Photo

Anyone "Jumping the Broom"??

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#11 carmlv

carmlv
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

I love it too.. Sarah Sprouille made it. She does awesome work!!

#12 LadyP

LadyP
    • 3,156 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

Yes she does. I really love it. It is so subtle and beautiful

#13 sisterofthebrideerica

sisterofthebrideerica
      • 48 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:17 PM

My sister's FI is African-American and she will be jumping the broom to honor his family and their traditions. I did some reasearch to find out the "why" behind it. Most commonly it was done in the south when slaves wanted to signify getting married. They were not leagally allowed to get married so they would jump the broom as a couple to represent them getting away from their "owners" and jumping towards freedom and a new life together. I think it will be a great part of the ceremony.

On a side note, my family is Jewish and my sisters FI will be stomping on a glass to honor our traditions. It is basically done to ward off any evil spirits around the wedding and the marriage will last as long as it takes to put the glass together!!

#14 sisterofthebrideerica

sisterofthebrideerica
        • 48 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by BillysBride
          I guess this could primarily be for African American brides, though traditionally it doesn't have to be.

I'm wondering if anyone is considering or planning to include a traditional broom jumping in their ceremony? I'm thinking on it and have found a few web sites that have really gotten my imagination going. I figure its a brief sort of thing, but can add a little bit to our ceremony since its just a religious/vow renewal and going to be short. Plus, I really love the tradition behind it and what it signifies.

For those aren't familiar with the broom jumping tradition, its said to have been brought over from West Africa and practiced largely by African Americans before marriage was legally recognized for us here. It symbolizes sweeping out the old/past and ushering in your new lives together. Brooms are decorated beautifully and at the end of the ceremony after you are pronounced husband and wife, the couple steps or "jumps" over the broom before proceeding back down the aisle together.

I even found a site with the idea of having smaller brooms beautifully decorated as bouquets and now I'm thinking of doing this as a DIY project (I need something to focus on, I'm going nuts here) for my bridesmaids to carry. Not everyone's taste, I'm sure, but I think it could be really different and pretty. Check these out:
          African-Weddings, Heritage Wedding Brooms, Accessories & Gifts - Cala Lily Broom Bouquets

I'd also do our broom for the jump myself. I haven't seen anything that can't be put together as a DIY project, so I can't see spending the money when its not really necessary unless I just cannot get it together. Besides, my mama is the black Martha Stewart and if I get in trouble, I know she can handle it.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else is doing it, has done it or considering it.

Thank you so much for this website!! I just read what the ceremony really represents and it was so meaningful. I sent it to my sister and her FI, I'm going to have a broom made to give to his parents.

#15 Jamaica08bride

Jamaica08bride
          • 66 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

I am jumping the broom as well. I think I may have our mothers read the verse stating the symbolism of it. My future mother-in-law is in charge of bringing the broom so I hope it will be nice. Maybe I'll send her that link to give her some ideas.

#16 LadyP

LadyP
            • 3,156 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:36 PM

here are some more brooms for your ideas Jumping the Broom & Handfasting Brooms

#17 IrieBride08

IrieBride08
              • 716 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:49 PM

I plan to jump the broom as well. I'm just trying to figure out how to get it down to Jamaica along with all my other stuff!

#18 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 12,193 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:22 PM

You know, had I been getting married here at home, I'd probably be jumping the broom. But the thought of doing it in Jamaica never crossed my mind!!! Thanks for bringing this up!

#19 DLyteful

DLyteful
                  • 879 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:31 PM

You know, I didnt think about it either since we were going to Jamaica.... i'm going to ask my honey tomorrow what he thinks. My honey is the "lets get it done" kinda guy, so he might not go for it.

#20 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
                    • 26,161 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:45 AM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by nikkianddean
                      My FI thinks everything is silly. Everyday I hear about how the wedding industry is a huge scam and I am just another victim. Well I LOVE it!
                      Sorry but I had to laugh at that because DH used to go on about the bogus wedding industry too...haha Tell FI to hang in there!

Eventhough my husband's family is all from the South, this is not something that they do so we didn't either.

You DIY-ers can really get creative in making your brooms, fun project!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users