2013 Paradisus Palma Real

For those worried about hair and makeup- I don't know what your tastes are but Dominicans can do hair! I have been going to Dominican salons all my life. My suggestion would be to bring lots of pictures and run trials here and then take a pic of a trial here. As far as makeup- Erica your suggestion is good. You can have a bridal party member do your makeup. I will let the salon do it just bc its included and if I dont like it my mom can fix it. 

My planning call is today at 2! I feel like I waited forever for it and it just came out of left field. Yikes!

Originally Posted by EVKnowsitall View Post

For those worried about hair and makeup- I don't know what your tastes are but Dominicans can do hair! I have been going to Dominican salons all my life. My suggestion would be to bring lots of pictures and run trials here and then take a pic of a trial here. As far as makeup- Erica your suggestion is good. You can have a bridal party member do your makeup. I will let the salon do it just bc its included and if I dont like it my mom can fix it. 

My planning call is today at 2! I feel like I waited forever for it and it just came out of left field. Yikes!

Good luck with your planning call! Let us know how it goes!

My

Oyyyy. I'm worried too we are in July. LOL What time is everything taking place? Our ceremony is at 5 pm in church and 7 for cocktail and reception at 8:00 pm on beach so I'm hoping it will cool down by then. My dress is tight with heavy beading but it can be a little of an issue. The reception is so short and nothing compares to my dress so in my mind- keep it on girl! Suffer through lol Its once in your life! And then switch into a short reception dress for the after party- if you are intending to keep it going. I know I am.  Since we are getting legally married in NY before heading to DR to avoid the headache of getting married there- I purchased a little white cocktail dress from a store called Cache. They had 4 short white options and 2 long, flowy, chiffon looking dresses. I tried all of them on haha. We never did an engagement shoot so we hired a photog to take pics of us in the courthouse. The dress was a little of a splurge at $198 but I intend on wearing it again at the resort, most likely once I take my wedding dress off at the end of the night and get ready to boogie down. I don't know how heavy your dress is, or what time of day you are getting married. Those two factors will weigh on your decision- but I think my dress is too fab to take off unless I'm about to pass out. I even joke to my friends about starting a blog called The Perpetual Bride and going everywhere with my dress on- groceries, work, the park...lol

Oyyyy. I'm worried too we are in July. LOL What time is everything taking place? Our ceremony is at 5 pm in church and 7 for cocktail and reception at 8:00 pm on beach so I'm hoping it will cool down by then. My dress is tight with heavy beading but it can be a little of an issue. The reception is so short and nothing compares to my dress so in my mind- keep it on girl! Suffer through lol Its once in your life! And then switch into a short reception dress for the after party- if you are intending to keep it going. I know I am.  Since we are getting legally married in NY before heading to DR to avoid the headache of getting married there- I purchased a little white cocktail dress from a store called Cache. They had 4 short white options and 2 long, flowy, chiffon looking dresses. I tried all of them on haha. We never did an engagement shoot so we hired a photog to take pics of us in the courthouse. The dress was a little of a splurge at $198 but I intend on wearing it again at the resort, most likely once I take my wedding dress off at the end of the night and get ready to boogie down. I don't know how heavy your dress is, or what time of day you are getting married. Those two factors will weigh on your decision- but I think my dress is too fab to take off unless I'm about to pass out. I even joke to my friends about starting a blog called The Perpetual Bride and going everywhere with my dress on- groceries, work, the park...lol
Our ceremony is at 4 so it will be HOT... But I hear you... I paid enough for the dress that I really should wear it for the whole thing! We are getting married in NJ before we leave too. I didn't even think of what to wear to that yet! I am like 5 1/2 weeks away and so many details to still figure out!

