Jump to content

Photo

Is anyone else as mad as I am


  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Nrvsbride

Nrvsbride
  • Sr. Member
  • 5,248 posts

    Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:50 PM

    OMG. Okay first of all I 100% admit that I am ignorant b/c I while I am well aware that there is still racism I had no idea that there were still segregated restrooms in the South. About a couple of months ago I read an article in the paper about a southern high school (I forget in which state) which had their first intergrated prom. I swear to you I fell out of the chair when I saw that. A 2007 high school prom! I had no idea they had segregated proms. That is when I clued into the fact that these types of things are still occuring.

    I am shocked and appalled by this type of behavior. I was born and raised in Flushing, New York, which is the most diverse city in America. I absolutely loved every moment of it. I loved having classmates from every country and friends who taught me a vast array of culture things. I view people as humans and not as races and people like the ones in this article are disgusting. I am beyond perturbed that things like this are still going on today. As much as I dislike the Reverend Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, I hope their big mouths/publicity hungry personas will bring national attention to this matter and shed light on the disgusting racial inequalities that are still prevelant in America today.

    #22 dragonfly

    dragonfly
    • Sr. Member
    • 1,820 posts

      Posted 17 September 2007 - 01:11 PM

      Wow, I am blessed to live in a wonderfully diverse area of Canada. It saddens, and angers, me to think anyone could ever see my child, and my husband as less of a human being then a white person. I also had no idea in the USA prejudice (to this degree) like this still exists. Where is the goverment in all of this, how can they still allow this type of enviroment to be allowed in what is suppose to be one of the most progressively forward countries in the world. In a country where your rights as a human being are suppose to be protected. How dare the USA go into other countries as the protector of human rights, and then ignore what is happening in their own backyard! It boggles the mind!

      #23 LadyP

      LadyP
      • Sr. Member
      • 3,156 posts

        Posted 17 September 2007 - 01:46 PM

        My experience in Cananda was different. However there was an article last month stating that blacks who are seen as less than a dog were going to lose voting priveledges in 08. A typo in the proclomation (spelling) It was a mess. Hilary Clinton found it.

        #24 Nrvsbride

        Nrvsbride
        • Sr. Member
        • 5,248 posts

          Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:03 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by dragonfly
          Wow, I am blessed to live in a wonderfully diverse area of Canada. It saddens, and angers, me to think anyone could ever see my child, and my husband as less of a human being then a white person. I also had no idea in the USA prejudice (to this degree) like this still exists. Where is the goverment in all of this, how can they still allow this type of enviroment to be allowed in what is suppose to be one of the most progressively forward countries in the world. In a country where your rights as a human being are suppose to be protected. How dare the USA go into other countries as the protector of human rights, and then ignore what is happening in their own backyard! It boggles the mind!
          Well said Kelly!

          #25 Chiquita

          Chiquita
          • Sr. Member
          • 2,674 posts

            Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:49 PM

            Totally agree with you Kelly!! Here in BC it's the same.. so many cultures here that it was nice to have such variety! I can't believe this still goes on down in the south.. so horrible!

            #26 Rachelle E.

            Rachelle E.
            • VIP Member
            • 4,116 posts

              Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

              Quote:
              Okay first of all I 100% admit that I am ignorant b/c I while I am well aware that there is still racism I had no idea that there were still segregated restrooms in the South.
              I live in the south and I have never seen a segregated restroom. While I agree that there are still far too many injustices and this situation in particular is an outrage. . .the segregated restroom comment must be pertaining to a very specific builidng or something (which is ridiculous if it does exsist....how is that place not regulated?? Why hasn't anyone done anything about that!?) because I have never in my life seen anything like that.

              I'm not discounting the severity of the situation and I know that there are still small pockets in cities and towns where people do and say terrible, intolorent things. But I don't want people thinking that if you're anywhere south of Kansas that everything is segregated and people are mean. That's simply not true.

              #27 Nrvsbride

              Nrvsbride
              • Sr. Member
              • 5,248 posts

                Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:31 PM

                Stop lying Rachelle we know your mean. Its so evident by all your posts. Your always so harsh on everyone...

