Steph's DIY passport invites - pictures, instructions and advice

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#21 sugarfox

• 25 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:31 AM

These are amazing!  I'm really impressed that you used Word and still managed to make these look great.

#22 akamikey11

• 203 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:54 AM

These are beautiful...you should be so happy with the end results.  The wording, how it is put together, everything is perfect and a lot better than some of the professional ones I have seen.

A couple of questions if you do not mind.

How many did you end up making?  Do you think it would print out the same on a home laser printing if you do not have a "good commercial quality office laser printer" to use?

How much did they cost to mail?

And how much do you think you spent total on making them?

Thanks in advance

#23 skp1

• 405 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:31 AM

Thanks so much for the compliments!  And thanks for the nomination for the February contest!  Oddly I haven't heard much from our guests - I got so many e-mails/texts/calls on the boarding pass STD's but only about 2 for these which I think are far superior.  Oh well.

akamikey11 - I made about 50 invites which didn't seem too daunting.  It cost me about $200 total but half of that was "press" printing the covers.  You can totally do it for less if you don't have the special printing.  I figured the rest of my printing was free so I could justify it.  I'm sure you'd be fine with a home laser printer.  You might want to stick with a more white color but I think its fine.  The weight is thick enough for the invite (especially since I basically doubled up the covers by gluing them) but not like cardstock which I think is harder to feed through printers.  And I think envelopes would be easier on a smaller home machine and might not need "tricking" like mine did.  I used a $.61 stamp to mail them which is standard for wedding invites.  If I hadn't have made the folders it would have been a regular $.44 stamp but that extra paper pushed it slightly over an ounce.

Good luck!

Steph & John........Atlantis.......June 18, 2011......happily married

#24 dimplesandsuga

• 154 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

THESE ARE AWESOME!!!! I would love to get this done for my wedding but I know I don't have the time. In your travels have you seen anyone do something on the level that you have? I'm dying to get these!

#25 kiwibride

• 275 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:34 PM

Steph those are fantastic you are very talented, i do not have an artistic bone in my body! I lived in Nassau for 2 years I lived at harborside resort which is part of Atlantis. You and your guests will have such a fun time. I left 2 years ago now and still really missed it. If you would like any suggestions on restaurants outside the resort let me know. Victoria

#26 snanderson

• Site Supporter
            • 97 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

Very nice, would you like to do mine for me???

11.12.11...On this day I will marry my best friend, the one I laugh with and live for....
              The Couples Resort - Tower Isle
              Ocho Rios, Jamaica

#27 mpweddingplan

• Site Supporter
              • 261 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:17 AM

These look amazing for DIY invites.  Thanks for posting.

#28 skp1

• 405 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

Yes, DIY projects like do take a lot of time.  it's rewarding in the end though.  I tired to spread everything out over a month so as not to get overwhelmed - do one thing each night while watching TV.  I definitely have not mastered the art of efficiency - I bet if I tried selling them and added up the hours I spent, I'd end up making about China's minimum wage :)

Funny thing is I'm am a CPA - the most boring, uncreative (well except for those Andersen folks working on Enron) profession there is.  I guess that's why I go overboard in my personal projects - I need an outlet to express myself.

Kiwibride-I may need some recommendations for Nassau items - I'm looking to have a low key (ie not Senor Frogs) bachelorette party 2 nights before the wedding. Any ideas? 

Steph & John........Atlantis.......June 18, 2011......happily married

#29 missmeliss

• 172 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

wow these are amazing!

November 26th 2011 - Gran Bahai Principe Jamacia
                    Booked: 31 Adults + 5 children + Bride and Groom!!!

#30 AngelaPolles

• Site Supporter
                    • 66 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

Wow Beautiful! awesome job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users