#11 AllieH

AllieH
  • Resort/Area Ambassadors
  • 2,014 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 5, 2012
  • Wedding Location:El Dorado Royale, Riviera Maya MX
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

I finally found one that will work - it was inexpensive, and I won't feel guilty if I decide not to wear it for the ceremony. but I will definitely be taking pictures with it!! it's a cathedral with some beads around the edge, for a whopping $37. It'll do just fine! 

Official El Dorado Royale/El Dorado Casitas Royale Thread <---check here for all info about EDR/EDCR

Wright Travel Agency <--for all your Destination Wedding needs! Contact the experts and reduce your stress. 

El Dorado Royale Brides Thread <---come chat with other EDR brides

AllieH's EDR 11-5-2012 Planning Thread <--because it was so awesome

#12 pacificgirl

pacificgirl
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

Your dress is beautiful! Personally, I'm wearing a veil because...well, when am I EVER going to get to wear one again? I'm wearing a fingertip length for the ceremony and pictures only, and then I'm taking it off for the reception and putting a hair flower in place of it. 

It's truly up to you! If you're worried about cost, Etsy has quite a few sellers that are very affordable. Also, they are very cheap to make and not to mention easy! It's really up to you in the end though hon. Personally, I think veils make wedding pictures that much better. Especially on the beach!

#13 McLecker

McLecker
    • 194 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

My wedding planner gave me a rule of thumb - for beach weddings - make sure your veil hits beneath your bum. Any shorter and it will fly in your face. This isn't my opinion as I haven't gone down to get married yet - so if you disagree, don't shoot the messenger :). I'm going to follow the bum rule and thought I should share it in case it is helpful.

#14 juliboley

juliboley
      • 76 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

That is a fantastic tip!  Thank you!!

#15 TheWolferts

TheWolferts
        • 458 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

My veil was just past my bum and flew all over my groom! My MOH had to take it out mid ceremony because it was all over the place, and I didnt even think it was that windy! I am glad I had it for some pictures after the wedding, but I wouldnt wear it down the isle again if I had to do it again.

Originally Posted by McLecker 

My wedding planner gave me a rule of thumb - for beach weddings - make sure your veil hits beneath your bum. Any shorter and it will fly in your face. This isn't my opinion as I haven't gone down to get married yet - so if you disagree, don't shoot the messenger :). I'm going to follow the bum rule and thought I should share it in case it is helpful.

#16 Ploman

Ploman
          • 425 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

I haven't tried it in the wind, but this is the one I bought. Shorter and to the side: 

http://www.bestdesti...t/display_order

Iberostar Rose Hall Beach, Montego Bay

91 guests and counting....

#17 ChocoTaco7568

ChocoTaco7568
            • 955 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

The topic came up casually this weekend and as it turns out, my Fi actually has an opinion about this and prefers that I wear a veil… who knew?!?!?  I had no intention of wearing a veil, I never even tried one on with my dress, but if he wants to see his bride with a veil than that’ s what he’ll get (at least for the ceremony and pics).  But now I have a lot of questions:

Are there any rules/guideline when selecting a veil dependent on your dresses silhouette, your height or torso length?

So I bought a sample, do I have to lug take my dress into a bridal store and try it on with veils in order to pick the best match? Or can I just pic one that I like online (huge online shopper).

My logic is if I get a veil with a bit of embellishment around the perimeter edge than maybe it will be weighed down enough and won’t be obnoxious during the ceremony. But will this weigh it down too much for the whimsical windblown pics after?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

#18 AllieH

AllieH
              • Resort/Area Ambassadors
              • 2,014 posts
              • Wedding Date:November 5, 2012
              • Wedding Location:El Dorado Royale, Riviera Maya MX
              • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

boys...aren't they funny? 

I think length is really a matter of preference. I tried on fingertip veils with my dress, and they worked well to show off the layers at the bottom of my dress. If I was not getting married on the beach, I probably would have gone with a finger tip. But I knew I wanted something longer for the breeze/wind photos. I wanted chapel or waltz length, but couldn't find one at a price I was willing to pay. 

In the end I bought an inexpensive cathedral veil with a beaded edge on eBay. I haven't tried it with my dress, but it's similar enough to the ones I tried on and liked in the stores. The beads really don't add any weight, but I'm sure you could add some larger ones to the very bottom to hold it down. 

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco7568 

The topic came up casually this weekend and as it turns out, my Fi actually has an opinion about this and prefers that I wear a veil… who knew?!?!?  I had no intention of wearing a veil, I never even tried one on with my dress, but if he wants to see his bride with a veil than that’ s what he’ll get (at least for the ceremony and pics).  But now I have a lot of questions:

Are there any rules/guideline when selecting a veil dependent on your dresses silhouette, your height or torso length?

So I bought a sample, do I have to lug take my dress into a bridal store and try it on with veils in order to pick the best match? Or can I just pic one that I like online (huge online shopper).

My logic is if I get a veil with a bit of embellishment around the perimeter edge than maybe it will be weighed down enough and won’t be obnoxious during the ceremony. But will this weigh it down too much for the whimsical windblown pics after?

Official El Dorado Royale/El Dorado Casitas Royale Thread <---check here for all info about EDR/EDCR

Wright Travel Agency <--for all your Destination Wedding needs! Contact the experts and reduce your stress. 

El Dorado Royale Brides Thread <---come chat with other EDR brides

AllieH's EDR 11-5-2012 Planning Thread <--because it was so awesome

#19 McLecker

McLecker
              • 194 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco7568 

Ha. Guys are so funny. You'd think they didn't care at all about most of that stuff. I lugged my dress to the store and tried it on - and I found it really made a difference in knowing what worked. Especially bc my train is so intricate. And the front has detail - we didn't want to take away from that with a busy veil. We went for clean lines and hand cut edge (that being said, I'm trying to replicate it in a cheaper version) but I did think that bringing my dress was helpful.... Good luck!

#20 ChocoTaco7568

ChocoTaco7568
                • 955 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

boys...aren't they funny?  I think length is really a matter of preference. I tried on fingertip veils with my dress, and they worked well to show off the layers at the bottom of my dress. If I was not getting married on the beach, I probably would have gone with a finger tip. But I knew I wanted something longer for the breeze/wind photos. I wanted chapel or waltz length, but couldn't find one at a price I was willing to pay.  In the end I bought an inexpensive cathedral veil with a beaded edge on eBay. I haven't tried it with my dress, but it's similar enough to the ones I tried on and liked in the stores. The beads really don't add any weight, but I'm sure you could add some larger ones to the very bottom to hold it down. 

Ha. Guys are so funny. You'd think they didn't care at all about most of that stuff. I lugged my dress to the store and tried it on - and I found it really made a difference in knowing what worked. Especially bc my train is so intricate. And the front has detail - we didn't want to take away from that with a busy veil. We went for clean lines and hand cut edge (that being said, I'm trying to replicate it in a cheaper version) but I did think that bringing my dress was helpful.... Good luck!

At least once a month he'll catch me off guard when it comes to a random wedding detail, I'm always amazed at the things he actually cares about and pays attention to. Anyway, thanks for the input ladies. I made an appt and I'm taking my dress on a field trip to try on veils.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users