Photo

Where do you clean your cups??

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 LeXiee

LeXiee
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

Just wondering... a lot of people are bringing their own cups for drinks (and some are giving them to their guests).... Where do you clean the cups once at the resort? Aren't we not suppose to use their tap water?? Not even to brush our teeth.... so how/where do you go to clean the cups?

#2 JulieG

JulieG
    • VIP Member
    • 8,323 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:03 PM

Some bars will clean them for you, I would just ask and they do it. I also bring some dish soap with me in a little travel container and use bottled water to wash it in my room. So, either of those would work for you.

#3 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
      • 26,161 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:09 PM

You read my mind, I was thinking the same thing about where I would have cleaned them if I had them! I think Dreams PV had filtered tap water, but in Jamaica at ROR there are signs next to the sinks saying the water is not potable...I'm sure in DR it's the same. Asking the bartender is a good idea, just remember to tip :)

#4 dragonfly

dragonfly
        • 1,820 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

We brushed our teeth and washed our cups with the tap water, it was no big deal to us and I have a weak stomach. The kids even brushed their teeth and were fine. Just don't drink the water, I am sure it would be fine to wash your cups with, that's jmho

#5 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
          • 26,161 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:06 PM

I have friends from Haiti and they don't even brush their teeth with tap water when they go home. Haiti is not DR but it's the same small island, not sure how their filtration systems differ.

Also, when we landed in Jamaica anyone who had been to DR in the preceding 6 months (and some other countries) were detained at the airport by immigration officials because of health concerns. Not to scare you, but IMO I would give yourself the best shot at staying healthy because it is a small burden compared to the alternative.

#6 foxytv

foxytv
            • VIP Member
            • 7,740 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:02 PM

I would definitely NOT use tap water for anything. It's an AI, so bottled water is not an issue. We are going to be asking for extra bottled water every day, to ensure we have enough for everything and anything we would need it for. Bringing a small thing of dish soap, as Julie did, is a great idea.

#7 LeXiee

LeXiee
              • 286 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:16 AM

My brother-in-law told me that when he goes downsouth he always brings a case a bottles of water with him (splits the case in his suitcase and my sister's)..... he says they only put two bottles of water in the fridge everyday?!?

#8 RaydensMama

RaydensMama
                • VIP Member
                • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:15 AM

I would just use the tap water in your room. Im sure they dont use fancy water to clean the hotel dishes. Plus any good hotel is going to have a filtration system.

#9 amandalovesryan

amandalovesryan
                  • 933 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:34 AM

funny that you asked this, my mom and i were just wondering this today!
                    My favorite type of vacation, a relaxing one!

http://tickers.Ticke....d7b2/event.png

#10 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
                    • 26,161 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:11 AM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by RaydensMama
                      I would just use the tap water in your room. Im sure they dont use fancy water to clean the hotel dishes. Plus any good hotel is going to have a filtration system.
                      I would think the same thing too, but I've seen it first-hand. Not sure if it's too costly to filter water in the guest rooms but the Riu didn't do it, and that's a major international chain. I'm not sure how they clean the dishes, maybe at a higher temperature that kills germs? Interesting topic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users