Photo

Hiring a Wedding Coordinator

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BridetobeABCD

BridetobeABCD
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

Thoughts about hiring the resort wedding coordinator or an outside Wedding Coordinator. I did find a site - Destination Wedding (?) which you can hire a wedding coordinator and they will plan the wedding at any resort. Anyone ever use this? Thoughts are much appreciated.

#2 Arch713

Arch713
    • 161 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

From everyone that I have heard or had a destination wedding themselves, an on site wedding coordinator is a must!

#3 LCB803

LCB803
      • 89 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

I actually don't like the idea of using the resort's wedding coordinator. Sure, it's a free service, but in my experience, they just aren't very invested in helping YOU with YOUR wedding... They work for the resort, not you!

You can hire an outside WC that won't necessarily cost you anything out of pocket since many of them work off of commission. One company I know of that works off of commission is Euforia Events. My WC is an independent small business owner-- Joss Morales of Cancun Unique Weddings (she works all over the Riviera Maya) and I can't say enough good things about her! She charges $800 for her services, but so far we are so happy with her that $800 seems a pittance to pay for such a valuable resource! It is more than worth it. She works for US, and has her own endless list of preferred vendors and contacts, so I am not forced into anything, there is no pressure to use only the resort's vendors, I feel like I have more control and choice with her on the ground as my eyes and ears, and I can ask her a million questions and she does her best to make sure I am happy. Being a bit of a control freak who is planning a wedding thousands of miles away, this is invaluable :)

Whatever you choose, just make sure you are comfortable with the person and that you feel like you can trust them implicitly. It took some time for me to let go, but I have since learned just how much I can trust Joss (implicitly!) and I am now much less stressed :) Good luck!

#4 nbateman

nbateman
        • 280 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by BridetobeABCD 

Thoughts about hiring the resort wedding coordinator or an outside Wedding Coordinator. I did find a site - Destination Wedding (?) which you can hire a wedding coordinator and they will plan the wedding at any resort. Anyone ever use this? Thoughts are much appreciated.

Love Love Love DestinationWeddings.com, we have Sally who is based out of Jersey (we're in MD) and we talk ALL of the time!! She's fantastic and some of my guests have been calling her to ask questions or change certain things and she's super helpful.  It's a $50 signup fee but once you book, it goes straight toward your reservation.  We checked out a Karisma resort webinar through them and because we ended up booking one of the Karisma properties (El Dorado Royale), they gave us a free upgrade (worth $1000!)  Seems too good to be true, but it isn't and if you have questions, feel free to ask!

#5 nbateman

nbateman
          • 280 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by nbateman 

Love Love Love DestinationWeddings.com, we have Sally who is based out of Jersey (we're in MD) and we talk ALL of the time!! She's fantastic and some of my guests have been calling her to ask questions or change certain things and she's super helpful.  It's a $50 signup fee but once you book, it goes straight toward your reservation.  We checked out a Karisma resort webinar through them and because we ended up booking one of the Karisma properties (El Dorado Royale), they gave us a free upgrade (worth $1000!)  Seems too good to be true, but it isn't and if you have questions, feel free to ask!

I should also note that we'll be also working with a Lomas coordinator on site when we get to the resort.  I've already sent them a couple of my choices for events, dinner, etc. so we'll actually have two coordinators (one at home and one one site) for free!

#6 Salinadebra

Salinadebra
            • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

I'm about to hire Joss but I'm worried because I haven't met her and know nothing about her. Can I trust her. I found her on a website. 

#7 Mimi127

Mimi127
              • 221 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

I am using a wedding coordinator who is absolutely amazing.  She truly has your best interest at heart and will go the extra mile to make sure you get what you want. You should check out her website it is http://destinationwe....wordpress.com/

#8 dreamweddings

dreamweddings

Insiders

• Insiders w/ Articles
                • 603 posts
                  • LocationPlaya Del Carmen

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by LCB803 

I actually don't like the idea of using the resort's wedding coordinator. Sure, it's a free service, but in my experience, they just aren't very invested in helping YOU with YOUR wedding... They work for the resort, not you!

You can hire an outside WC that won't necessarily cost you anything out of pocket since many of them work off of commission. One company I know of that works off of commission is Euforia Events. My WC is an independent small business owner-- Joss Morales of Cancun Unique Weddings (she works all over the Riviera Maya) and I can't say enough good things about her! She charges $800 for her services, but so far we are so happy with her that $800 seems a pittance to pay for such a valuable resource! It is more than worth it. She works for US, and has her own endless list of preferred vendors and contacts, so I am not forced into anything, there is no pressure to use only the resort's vendors, I feel like I have more control and choice with her on the ground as my eyes and ears, and I can ask her a million questions and she does her best to make sure I am happy. Being a bit of a control freak who is planning a wedding thousands of miles away, this is invaluable :)

Whatever you choose, just make sure you are comfortable with the person and that you feel like you can trust them implicitly. It took some time for me to let go, but I have since learned just how much I can trust Joss (implicitly!) and I am now much less stressed :) Good luck!

LCB803!

As a wedding planner in the Riviera Maya, I agree with you 100% its very important for you as a bride to trust and be comfortable with the person you choose to help you plan your wedding. As long as there is mutual understanding and communication then it will be easier to plan a stress free wedding!!

Happy planning!

Joyce

Dream Weddings Riviera Maya- We pay attention to your wishes and coordinate closely with you to ensure your wedding or event is planned to perfection! Supporting you brides and help you feel less overwhelmed during the wedding planning process.

Have fun the best is yet to come!

This is where I will be posting all videos about most common question about Destination wedding

:)  https://www.facebook...64036763874450/

Dream Weddings Riviera Maya
                  weddingsinplayadelcarmen@gmail.com
                  http://www.dreamwedd.../Home_Page.html

Happy Planning!
                  Joyce

#9 weddingsinplaya

weddingsinplaya
                  • Vendor
                  • 68 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Right on! An independent wedding planner is at your service since you pay her. The Hotel wedding planner works for the Hotel.

Claro...

Good luck!

Maria

#10 acd8809

acd8809
                    • 51 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by dreamweddings 

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by LCB803 

LCB803!

As a wedding planner in the Riviera Maya, I agree with you 100% its very important for you as a bride to trust and be comfortable with the person you choose to help you plan your wedding. As long as there is mutual understanding and communication then it will be easier to plan a stress free wedding!!

Happy planning!

Joyce

Thank you, Joyce and LCB803:

Both of you have just confirmed what I have been suspecting all along!  If someone is not getting paid for a specific service, then most likely, they are not going to go out of their way to help you, because everybody is spread pretty thin and their workload is so high these days.  I am currently looking into a good wedding planner who works in the Riviera Maya region.  I shall send  Joss Morales of Cancun Unique Weddings an email...    I want someone who has my best interest at heart, not the resort's.

Amanda

acd8809@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users