Jump to content

Photo

Photographer: to bring along or hire local


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 balibride

balibride
  • Jr. Member
  • 153 posts

    Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

    We have found a local photographer and met him.... I think you have to go on his past pics and your gut instinct. Will let you know how it goes!

    #12 TATrisha

    TATrisha

      VIP Member

    • VIP Member
    • 12,377 posts
    • Wedding Date:April 11, 2008
    • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principle Akumal
    • LocationWisconsin

    Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

     Hi Kristin!

     

    Yeah, I've been around this forum for a really long time, and in August I'll be going back to the Gran Bahia to photograph another wedding, so I try to be as much of an expert at least on THAT resort as I can!! 

     

    I have put together this official thread and it has a bunch of information on Arrecife: Click

    Hi Tlseege

    You seem a real expert in destination weddings so wonder if you can assist me. We have been to the Bahia Principe chain of hotels for the last 15 years, having been to Mexico 3 times before we have just booked to get married there in June 2013 at Tulum Gazebo. ALthough only just booked Im a control freak and need to be organised, my main concern is the Photographer - read many onflicting reports of  Arrecife Studio . . . .

     

    We have booked the Sunshine package but I'm keen to know (like yesterday) whats the story with the photographer and I cant see any details on either their website or FB page of costs or how long do they actually spend with you during the day.  Yes you get 10 photos in the package but what size photo's? whats the cost for additional photos?  How many photos do they take? can you buy the CD of all the photos?  

     

    Any information would be greatly apprecaited.

     

    Many thanks Kirstin X

     

    I apprecaite we have only just booked and the Wedding Co-ordinator will be able to advise but would liek to be ahead of the game


    ~Trisha~

    Destination Wedding Photographer & Travel Agent
    www.faberphotography.com - My latest destination wedding photos can be found HERE

    Disney Specialist  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

     
    Looking for a travel agent that KNOWS DISNEY?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
     
    Awards and recognition: 
    Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)   |  AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  |  Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits | Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner   |   Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
    sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
    Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.


    #13 Oct 2012 Bride

    Oct 2012 Bride
    • Jr. Member
    • 217 posts

      Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

      Originally Posted by balibride 

      We have found a local photographer and met him.... I think you have to go on his past pics and your gut instinct. Will let you know how it goes!


      Balibride-

       

      Who are you working with? Do they have a website?



      #14 claruickie

      claruickie
      • Jr. Member
      • 225 posts
      • Wedding Date:June 20, 2013
      • Wedding Location:Tulum Gazebo @ Bahia Principe Mayan Riveria , Mexico
      • LocationAberdeen SCOTLAND

      Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

      mmm lots of conflicting reports on the hotel photographer, have to say all the photos I have looked at from them are amazing, its the cost for additional photos/cd thats irritating.

      Being a photographer yourself have you ever had several brides split the cost of you travelling to cover more than 1 wedding over several days? 



      #15 Oct 2012 Bride

      Oct 2012 Bride
      • Jr. Member
      • 217 posts

        Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

        Originally Posted by claruickie 

        mmm lots of conflicting reports on the hotel photographer, have to say all the photos I have looked at from them are amazing, its the cost for additional photos/cd thats irritating.

        Being a photographer yourself have you ever had several brides split the cost of you travelling to cover more than 1 wedding over several days? 

        This is a great question. I eally want to know the answer.



        #16 JayKay

        JayKay
        • Sr. Member
        • 3,472 posts
        • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
        • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
        • LocationSouthern Alberta

        Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

        I think this is really a tough decision.  For us photos were a priority for us, however, we didn't have a large budget for photography.  We debated between bringing a photographer with us and hiring a local photographer from the island.  We looked at a few different photographers to bring with us and all of them were way out of our budget.  It would have been great to be able to bring one with us seeing as you usually get more bang for your buck.  We might have been able to afford to bring a photographer with us if we were able to share with another couple getting married at the same place within a few days, but that was impossible.  We ended up hiring a local Jamaican photographer, Merrick Cousley, and we are so happy we did.  His photos are phenomenal and his price was amazing.  I also feel that because he is used to shooting weddings in a Caribbean location he was familiar with the sun and sky and such that goes along with tropical destinations.  In the end we chose to hire a local photographer rather then bring our own to save us money without having to compromise quality of pictures.



