Photo

Salad Dressing Questions??

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 twinkletoes

twinkletoes
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:36 PM

After you come up with a pricing structure, you may want to focus on promotional and marketing ideas. Like by 2, get 1 1/2 off, or whatever. Or will you have order forms or will it be available online, blah blah blah. I know, I'm jumping the gun a bit,lol. But I like to have all things laid out in front of me so I know all factors I have to play with. Also, maybe check with the FDA and see what requirements may be involved. just some things for you to ponder... Have you came up with a name for your brand yet?
    2 Hearts, 1 Love 08.08.08Punta Cana, D.R.

#12 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 10,366 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:54 PM

See above for Vinegar question... I am all about balsamic, it's really my fave

What do you look for in a salad dressing? taste is definitely #1, I don't like a really oily balsalmic, but one with a lot of flavor

How important is packaging? of course its somewhat important, it could be the reason I buy one over another

How much do you usually pay for a gourmet type salad dressing? it really depends, if it is yummy than I would definitely pay more

anything else you can think of? if you are making these and selling them, I would defintely give it a try, lol

#13 Chiquita

Chiquita
      • 2,674 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:57 PM

I'm pretty much exactly what MsShelley said word for word!! :)

#14 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
        • 11,659 posts
        • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

for basic dressing like on a spinach salad i love the basics balsamic with dijon mustard, honey and olive oil.

but for asian cucumber salad i love rice wine vinegar.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
        Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
        Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
        Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
        sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
        Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#15 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
        • 26,161 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:07 PM

1. See above for Vinegar question...balsamic or red wine
          2. What do you look for in a salad dressing? NOT sweet, unless it's fruit salad I like a saltier dressing. I wouldn't like to see sugar/honey/etc. in my dressing. Healthy is better but if it has to be less healthy to have some good cheese in it then I'll take it :P
          3. How important is packaging? Less is more IMO.
          4. How much do you usually pay for a gourmet type salad dressing? Honestly...I tend to individually dress my salads wth a few simple ingredients. What is store-bought dressing, like $3? Not sure if I know what makes a gourmet dressing...but if I noticed a regular sized bottle of dressing was more than $6 or so I probably wouldn't buy it unless I had tasted it before...or someone whose palate I trusted swore it was delicious.
          5. anything else you can think of? Good luck and have fun :)

#16 -Kate-

-Kate-
          • VIP Member
          • 7,676 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:35 PM

1. See above for Vinegar question...Balsamic or red wine
            2. What do you look for in a salad dressing? Light - yummy with lots of toppings (eg - blue cheese dressing doesn't go with all toppings so I don't use it as my go to.)
            3. How important is packaging? Sadly - very. I almost bought some random Kraft the other day because the packaging is new.
            4. How much do you usually pay for a gourmet type salad dressing? Hmmm...don't really know. $4?
            5. anything else you can think of? I would love it if you could package it in a mason jar and sell it with a little spoon attached. Totally unpractical but fun!

#17 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
            • 26,161 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:42 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by LALA
              5. anything else you can think of? I would love it if you could package it in a mason jar and sell it with a little spoon attached. Totally unpractical but fun!
              That would be fun, and probably get me to buy it because of the spoon...lol

#18 sunnydaes

sunnydaes
              • 684 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

I voted Balsamic Vinegar, Although I often add some apple cider vinegar as well into it.. but not really sure why i do that
                What do you look for in a salad dressing? I like it to be creamy, everyone may think this is gross but i like mixing veganaise (like mayo) into all my salads, and hummus.
                How important is packaging? Not really that important
                How much do you usually pay for a gourmet type salad dressing? last one I bought was RAW, it was about 10 dollars
                anything else you can think of? Organic, non dairy would be fantastic!!!

#19 1elephant

1elephant
                • VIP Member
                • 15,998 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:53 PM

See above for Vinegar question... i don't really like most vinegar-based dressings, but i'll answer the rest
                  What do you look for in a salad dressing? yummy, low fat, but not low taste.
                  How important is packaging? not really important at all
                  How much do you usually pay for a gourmet type salad dressing? $5ish? idk, i don't normally buy gourmet
                  anything else you can think of? alyssa, i don't know if you have wegmans near you, but i love their fat free parmesan italian. huge flavor, no fat, very low in calories. package looks like any store brand package.

good luck!!!

#20 Alyssa

Alyssa
                  • 11,793 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:24 PM

thanks girls - you are all great!

i am so surprised by how dominant balsamic vinegar is ... definitely food for thought. and yes, of course i will shipping little samples all over the country for my tasters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users