8 replies to this topic

#1 Kayla88

• 163 posts
  • Wedding Date:July 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Ocean Coral
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:27 PM

Hey everyone,
I need some advice/ opinions. My FI and I have decided that we wanted a best wishes only wedding, no gifts since we believe that our guest are spending a lot to join us on our DW and we don't Need anything. However I am still have a bunch of people asking me where we are registered, since they are not able to attend the wedding. Should I make a registry for the individuals who want to buy? If so how would I inform family and friends without making them feel like gifts are now necessary? T iA

#2 kmk2016

• Moderators
  • 1,468 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 29, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Azul Sensatori- Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary Canada

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:52 AM

There are a few threads on this topic, and like you- most are graciously declining gifts. Most who feel this way don't register, even if asked to do so- and some do so but are very discreet about sharing the registry information. I think it's a personal choice really. Etiquette dictates you should never have registry information on any form of your invitation, so it's still handled discreetly in traditional at home weddings. I have opted to not do any form of registry despite getting the question. Those who wanted to purchase a gift weren't angry that I politely declined stating that their presence was truly the only gift we wanted... They were surprised- but weren't pushy about it. If we get a couple gifts... We can't control that... But they won't be selected off a registry!

#3 Moments That Matter

Moments That Matter

Diamond Vendor

• Insiders
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

Some of our wedding couples have opted to offer their guests the option to contribute to their wedding photographer's fee - which is a wonderful way for everyone to score a win/win scenario :)

A photo of the wedding couple with their guest also makes an excellent "guest-gift", another win/win !

Wishing everyone happy research, and all the best with their plans - cheers!!! team MTM :)

Moments That Matter Photography , Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Canadian Award Winning Photojournalist serving the Riviera Maya

Email: contact@momentsthatmatterphotography.com

Why we're Ranked #1 ~ Scoop on what we do:  MTM Reviews

Meet Lincoln & Team MTM: "Meet Lincoln" Video + see his Passion!!!

We Offer: 100% Vendor Fee Discount
                        100% Deposit Guarantee

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

#4 beckys98

• 543 posts
    • Wedding Date:June 11, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Montego Bay

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:03 PM

I wouldn't register just because people asked - it is kind of them to want to give a gift, but they can always give something thoughtful/personalized or money/gift card if they feel they must. I feel like our other guests wouldn't take the "no gifts" seriously if they knew we registered. No one wants to be the jerk that doesn't bring a gift when everyone else does and I'm afraid people would buy out of fear of being "that guy."

We REALLY, REALLY don't want our guests buying gifts so we're being stubborn about it :) No shower, no registry.

#5 calgarybride2015

• 4,504 posts
    • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
    • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

We didn't do a registry either.

I didn't make mention of anything on any of our invites, brochures, website, etc.

When people ask I politely tell them that their presence is gift enough for us.

As it seems most people are ok with that, but close family has been asking a bit more -- my aunt asked me the other day if she could combine one of our wedding gifts with our Christmas gift so she didn't have to lug it to Mexico  OMG! I told her she didn't need to get us anything, but if she insisted we had no issue with receiving it at Christmas.

I'm personally not comfortable doing a registry, but as someone said above, they can either come up with a nice personalized gift or a card/money. 

Good luck!

Edited by calgarybride2015, 31 October 2014 - 01:18 PM.

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#6 Kayla88

• 163 posts
    • LocationAlberta

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:29 PM

Thanks so much :) I love this forum cause the minute I start doubting myself you amazing people understand and give the best advice.

#7 GingerBride

• 41 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 18, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
    • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:08 AM

We specifically said your presence is present enough no gifts.  With that said, we still have a registry as there are still some people who will want to buy you a gift, the ones who can't make it or even for showers, engagement parties etc.

It doesn't hurt to have one and no you will not look greedy :)

#8 veryvalentine

• 678 posts
    • Wedding Date:June 20, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Grand Sunset Princess - Mayan Riviera
    • LocationToronto

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:56 PM

We are in the same boat.  We had a nice engagement party about a 11 months from our wedding date and celebrated the engagement and announced that we are having a destination wedding.  We registered for that party and it was a nice way to include a lot of people that won't be able to attend.  We surprised everyone with mariachis so it totally got everyone in the mood for the party.

We aren't going to go as far as say no gifts, but we are not going to be sending out any registry info or anything like that...their attendance is a gift

Married on June 20th, 2015 at the Grand Sunset Princess Riviera Gazebo & Reception at the Chill Out with 60 guests

My planning thread:  http://www.bestdesti...unset-princess/

My review thread:  http://www.bestdesti...incess-wedding/

#9 Kayla88

• 163 posts
    • LocationAlberta

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users