        #17 tmemise

        tmemise
        • Newbie
        • 135 posts

          Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

          My sister-in law is flying in a photographer from her hometown Toronto to her wedding at RMB. He just opened his business and she liked his work and price. www.mrrimaging.com. Hope this helps, as I liked the pics he took.
           



          #18 Peach

          Peach
          • Sr. Member
          • 1,293 posts

            Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

            Originally Posted by JayKay 

            I think this is really a tough decision.  For us photos were a priority for us, however, we didn't have a large budget for photography.  We debated between bringing a photographer with us and hiring a local photographer from the island.  We looked at a few different photographers to bring with us and all of them were way out of our budget.  It would have been great to be able to bring one with us seeing as you usually get more bang for your buck.  We might have been able to afford to bring a photographer with us if we were able to share with another couple getting married at the same place within a few days, but that was impossible.  We ended up hiring a local Jamaican photographer, Merrick Cousley, and we are so happy we did.  His photos are phenomenal and his price was amazing.  I also feel that because he is used to shooting weddings in a Caribbean location he was familiar with the sun and sky and such that goes along with tropical destinations.  In the end we chose to hire a local photographer rather then bring our own to save us money without having to compromise quality of pictures.

             



            I think we are in the same situation. The photographer we would be bringing along with us, if we decide to go with that option, has no experience in tropical settings (which is why we would get such an awesome price)... I love her style, but not knowing what we are getting ahead of time makes us nervous. We can get a decent price, and decent pictures, with someone familiar with the area and used to sun, sand, salt, and so on.

            I think it is worth it.

            And, actually, after pricing it all out, FI and I are in agreement on adding on some of the extras I wanted but wasn't sure were worth it. The more we talked about it, the more we realized that the pictures and video (our photography packages can include videography too) are really our highest priority... well, each other first, then the location, then pictures and video...

             

            Now I hope we can book who we are after!



            #19 JayKay

            JayKay
            • Sr. Member
            • 3,472 posts
            • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
            • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
            • LocationSouthern Alberta

            Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

            I hope you are able to book who you want.  Also, the one regret from my wedding is that we didnt hire a videographer to save money.  I really wish we had.

            Originally Posted by Peach 

             



            I think we are in the same situation. The photographer we would be bringing along with us, if we decide to go with that option, has no experience in tropical settings (which is why we would get such an awesome price)... I love her style, but not knowing what we are getting ahead of time makes us nervous. We can get a decent price, and decent pictures, with someone familiar with the area and used to sun, sand, salt, and so on.

            I think it is worth it.

            And, actually, after pricing it all out, FI and I are in agreement on adding on some of the extras I wanted but wasn't sure were worth it. The more we talked about it, the more we realized that the pictures and video (our photography packages can include videography too) are really our highest priority... well, each other first, then the location, then pictures and video...

             

            Now I hope we can book who we are after!



            #20 TATrisha

            TATrisha

              VIP Member

            • VIP Member
            • 12,377 posts
            • Wedding Date:April 11, 2008
            • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principle Akumal
            • LocationWisconsin

            Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

            So sorry I didn't see this earlier.  There are DEFINITELY savings if you can get together with another bride and fly in a photographer.  The flight is typically the expensive part, so you definitely will see savings.  For the Gran Bahia thread and the NOW Jade thread, that's why I created a bridal roll call.  You can see who is getting married near your date and hopefully share some expenses :)

             

            And yes, I have had brides split the cost.  I photographed two weddings in Cabo last year via that method.  Both weddings were at Dreams Los Cabos.  Wedding 1 and Wedding 2

             

            As for the resort photographer, their prices are crazy ridiculous.  And the photo quality really isn't good.  If you compare them to any photographer that you see on the major wedding blogs (style me pretty, what junebugloves, green wedding shoes, etc), you'll notice a huge difference in the look of the photos.  It's hard for people who aren't photographers to notice the flaws, which is good, because then hopefully you'll be happy with the photos.  I just would hate for you to hate the photos a few years down the line and have regrets.


            ~Trisha~

            Destination Wedding Photographer & Travel Agent
            www.faberphotography.com - My latest destination wedding photos can be found HERE

            Disney Specialist  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

             
            Looking for a travel agent that KNOWS DISNEY?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
             
            Awards and recognition: 
            Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)   |  AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  |  Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits | Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner   |   Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
            sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
            Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.





            0 user(s) are reading this topic

            0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users