Photo

My grandmother's passport has been rejected

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 marip123

marip123
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:38 AM

My mother called me yesterday and told me my grandma got a letter in the mail saying they rejected her passport application. There is no record of birth, but it seems the passport people did find a record of her birth, and it's a year later than what is on her id, and what she has lived with. All they could find was a baptismal certificate and voter registration. She's 87 years old, and doing so well. It's so sad and frustrating. My grandma is bummed to say the least. They're asking for records that don't exist, but I hope my mom can do all the investigation to be able to get her passport sorted. My grandma was born in 1920 in the country of New Mexico, and needless to say, there were no hospitals or records of birth. The very sad thing is everyone from that side of the family has already booked for our wedding. I just need to be positive that things will get worked out. My mom will be calling the passport office tomorrow.
    Steph and Ben - 6/8/08! We did it!

#2 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 5,752 posts
    • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:41 AM

steph you should PM morgan, she went through something very similar where her gram didnt have a birth certificate, and she did a whole bunch of stuff and got it sorted out with plenty of time to spare!

#3 NYJen

NYJen
    • 1,326 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:41 AM

There has to be a way to work this out. I hope your mom gets the information they need. Maybe you can speak with a lawyer who can sort it out.

#4 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:47 AM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by mauraw
        steph you should PM morgan, she went through something very similar where her gram didnt have a birth certificate, and she did a whole bunch of stuff and got it sorted out with plenty of time to spare!
        http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t14073

I was looking for my post as you said this

My grandma ended up using school records. You can also purchase census records. There are companies online that look them up for you, but it's about $65.

I was so worried about her not getting a passport because we had trouble getting her birth certificate. She ended up getting it in less than 2 weeks!!!

We can help you figure out what you need to do to get her passport. Read through my post. many people gave me great suggestions.

#5 Yari

Yari
        • VIP Member
        • 10,928 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:48 AM

Oh no, I hope your mom is able to sort everything out.

#6 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 18,759 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:51 AM

Did you submit her passport with a birth certificate? It would be a "deleyed birth certificate." If you don't already have one of those, that is the first step. It took me about 16 days to get one of those for my gma. I was able to do all the steps online.

Luckily she already had the school records. She had contacted her school for them to get her social security. If your gma claims social security she likely had to get some similar record of age.

We submited the passport application with her deleyed BC & school records & 2 weeks later grandma was ready to go to Mexico.

#7 michelle08

michelle08
            • VIP Member
            • 2,702 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:54 AM

This totally sucks...but at least there is experience on the board!!!!

#8 Janet

Janet
              • VIP Member
              • 7,459 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:12 AM

I would recommending calling your Senator or Congressman and seeing if they can help!

#9 Kat81

Kat81
                • VIP Member
                • 7,615 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:23 AM

OMG... I hope everything works out. I didn't even think about this with my Grandma.. I better check into it!

#10 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
                  • VIP Member
                  • 4,791 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:33 AM

That is so sad. Poor Grandma I really hope it all gets worked out!!!

~ Jaime & Martin ~
                    "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users