                I wish we could see each other through the computer b/c then you would see that I couldn't even say that with a straight face. LOl. I am clearly 100% kidding, you are one of the nicest people I have ever met. (Well cyberspace met)

                I know its not like that everywhere in the South. I have been to Texas so I am fully aware that it is not that way. Its just so shocking that there are small little towns where they still have these things in certain areas in the South. So bizarre!!

                #28 dragonfly

                dragonfly
                • Sr. Member
                • 1,820 posts

                  Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by LadyP
                  My experience in Cananda was different. However there was an article last month stating that blacks who are seen as less than a dog were going to lose voting priveledges in 08. A typo in the proclomation (spelling) It was a mess. Hilary Clinton found it.
                  What was your experiene in Canada, I sincerely hope not negative. If it was what part of Canada were you visiting?

                  My neighbourhod is a wonderful place for Liam to grow up in. My neighbours alone are Korean, Jamaican, Trinidadian, Chinese, Guiyenese, East Indian, and many mixed families as ourselves. These are just of course the neighbours I know.

                  Everton and I have a group of friends we spend all of our time with. These friends are a wonderful diverse group of people who teach us all a different view on the world we live in. We have Me who is Irish Canadian, Everton born in Jamaica, Tracy, born in Pallenstine, her husband George born in Jamaica, Omura, born in Turkey, her partner Shane from Trinidad, Windy native American, and Darrin Canadian. We call ourselves the United nations of friendship, I am blessed to have found these people and the world would be a better place if the love, we all have for one another, could reflect the world we live in.

                  The community I am raising my children in I sincerely hope one day can be the world my children live in. I will continue to dream this for all of us, and I sincerely believe change begins in our own backyards.

                  As my children would say, Peace out

                  #29 Rachelle E.

                  Rachelle E.
                  • VIP Member
                  • 4,116 posts

                    Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:18 AM

                    Quote:
                    Stop lying Rachelle we know your mean. Its so evident by all your posts. Your always so harsh on everyone...

                    I wish we could see each other through the computer b/c then you would see that I couldn't even say that with a straight face. LOl. I am clearly 100% kidding, you are one of the nicest people I have ever met. (Well cyberspace met)

                    I know its not like that everywhere in the South. I have been to Texas so I am fully aware that it is not that way. Its just so shocking that there are small little towns where they still have these things in certain areas in the South. So bizarre!!

                    LOL! omg Glenda...you should have seen my face when I read that first sentence! lol! I swear my eyes almost popped out of my head! Then I kept reading and started laughing. Holy crap girl...you totally caught me off gaurd for a second there!

                    And yeah, I agree it's shocking and bizzare to hear about that kind of small-minded prejudice that still manages to exsist in places.

                    And just for the record, I agree w/ Kelly that Canada is one of the most friendly and diverse places I've been. I adore Canada even though I've only been to a few places in BC. I'd LOVE to explore more of that country and I've always found the people to be very warm and open.

                    #30 LadyP

                    LadyP
                    • Sr. Member
                    • 3,156 posts

                      Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:28 AM

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by redwards
                      I live in the south and I have never seen a segregated restroom. While I agree that there are still far too many injustices and this situation in particular is an outrage. . .the segregated restroom comment must be pertaining to a very specific builidng or something (which is ridiculous if it does exsist....how is that place not regulated?? Why hasn't anyone done anything about that!?) because I have never in my life seen anything like that.

                      I'm not discounting the severity of the situation and I know that there are still small pockets in cities and towns where people do and say terrible, intolorent things. But I don't want people thinking that if you're anywhere south of Kansas that everything is segregated and people are mean. That's simply not true.

                      My family is from Raleigh and Durham and there is a small like you said small city that has bathrooms that say colored and white. Now it doesnt mean that everyone is not using them. But I DAMN sure left there and have not returned. Yes it is those small small southern places that still have that mentality. no it is not everyone thank God but even in the north there is racism




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users