Sea lice eruption in Cancun/Playa area??

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 superez

• 106 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:08 PM

Hi! I was just on Tripadvisor and there have been some posts on the Playa del Carmen forum of travelers complaining of horrible sea lice bites. Has anyone, esp anyone who has been to the area and in the water recently, heard or experienced anything about this? It caught my attention b/c I'm going with my older parents who don't aren't beach people, but another family member is getting them so excited about going to the beach and now they can't wait. I would hate for them to get all bitten up and have a bad experience!

#2 superez

• 106 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:09 PM

Not to mention, I would hate to spend a day at the beach before the wedding and then have bites all over for the pictures!!!!

#3 AmyInMI

• 547 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

Seeing that we leave 2 weeks from tomorrow, I sure hope this isn't true!!
        Amy & Aaron
        May 10, 2008
        Dreams Tulum, Riviera Maya, Mexico

#4 beachbride08

• VIP Member
        • 2,372 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:48 PM

I just did a google search and found this...

SafeSea Sea Lice and Jellyfish Protection - A Must for Cancun Mexico!

#5 Luba&Mike2008

• 29 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the link!!! This freaked me out a little...

#6 lambert13

• 901 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:46 AM

It is that time of year. It's hard to say when and where they will be as they tend to drift with the currents. A beach can be affected one day and not the next.

Unless a person is extremely susceptible to stings, the likelihood of having 'bites' all over is extremely rare. If you are affected at all it is usually in areas that your bathing suit covers. Pleasant huh? The sea lice (jellyfish larvae) get trapped in the swimsuit fabric and sting when pressure is put on them or when you rinse off with your suit on.

I had the misfortune of getting hit by the sea lice one year. I was very unhappy for days. But, I was the only one in my group who had any effects. Some people are just not affected by them like others are. I am just unlucky that way.

#7 Opice34

• 414 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:56 AM

Holy cow! Why don't they just call them baby jellyfish instead of sea LICE?! That would sound much better!

I'm leaving tomorrow to go to a friend's wedding at the Casa Magna Marriott. I guess I'll run by the pharmacy and see if I can pick some sort of protection up. I'll let you guys know if we run into any this weekend!

#8 Cali

• 281 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

Great..... something else to worry about

#9 Dez921714

• 1,489 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

I just panicked and then red that they are only around this time of year...I'm glad I'm getting married in January!
                    http://ticker.7910.o....25vdCBpbiA.gif27 Confirmed with Plane Tickets...5 with rooms booked!

150 INVITES / 6 YES / 13 NO

#10 Princess402

• 737 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:43 PM

OMG I'm seriously freaked out about sea lice now!
                      I may have to rethink all my ideas in terms of wedding dates... I was thinking about the end of April but it sounds like that smack dab in the middle of sea lice season!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users