No passport required for cruise

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tobi

• 163 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:40 AM

I just talked to my cruise agent and there is not a requirement for cruise passengers to have a passport until June 2009.
    I know this was a major concern for alot of our guests becuase they did not have a passport...wanted to pass along the good news.

#2 JennyK

• 3,502 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

I would double check on that.. I dunno why but I would. Anytime you are stepping out of the country, you need one. Just to be on the safe side..

#3 MsSunshine

• 415 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:06 PM

Is this for real? No passports for caribbean cruises needed now to June 2009? wow that sounds great! I really hope that the TA is truly correct on this. Thanks for the tip

#4 becks

• VIP Member
        • 4,881 posts
        • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
        • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
        • LocationNew York

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:33 PM

Technically, this is correct. However...

(1) some individual cruise lines will require passports, regardless of the immigration policies;
        (2) if you miss your boat and need to take a plane to catch up to it at the next port you cannot do so without a passport;
        (3) If your cruise departs or arrives from outside the US and you are flying to get there or home, you must have a passport to do so.

Generally, if you have time to get a passport, get one.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#5 TA Dina

TA Dina
        • 181 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:10 AM

I agree with becks 110%. Especially for reasons 1 & 2.

Some cruise lines can still require them for boarding. And if they don't now but decide to change their policy a month before you're wedding, now guests are paying expedited processing fees IF they can get them at all.

And if I only had a dollar for every passenger I've heard of that missed the boat on departure day and had to catch up to the ship afterwards

It is good news, but still, best bet is to encourage they get them.

#6 Saraha

• 2,597 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:01 AM

Thats strange. We went on a cruise and departed from Miami and went to Honduras, cozumel, etc. and traveled with Carnival. And they REQUIRED one, No one could get on the ship unless they had one.

#7 Lilpaisley

• 402 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:19 AM

I've been on a few cruises over the years and we always needed one, this was requires by the cruise lines. My friend realized she forgot hers while we were still in Miami for a few days and she had to have her dad break into her house and Fedex her passport to her at our hotel...and this was over 5 years ago.
              Best bet...don't risk it...get passports
              Riu Montego Bay, Jamaica - Feb 28, 2009

#8 Tobi

• 163 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:16 AM

I double checked with Carnival to make sure they do not have a corporate policy for passports and they do not. Maybe you were required to have a passport because the cruise was to Honduras. The "Western Hemisphere" is under a diffent policy and those areas include:
                Areas that fall under the WHTI:
                The Caribbean region (includes 17 regions)
                We are going to Jamiaca and the Caymans so we are good to go.
                The travel agent did urge us to have them anyways and many of the travelers in our group do but for those who don't this was a great PLUS.

Here is a little exerpt from the travel.state.gov website about the policy:

AIR TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.
                LAND AND SEA TRAVEL
                The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 200, or WHTI-compliant document; or (B) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
                On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.
                Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

#9 Christine

• VIP Member
                • 21,514 posts
                • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
                • Wedding Location:Napa, California
                • LocationReno, NV

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:24 AM

I would encourage your guests to get one anyone, just to be on the safe side. Plus a lot of places are offering cool perks for being the first place to stamp your passport, my DH and I got a free couples massage at our resort during our honeymoon, it was great.
                Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users