Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BridetobeABCD

Hiring a Wedding Coordinator

Recommended Posts

Thoughts about hiring the resort wedding coordinator or an outside Wedding Coordinator. I did find a site - Destination Wedding (?) which you can hire a wedding coordinator and they will plan the wedding at any resort. Anyone ever use this? Thoughts are much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually don't like the idea of using the resort's wedding coordinator. Sure, it's a free service, but in my experience, they just aren't very invested in helping YOU with YOUR wedding... They work for the resort, not you!

 

You can hire an outside WC that won't necessarily cost you anything out of pocket since many of them work off of commission. One company I know of that works off of commission is Euforia Events. My WC is an independent small business owner-- Joss Morales of Cancun Unique Weddings (she works all over the Riviera Maya) and I can't say enough good things about her! She charges $800 for her services, but so far we are so happy with her that $800 seems a pittance to pay for such a valuable resource! It is more than worth it. She works for US, and has her own endless list of preferred vendors and contacts, so I am not forced into anything, there is no pressure to use only the resort's vendors, I feel like I have more control and choice with her on the ground as my eyes and ears, and I can ask her a million questions and she does her best to make sure I am happy. Being a bit of a control freak who is planning a wedding thousands of miles away, this is invaluable :)

 

Whatever you choose, just make sure you are comfortable with the person and that you feel like you can trust them implicitly. It took some time for me to let go, but I have since learned just how much I can trust Joss (implicitly!) and I am now much less stressed :) Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by BridetobeABCD View Post

 

Thoughts about hiring the resort wedding coordinator or an outside Wedding Coordinator. I did find a site - Destination Wedding (?) which you can hire a wedding coordinator and they will plan the wedding at any resort. Anyone ever use this? Thoughts are much appreciated.

Love Love Love DestinationWeddings.com, we have Sally who is based out of Jersey (we're in MD) and we talk ALL of the time!! She's fantastic and some of my guests have been calling her to ask questions or change certain things and she's super helpful.  It's a $50 signup fee but once you book, it goes straight toward your reservation.  We checked out a Karisma resort webinar through them and because we ended up booking one of the Karisma properties (El Dorado Royale), they gave us a free upgrade (worth $1000!)  Seems too good to be true, but it isn't and if you have questions, feel free to ask!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by nbateman View Post

 

Love Love Love DestinationWeddings.com, we have Sally who is based out of Jersey (we're in MD) and we talk ALL of the time!! She's fantastic and some of my guests have been calling her to ask questions or change certain things and she's super helpful.  It's a $50 signup fee but once you book, it goes straight toward your reservation.  We checked out a Karisma resort webinar through them and because we ended up booking one of the Karisma properties (El Dorado Royale), they gave us a free upgrade (worth $1000!)  Seems too good to be true, but it isn't and if you have questions, feel free to ask!

I should also note that we'll be also working with a Lomas coordinator on site when we get to the resort.  I've already sent them a couple of my choices for events, dinner, etc. so we'll actually have two coordinators (one at home and one one site) for free!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by LCB803 View Post

 

I actually don't like the idea of using the resort's wedding coordinator. Sure, it's a free service, but in my experience, they just aren't very invested in helping YOU with YOUR wedding... They work for the resort, not you!

 

You can hire an outside WC that won't necessarily cost you anything out of pocket since many of them work off of commission. One company I know of that works off of commission is Euforia Events. My WC is an independent small business owner-- Joss Morales of Cancun Unique Weddings (she works all over the Riviera Maya) and I can't say enough good things about her! She charges $800 for her services, but so far we are so happy with her that $800 seems a pittance to pay for such a valuable resource! It is more than worth it. She works for US, and has her own endless list of preferred vendors and contacts, so I am not forced into anything, there is no pressure to use only the resort's vendors, I feel like I have more control and choice with her on the ground as my eyes and ears, and I can ask her a million questions and she does her best to make sure I am happy. Being a bit of a control freak who is planning a wedding thousands of miles away, this is invaluable :)

 

Whatever you choose, just make sure you are comfortable with the person and that you feel like you can trust them implicitly. It took some time for me to let go, but I have since learned just how much I can trust Joss (implicitly!) and I am now much less stressed :) Good luck!

LCB803!

 

As a wedding planner in the Riviera Maya, I agree with you 100% its very important for you as a bride to trust and be comfortable with the person you choose to help you plan your wedding. As long as there is mutual understanding and communication then it will be easier to plan a stress free wedding!!

 

Happy planning!

Joyce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by dreamweddings View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB803 View Post

 

I actually don't like the idea of using the resort's wedding coordinator. Sure, it's a free service, but in my experience, they just aren't very invested in helping YOU with YOUR wedding... They work for the resort, not you!

 

You can hire an outside WC that won't necessarily cost you anything out of pocket since many of them work off of commission. One company I know of that works off of commission is Euforia Events. My WC is an independent small business owner-- Joss Morales of Cancun Unique Weddings (she works all over the Riviera Maya) and I can't say enough good things about her! She charges $800 for her services, but so far we are so happy with her that $800 seems a pittance to pay for such a valuable resource! It is more than worth it. She works for US, and has her own endless list of preferred vendors and contacts, so I am not forced into anything, there is no pressure to use only the resort's vendors, I feel like I have more control and choice with her on the ground as my eyes and ears, and I can ask her a million questions and she does her best to make sure I am happy. Being a bit of a control freak who is planning a wedding thousands of miles away, this is invaluable :)

 

Whatever you choose, just make sure you are comfortable with the person and that you feel like you can trust them implicitly. It took some time for me to let go, but I have since learned just how much I can trust Joss (implicitly!) and I am now much less stressed :) Good luck!

LCB803!

 

As a wedding planner in the Riviera Maya, I agree with you 100% its very important for you as a bride to trust and be comfortable with the person you choose to help you plan your wedding. As long as there is mutual understanding and communication then it will be easier to plan a stress free wedding!!

 

Happy planning!

Joyce

Thank you, Joyce and LCB803:

 

Both of you have just confirmed what I have been suspecting all along!  If someone is not getting paid for a specific service, then most likely, they are not going to go out of their way to help you, because everybody is spread pretty thin and their workload is so high these days.  I am currently looking into a good wedding planner who works in the Riviera Maya region.  I shall send  Joss Morales of Cancun Unique Weddings an email...    I want someone who has my best interest at heart, not the resort's.

 

Amanda

acd8809@yahoo.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×