ChocoTaco, thanks for inviting me to this thread!! Hi ladies, I will hopefully be a May 2013 bride in the Riviera Maya!!! My fiance and I still haven't decided on a venue and I'm getting really nervous that we won't get May if we wait too long! We are planning on going to the Riviera Maya the last week of July 2012 to visit places and do all the planning we can onsite. My FI doesn't want to decide until we do site visits in July!! Do you ladies think it's a big risk? Should I book places now that give 100% refund 6 months before the wedding? I have looked a lot on-line but nothing seems right... This is what we want in a venue:
-Chapel since it will be a Catholic ceremony
-We had hoped to have an outside venue on the beach or garden or at least a ball room with a view to the ocean (but from what I have read most AI resorts don't allow beach weddings late at night?)
-We want the reception to go on until 2am at least
-We are planning on having 100-120 guests
Because of all this I was looking at non-resort venues: Xcaret and Secret Jewel in Playa del Secreto... Xcaret is waaay over our budget unfortunately, because it looks beautiful. Secret Jewel seems like a good option, but people keep telling me that we will save a lot of $$ if we do it at an AI resort. I don't know what to do!!
Any suggestions, ladies? Did anyone do on-site visits before booking?
Thanks in advance! And aside from my frustration of not having a place yet, I am so excited to be part of this thread!!