Photo

For my past and planning African American brides who plan to wear or wore their own hair.

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#91 Nissi324

Nissi324
  • 23 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 1, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Soufriere, Saint Lucia
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

So I must admit I do not like the changes to the site. I never know when or if someone has commented to a post I've made. So needless to say I didn't know anyone responded to my January post. Niss1324, you are beautiful and I love your hair. Did you decide on what you were going to do? I went with a sew in. Not because I wanted to but b/c I felt like I had to. In October I severely damaged my hair and it is still trying to recover. So in order to get the look I'm going for I had to add hair. Although I did not want to go the sew in route I must admit I love it and I have been getting compliments daily. I'll upload some pics later this evening. I'm down to the final 2 weeks before our big day and I'm soooooo excited.

Hey TuffLuv...neither of those pictures are me. They're just some photos I found online while looking for ways to style my hair for my wedding. Don't feel bad... I've damaged my locs too. I actually had to get them cut in the back into a very high bob. It reminds me of Maxine Shaw from Living Single... I'm not so sure I like it yet but I keep getting compliments...all I can say is "Oh well, it's hair and Lawd willin' an the creek don't rise..it'll grow back!"

2 weeks out! Yaaaay! I can't wait to see pictures! Congrats, and remember relax. no matter what happens it will all be okay!

#92 ChristienEarnest

ChristienEarnest
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

I want to have a Old Hollywood styled wedding, therefore I have been looking at hair styles in that era. And I like the big deep waves and the pin curls plus the red lips.

#93 TuffLuv

TuffLuv
    • 211 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

Hey TuffLuv...neither of those pictures are me. They're just some photos I found online while looking for ways to style my hair for my wedding. Don't feel bad... I've damaged my locs too. I actually had to get them cut in the back into a very high bob. It reminds me of Maxine Shaw from Living Single... I'm not so sure I like it yet but I keep getting compliments...all I can say is "Oh well, it's hair and Lawd willin' an the creek don't rise..it'll grow back!"

2 weeks out! Yaaaay! I can't wait to see pictures! Congrats, and remember relax. no matter what happens it will all be okay!

I soooo feel your pain. Hopefully your hair will have grown out to the lenght you want by your wedding. If not, you can always add some ;) .

I want to have a Old Hollywood styled wedding, therefore I have been looking at hair styles in that era. And I like the big deep waves and the pin curls plus the red lips.

That sounds very pretty. I love matte red lipsticks. Mac has a good one, Ruby Woo.

Tuff Luv

Reese & Kandie

Hard Rock

Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

April 12, 2014

#94 ChristienEarnest

ChristienEarnest
      • 183 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

Oooh, I like that one also. Thanks for the tip.

#95 Tanya81

Tanya81
        • 174 posts
        • Wedding Date:December 13, 2014
        • Wedding Location:Gran Caribe Real, Cancun MX

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

Great thread... I'm also planning on wearing curls to the side with a bird cage :-)

#96 cubanaboliviana

cubanaboliviana
        • 26 posts
        • Wedding Date:July 26, 2014
        • Wedding Location:San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

I am not African American, but I plan on wearing my natural curls. The humidity is going to destroy my hair if I even try putting a flat iron on it. It makes me sad because I love my hair flat ironed with curls, but I have seen brides at the beach looking a hot mess because their hair met the elements. It’s too bad there are not more pictures online of hairstyles for NATURALLY curly hair. There are some of my favorites I found online:

natural hair curly
        natural hair curly
        natural hair curly
        natural hair curly
        natural hair curly
        natural hair curly

#97 TuffLuv

TuffLuv
        • 211 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

Okay ladies, I was married in the DR on April 12th and can I tell you the heat/humidity killed my hair/weave. I wore ponytails our entire trip. I did do big curls pulled to the side the day of the wedding. However, by time we made it to our celebratory dinner they were damn near gone. I wouldn't necessarily recommend an updo either b/c it is so windy. I hope this helps.

Tuff Luv

Reese & Kandie

Hard Rock

April 12, 2014

#98 FutureMrsGlover

FutureMrsGlover
          • 284 posts
          • Wedding Date:October 10, 2015
          • Wedding Location:Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort and Spa Runaway Bay Jamaica
          • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

Hi ladies....this was very helpful!  Loved reading all your advice and experiences.

#99 kay2015

kay2015
          • 222 posts
          • Wedding Date:May 8, 2015
          • Wedding Location:Riu Ocho Rios, Jamaica
          • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:15 AM

Okay ladies, I was married in the DR on April 12th and can I tell you the heat/humidity killed my hair/weave. I wore ponytails our entire trip. I did do big curls pulled to the side the day of the wedding. However, by time we made it to our celebratory dinner they were damn near gone. I wouldn't necessarily recommend an updo either b/c it is so windy. I hope this helps.

First off Congrats....hope you had an amazing time. Can you post or send me a pic of the style you went with so I can get an idea lol? did you end up going with a weave? I was thinking that with a weave it would be ok? how bad was it?

#100 TuffLuv

TuffLuv
          • 211 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

First off Congrats....hope you had an amazing time. Can you post or send me a pic of the style you went with so I can get an idea lol? did you end up going with a weave? I was thinking that with a weave it would be ok? how bad was it?

I will try and post a few pics tonight when I get off. Honestly, hindsight is 20/20 so I wish I would have wore my own hair. I have naturally curly hair and being able to just wet and go would have been nice. Instead I was very worried about maintaing my weave and not wanting it to get wet or messy. I am glad I had it for the ceremony though. Hope this helps.

Tuff Luv

Reese & Kandie

Hard Rock

April 12, 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users