry if I'm bursting the votive-bubble, but I really did think EDR was exceptionally windy at night. Where is the reception?

The reception will be at Tucanes. I've never been anywhere in the Caribbean that the wind hasn't always blown alot, but I do think March is especially windy.

I'm not sure what the wind situation will be like, but just in case, I'm getting little votive LED candles, they look relatively real and they flicker, but they can't blow out and have over 50 hours of battery life. I'm not sure yet what color I'm getting, but here is what they look like (not necessarily green)

12 Green LED Flicker Tea Lights Wedding Garden Candles: 002520-013 VirtualVillage.com

It might not be as cute as real candles, but at least they will last, plus i have this nightmare about them getting blown over and lighting the tables on fire. They also have LED floating candles, which I'll use for my centerpieces.

I don't know about the EDR and the Caribbean wind, but LC lights hundreds of candles. I don't remember any blowing out- except the couple I knocked in the sand while dancing. Oops. Then again, there wasn't that much wind. I'm not help- sorry. sad.gif

YUP! Ours all blew out... and very quickly! They were all in glass containers but I guess an inch above the wick wasn't tall enough!

yeah, mine blew out, I had some floating ones that were about one inch or so under the top of the vase.

If you have a higher candle holder or vase that goes like 3" above your wick you should be fine though.

Thanks, girls. You confirmed what my husband thought. We were getting ready to buy the votives when he said we'd better check with the forum girls to see if they had any issues with their candles not staying lit. wink.gif (Smart guy!)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Best Destination Wedding Sponsors

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
    • My wedding is coming soon, and I would like to know where I can find best wedding cards at affordable prices. I only find one store known as Lavenderpaperie.com where the cards are lovely and unique, But I want to know the other option name so that I can choose best wedding card. Please, if you have any suggestion on where to go, let me know. Thanks & Regards,
      Cadlen Leroy

• Hi Brides! I have a Wally Bag - 66" available - $90 + shipping (US only) The wally bag typically sells for $120-$180. I used this gown bag once to transport my dress from MN to Mexico for our wedding - IT WAS PERFECT!   I was actually able to pack 4 additional maxi dresses, and my husband's wedding attire, plus a few pairs of shoes and some jewelry. I packed the dress the night before we left, and just moments before we left, I zipped the bag and folded it - ready for travel. It comes up with a nice over-the-shoulder strap, making it really easy to carry through the airports. No issues on Delta with the bag as my carry-on - I chose to put in the overhead bin, but the flight attendant did offer to hang it in the closet for me. Once we got to the resort, about 10 hours after I first folded the bag, I unpacked the bag and my dress was perfect - no wrinkles! My dress was mostly lace and had a bit of a train, but it arrived perfectly!  Honestly, this is the best way to travel with your dress! 
    • we ended up using Facebook messenger when we were in Mexico - the hotel had free wifi and at least 1 person from each family/couple had FB on their phone already - it was pretty easy to communicate among guests "hey, we're heading to the beach bbq for lunch." or "everyone is hanging at the small pool today".  a plus was that some people tried to get a hold of me via FB on the day of the wedding and I was totally not checking my phone - they were asking if the wedding was outside given the rain forecast, thankful my mom, MOH and a few other friends were on the group and could respond for me :) 
    • Are you looking for a guide where you’ll find many tips and steps to follow to make your wedding a success? We design a special for you, where you will find: Photography Tips To-Do List Check list How to choose the best dress? Memories and invitations And much more! Download it now for free from: http://emweddings.com/WeddingGuide/index.html     Don’t stress. Enjoy every moment, tomorrow will be your best memories. See you soon!
    • Another option is to find an app that allows for group talk. This Wedding Party App looks pretty neat. https://apracticalwedding.com/wedding-party-app/ 
  • Topics