Photo

Your Saving $$/Budget tips

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#11 TammyB

TammyB
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:17 AM

We cut WAY back on Christmas this year. Plus poor Cain and been working his butt off. My job employees me for 40 hours, but I'm lucky if I have 10 hours of work to do, so no OT for me..

#12 *JillD*

*JillD*
    • 5,112 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:31 AM

I started brewing my own coffee in the mornings, which also keeps me from buying a bagel every day too, coffee at home is just not the same as dunkins, but oh well.

We are limiting xmas presents this year as well

I used to go out to lunch every day, but now only once a week if I'm lucky, usually just bring a can of soup

we almost never do anything, stay home on the weekends, don't go out to eat much

I wish I had something at work I could pick up for more money, but I have to sell more to make more, which doesn't always work out how you want it to

I almost never go shopping, unless we really need something

I'm going to try those coupon sites because we spend a lot on groceries (there are 4 of us living here)

#13 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
      • 11,659 posts
      • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:44 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Ryjaxs19
      5. I told my sister she needs to start paying for her own school lunches. I had been giving her $2 a day, but she is 17 now and has a job. Is this horible of me. I feel kinda bad but thats an extra 40.00 a month right there.

Not that I have such a cool job as yourself but I am going to aim to pick up at least 1 extra shift per week that all money earned will go directly into my wedding savings! After school is over.

i think you sister is old enough to buy her own lunch :)...at 17 i was paying for everything myself...i moved out of my house when iw as 15.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
      Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
      Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
      Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
      sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
      Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#14 Joy

Joy
      • 8 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:58 PM

We started a savings plan the minute we got engaged. And i'm very strict with it!!
        *We put away a week amount into an account that does not allow debit card releases!!! very important because we love debit cards!!
        *I receive 4 bonus a year that strictly go into this account.
        *Joe works at least 2 Sats a month for overtime.
        *We only eat out 1 or 2 times a week which is a HUGE cut down for us. We used to eat out daily because we both work so much and didn't have time to cook. Crock Pots work great!!!
        *i bring my lunch daily to work and if i'm lucky i have time to eat it.
        *i don't do much shopping anymore unless it's for the wedding.
        *we cut down our Xmas expenses for everyone and decided we would buy a shared gift for each other. i think we are looking at an LCD tv.

#15 destinationbride07

destinationbride07
        • 631 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:50 PM

Just Like Tammny I cut out starbucks, seattle best, and all the other coffee shops. I will have cup every one and then but not everyday...

no more shoe shopping...I am a shoeholic and it is hurting...i have not bought a new pair of shoes in almost a yr

since we have been engaged since 04, we started putting some money aside so that is helping...

#16 EDYTA

EDYTA
          • 1,277 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:20 PM

Like many off you i cut out the coffee but one thing that I cant seem to cut out is the trashy magazines and the wedding magazines...I usually spend around $15 a week on them so that's the next thing that needs to go

#17 kookaloons

kookaloons
            • 18 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:28 PM

I've been doing market research/focus groups for the past year and contribute that to the wedding fund. I've made over $1000 doing it.

Check craigslist in your city and look under ETC!
              Mary & Corey March 23, 2007 Puerto Vallarta www.coreyandmary.com
              http://tickers.Ticke....f11e/event.png

Knot Bio

#18 A10CalGal

A10CalGal
              • VIP Member
              • 11,403 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:06 PM

Well, like Sarah, I'm already pretty frugal in my day-to-day activities. I brew my own coffee, make my own brkfst & lunch & we only go out to dinner once per week. I will admit, my biggest problem is shopping. I needed a lot of new office clothes there for a while, and a new pair of boots, oh & then there was that gorgeous D&B bag I just needed :) I have to cut that out.

The one thing that I do religiously though is put $500 every other week into my ING savings account. I have it auto-transferred from my checking every other Friday. So, I've been saving $1K a month which is great! I don't use that $$ to pay for anything other than wedding expenses. I depleted it after putting down the $4K hotel deposit & buying my dress a few months ago, but I'm already back up to $5K. This has worked really well for me.

I highly reccomend ING for savings. They have the best rate out there, and it goes up every few months. I think it's at 4.3% right now - so I get at least $20 in interest each month.

#19 JENGONDA9

JENGONDA9
                • 163 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:56 PM

I wish I could add some good budget saving tips, but I have a horrible problem with instant gratification! Fortunately our parents are paying for a big chunk of our wedding, and I am just trying to pay-as-I-go for everything else. Leftover costs are going on a 12 month no interest credit card which we will pay off by next x-mas. We only have an 8 month engagement so there isn't much time to save!
                  Jen & Aaron
                  January 13, 2007

#20 Sarah

Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 6,996 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:24 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by A10CALGAL
                    The one thing that I do religiously though is put $500 every other week into my ING savings account. I have it auto-transferred from my checking every other Friday. So, I've been saving $1K a month which is great! I don't use that $$ to pay for anything other than wedding expenses. I depleted it after putting down the $4K hotel deposit & buying my dress a few months ago, but I'm already back up to $5K. This has worked really well for me.

I highly reccomend ING for savings. They have the best rate out there, and it goes up every few months. I think it's at 4.3% right now - so I get at least $20 in interest each month.
                    Christa- that is awesome! I wish I was that disciplined. I guess I should start now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users