7 Months To Plan - Are We Mad?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NotSoWitty

• 40 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

We've been engaged for four years but haven't gotten round to setting a date (or coming anywhere near being able to afford a big Irish wedding) and the weekend before last the Mr suggests going on holiday... then he suggests Mexico... then he says 'sure why don't we get married while we are there?'

It solves a lot of problems (seriously, every time we look at having a small wedding the numbers and costs just spiral) but it would just be the two of us and we want to keep it secret until we are there, which causes some of it's own - not least that the sooner we go the easier it will be not to blab, but the earliest we can afford to go is probably the start of next year!

We want to get married in Mexico, on the Caribbean coast, at the end of January/start of February. Are we crazy? The only real things we think we'll need is venue, celebrant, flowers, makeup/hair and photographer. We're going to get married at home in the UK a day or so before we fly so it's a symbolic ceremony rather than a civil one. 

#2 kmk2016

• Moderators
    • 1,468 posts
    • Wedding Date:February 29, 2016
    • Wedding Location:Azul Sensatori- Riviera Maya
    • LocationCalgary Canada

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

Totally doable... and you found BDW... you are already ahead of the game! This website will be your best resource!!!

Congrats on setting a date!

#3 malyna

• 346 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 14, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Excellence Playa Mujeres

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

If it's just the two of you I think 7 months is plenty of time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 NotSoWitty

• 40 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

Thanks guys. :) It doesn't really seem real yet, but once we book the trip and the photographer (and start spending the money!) I know it will sink in. I can't believe that I'll have my new surname in just a few months! 

#5 stefadile

• 192 posts
      • Wedding Date:December 30, 2014
      • Wedding Location:Negril , Jamaica
      • LocationIreland

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

If it's just you guys, you can totally do it!!!! Lots of hotels in the Caribbean offer wedding packages ( including photos, make up, etc...)for a minimal cost if you stay 5-7 nights. I'm pretty sure travel agents like Thompson offer packages too! Good luck :-) :-)

Edited by stefadile, 16 June 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#6 iWeddingMexico

• Insiders
      • 36 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

If you need help let me know. I actually have a special "elope" package for couples that just want to get married by themselves. If you want more details I will be happy to help. :)

iWedding Mexico takes the stress out of wedding planning! Always available and ready to help you achieve your dream wedding in paradise!

iWedding Mexico, Playa del Carmen

#7 acw271011

• Moderators
        • 3,123 posts
        • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
        • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
        • LocationToronto Area

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

7 months is plenty of time!! We did it in 9. We ended up being just the 2 of us too andit all turned out just fine. In some ways that makes it so much easier when you don't have a bunch of other people to consider. You can almost do as you like!

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

#8 Moments That Matter

Moments That Matter

Diamond Vendor

• Insiders
        • 3,072 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

Congrats on your engagement, NotSoWitty, and upcoming dw!!! we've done numerous "bride & groom only" weddings and are impressed with the freedom and intimacy the couples demonstrate!

Here's an example of some of those unique "moments that matter" with just the two of you.... very special  :wub: 

Wishing you happy research and planning.....cheers! team MTM :)

Moments That Matter Photography , Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Canadian Award Winning Photojournalist serving the Riviera Maya

Email: contact@momentsthatmatterphotography.com

Why we're Ranked #1 ~ Scoop on what we do:  MTM Reviews

Meet Lincoln & Team MTM: "Meet Lincoln" Video + see his Passion!!!

We Offer: 100% Vendor Fee Discount
                              100% Deposit Guarantee

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

#9 DawnBP

• 29 posts
          • Wedding Date:October 1, 2014
          • Wedding Location:Royalton Punta Cana - Dominican Republic
          • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:19 AM

7 months is totally doable for just the two of you :)
           How totally awesome and exciting for you both, the countdown is on! Good luck and enjoy all the planning, this place is awesome by the way, everyone is so helpful!
          We have 10 in total, us and 8 immediate family and we booked it February with only 8 months to go.  Picked the resort, booked the wedding and paid deposit, then we all booked flights and accommodation.
          Now we only have 3 months to go and I have done ALL the organisation with my wedding planner in 3 days last week ;) bearing in mind I'm in the UK and my wedding planner is in Canada. So yeah it took 3 days to finalise all the plans for the wedding day and that's for 10 people.
          So you have PLENTY of time :)

#10 Mrsktobe

• Site Supporter
          • 371 posts
          • Wedding Date:November 11, 2014
          • Wedding Location:Grand Bahia Principe Akumal/Blue Venado Beach Club
          • LocationOkotoks, AB

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:20 AM

We're doing it in 7, and that's with 50+ coming, so it's definitely doable for you! :) Good luck and happy planning!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users