Jamaican wedding traditions

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 bride6262

bride6262
  • 582 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:39 AM

hello,

i am talking about rum cakes but not the traditional jamaican ones. if you look you can find flavoured ones and they are super yummy (i dont like the fruit one)!

Originally Posted by atalanta 

A chocolate rum cake? Is this different than the traditional black Jamaican cake. Are we talking about the same thing? The traditional Jamaican cakes are fruit cakes (not like the ones that are usually spurned in the US) not chocolate. It's all of that fruit and butter that gives it is almost potato pudding-type consistency and the burnt sugar that gives it its dark color not chocolate.

#32 atalanta

atalanta
    • 326 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:22 AM

Got it. Thanks for explaining. Now, I'll have some other cakes to try.

#33 bride6262

bride6262
      • 582 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

NO problem!!! trying them is the best part! lol

Got it. Thanks for explaining. Now, I'll have some other cakes to try.

#34 nmw134

nmw134
        • 98 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:59 AM

I think this is such a neat idea. Any other Jamaican wedding traditions?

#35 bride6262

bride6262
          • 582 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:14 AM

steel drum music

#36 Bruuning17

Bruuning17
            • 173 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:28 AM

I like the steel drum music tradition, I think since we are going all the way to Jamaica it would be silly to NOT include some type of Jamaican tradition in the ceremony or reception :)

#37 atalanta

atalanta
              • 326 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:51 PM

There are other traditions, but I am not sure which are familial or Jamaican. For example, in my family, instead of engagement rings the men build homes for their new wives.

I didn't get an engagement ring because I don't like diamonds and do not wear rings (yet). I'm not getting a new house but a major renovation to my fiance's home which will result in a new, full story master bed/bath/office/retreat. He didn't initiate the renovation for traditional reasons, but i kind of like that it fell in line with our tradition. I love that!

#38 Bruuning17

Bruuning17
                • 173 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

Wow, building homes is a pretty nice gift!! I will definitely not be getting that!  But I do love my engagement ring so its all good :) 

There are other traditions, but I am not sure which are familial or Jamaican. For example, in my family, instead of engagement rings the men build homes for their new wives.

I didn't get an engagement ring because I don't like diamonds and do not wear rings (yet). I'm not getting a new house but a major renovation to my fiance's home which will result in a new, full story master bed/bath/office/retreat. He didn't initiate the renovation for traditional reasons, but i kind of like that it fell in line with our tradition. I love that!

#39 meBonidie2be

meBonidie2be
                  • 402 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:55 PM

I think I just changed my mind about our live music choice ; )

#40 beachgal2012

beachgal2012
                    • 162 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:57 AM

i agree with everything you said!  i don't think there is anything that stands out in my mind that i need to do for my wedding on that list.  i'm going to do some searches myself and see if there is anything to incorporate into my wedding day that i like.  i will let you all know if i find anything worthwhile to share with you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users