I am super nervous about jair and make up as well. I am trying a hair and make up but before going down, I am going to go to MAC and have them do my makeup and have one of my bridesmaids come with me for back up. I also had them what make-up they use and they use bodyography if anyone is interested. I am going to try and keep my hair simple but elegant. I am jsut bringing my own products haha might be a little crazy. For the girls with the bridal party drama, I can totally sympathesize. Our best man was all about doing our destination wedding then became unsure about. Then said he wasnt going to go then then he was. The day that the groomsmen went to go try on their outfits. He showed tried on the vest and then not the pants and when we said something to him he said that he wasnt going to go. Then a few days later texted my fiance and said he never asked to be the best man! what a jerk. My thoughts for these are theyre better off not coming and ruining everyone special day!
Erica, I am doing a make up trial at Mac too on April 21st. I figure I will have a back up plan if I don't like how the salon does my make up. I read somewhere that a girl named Claudia is the best at hair and make up at Palma real. I plan to ask for her, if at all possible! Suzanne

I'm totally with you and freaking out!!!! I consider myself a bit of a control freak and the one thing I'm genuinely concerned about is the hair and makeup. Our wedding is on a Sunday and we arrive the Thursday before so I'm planning on doing a trial at some point on Friday. I was actually emailing back and forth with Yoanny, the spa manager, today and the trial for hair and makeup is $126+ tax. It kills me to pay for this but I don't think that I'd rest easy without it so I'm just going to bite the bullet and spend the money!!!! I'm not so much concerned about the weather... it's more about how the makeup will actually look.  Darlene 
Hello fellow control freak! I totally agree to get the hair and make up trial done. I am going to too. It's worth the fee to be calm on our wedding day. I am doing a messy side bun. You? Suzanne

My planning call update- The whole call took about 20 minutes and as others have said, was primarily to hammer out details. Nothing really new, although it was nice talking to a human for a change. I booked my appointment at the salon for 11:30 am so that I have time to get dressed back at my suite since I am foregoing renting the bridal suite. I just figured it was an unnecessary expense. We are having a "First look" session at 3, so I needed an early appointment.

I think I love a lot of pictures of things I see but in theory- I can't rationalize their cost. For example- favors and having to transport them. We purchased luggage tag gift kits from Michaels. The tags are silver and we were going to use them as our placecards. I thought this was a cheap souvenir but you know what? I'm ok with it lol Especially since we are having an AHR when we come home and I was considering giving all our guests, including those coming to our wedding in DR- mini photo books from the wedding. Its a better memento, I won't have to bring it to DR with me, and it will fill up our AHR tables. I could tie a ribbon around each with a tag and those can double as our place cards for the AHR. Wheels are a turning in my head. 

Originally Posted by Suzhen View Post

So is anyone doing welcome bags for your guests? We want to but not sure how we get the welcome bag to guests not staying at the reserve where we are... Thoughts?

Suzanne

I thought about it but as our guest list dwindles...I'm not sure I want the headache or expense. I don't know if its worth it and I don't want to haul too many things over. A lot of what people put in the bags just does not seem worth it to me. I like flip flops, the keycard holders...but I can't think of anything else to put in that would make it worth my while. I am expecting 34-40 guests. Even at 99 cents each- sample items will run us $50 per item. And again- I would have to cart all that extra stuff on my own. I am thinking of a nice thank you note with a small token for each guest and just doing the bags for my bridal party. The jury is still out though.

So is anyone doing welcome bags for your guests? We want to but not sure how we get the welcome bag to guests not staying at the reserve where we are... Thoughts? Suzanne
We are doing bags and having them at the check in desk at Palma Real (for an additional fee) but we also have guests staying at the reserve so anyone staying at the reserve will get their bag when we see them! Or if we have time, we will take the golf cart over and hand deliver them :) I got a great price on really cute bags from The Wedding Chicks Shop... much cheaper than buying them on Etsy! We got wedding welcome tags with itineraries on the back for $1 each from Etsy (Jones Street Press) and they turned out perfect! 400 We got little things to put inside nothing major except my fiancé wanted to do t-shirts inside them. Can't wait to see how the t-shirts turn out!

Originally Posted by LL117 View Post

We are doing bags and having them at the check in desk at Palma Real (for an additional fee) but we also have guests staying at the reserve so anyone staying at the reserve will get their bag when we see them! Or if we have time, we will take the golf cart over and hand deliver them :) I got a great price on really cute bags from The Wedding Chicks Shop... much cheaper than buying them on Etsy! We got wedding welcome tags with itineraries on the back for $1 each from Etsy (Jones Street Press) and they turned out perfect! 400

We got little things to put inside nothing major except my fiancé wanted to do t-shirts inside them. Can't wait to see how the t-shirts turn out!

I love those tags.I might go poking around on that site- adorable. Love the color scheme as well.