Jump to content

Photo

Printer for DIY Passports


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MissBubbles205

MissBubbles205
  • Sr. Member
  • 1,350 posts

    Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

    Good Morning Everyone!

     

    I am considering making our own passport wedding invitations, to save us a ton of money. Does anyone have suggestions on what printer to use? I am wanting to make mine with the Metallic Cardstock and want to avoid the ink running or rubbing off.

     

    I've read a previous post where someone did their passports with the Dell V515W All-in-one printer, but I was wondering if there was any more suggestions.

     

    Also, any advice for thesem is greatly appreciated, especially pics. :o)



    #2 KalikLove

    KalikLove
    • Jr. Member
    • 178 posts

      Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

      I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing. but I'm goign to use a professional local printer and then put them togeather myself. I cannot afford the headake of printing on my semi-pro printer. good luck!



      #3 MissBubbles205

      MissBubbles205
      • Sr. Member
      • 1,350 posts

        Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

        Our Graphics team with all the good printers have moved to another building.. :o(

         

        My mom has a really good laser printer at work.. But I've read a few reviews saying the laser printers don't work well for the passports I want to do. IE: the ink rubs off the metallic cardstock. :o(

        So, are you using like a paper company or like a Kinko's? I didn't think of this.

         

        Originally Posted by KalikLove 

        I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing. but I'm goign to use a professional local printer and then put them togeather myself. I cannot afford the headake of printing on my semi-pro printer. good luck!



         



        #4 finleya

        finleya
        • Jr. Member
        • 189 posts

          Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

          What you might do is just test it out on your mother's printer with just one and see how it goes. Kinko's can do that kind of stuff but they really do overcharge for it.



          #5 guilaine87

          guilaine87
          • Newbie
          • 28 posts

            Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

            I bought a Epson all in one ink jet printer to do mine and I have had no problems printing it myself. I have heard the same thing about Laser printers and that some papers don't work with it. Most are fine with Ink jet though. Definitely recommend testing, that would tell you for sure.



            #6 JennyBenz

            JennyBenz
            • Jr. Member
            • 338 posts

              Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

              Hey bubbles! Did you find a printer that was able to cooperate with your metallic card stock?

              Hope so! I used my new HP all-in-one printer I purchased a few months back [sorry don't have the model # on me] and it came out fine on the metallic card stock [again, I swear we're twins LOL]. You have to be careful and only print a few at a time, to avoid jamming. And lay them out to dry otherwise they stick to one another and it smears. Hope it goes well, if you haven't done so already =)



              #7 MissBubbles205

              MissBubbles205
              • Sr. Member
              • 1,350 posts

                Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

                Originally Posted by JennyBenz 

                Hey bubbles! Did you find a printer that was able to cooperate with your metallic card stock?

                Hope so! I used my new HP all-in-one printer I purchased a few months back [sorry don't have the model # on me] and it came out fine on the metallic card stock [again, I swear we're twins LOL]. You have to be careful and only print a few at a time, to avoid jamming. And lay them out to dry otherwise they stick to one another and it smears. Hope it goes well, if you haven't done so already =)

                 Thanks for sharing Jenny.. :o) I thought smearing might be an issue. I'm still tweeking our invites and Save the Dates.. But I'm hoping by week after next I can do a test print of both on my moms work computer. :o) Fingers crossed it works, otherwise I'll be back on the hunt for a good and good priced printer. :o)



                #8 JennyBenz

                JennyBenz
                • Jr. Member
                • 338 posts

                  Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:32 AM

                  My worry was also the smearing- I would say out of the 150 I printed, maybe 5 of them smeared [so faintly I barely noticed]! Just be sure to take them out as soon as they're done printing, b/c the next page that comes out will hit it & smear b/c ink is still slightly wet. Can't wait to see how they come out! I just finished mine, so I'll be posting in the DIY forum today =)

                   

                  Originally Posted by MissBubbles205 

                   Thanks for sharing Jenny.. :o) I thought smearing might be an issue. I'm still tweeking our invites and Save the Dates.. But I'm hoping by week after next I can do a test print of both on my moms work computer. :o) Fingers crossed it works, otherwise I'll be back on the hunt for a good and good priced printer. :o)



                  #9 MissBubbles205

                  MissBubbles205
                  • Sr. Member
                  • 1,350 posts

                    Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

                    Originally Posted by JennyBenz 

                    My worry was also the smearing- I would say out of the 150 I printed, maybe 5 of them smeared [so faintly I barely noticed]! Just be sure to take them out as soon as they're done printing, b/c the next page that comes out will hit it & smear b/c ink is still slightly wet. Can't wait to see how they come out! I just finished mine, so I'll be posting in the DIY forum today =)

                     

                     Thanks for the tip!  I just printed a test Save the Date and it smeared. :o(

                     

                    Can't wait to see how yours turned out!!



                    #10 NeeNeeLeake

                    NeeNeeLeake
                    • Newbie
                    • 45 posts

                      Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

                      Can't wait to see how they turn out. I was wondering the same thing...I hate smears and will probably opt to have them professionally printed...but either way i hope yours work out!






                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users