Photo

Symbolic versus Legal Ceremony

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Brenners

Brenners
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:58 PM

I have read conflicting information regarding the fees, requirements and issues associated with a legal ceremony in Mexico.  Has anyone or is anyone having a legal ceremony and where can I find an accurate and legal list of what is required to make it legal in the US?  If possible I would love to do a legal ceremony but otherwise we will need to do that at home and symbolic only in Mexico.

#2 perry1217

perry1217
    • 355 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

Hi Brenners!  Since the laws can be different based on the area of Mexico you are getting married in, I'd strongly suggest contacting your WC for the specifics.  They would have the most accurate and up to date info

Originally Posted by Brenners 

I have read conflicting information regarding the fees, requirements and issues associated with a legal ceremony in Mexico.  Has anyone or is anyone having a legal ceremony and where can I find an accurate and legal list of what is required to make it legal in the US?  If possible I would love to do a legal ceremony but otherwise we will need to do that at home and symbolic only in Mexico.

Playacar Palace Bride - January 6, 2012!!!!

#3 Brenners

Brenners
      • 807 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

Thanks Perry!  I will need to do that when I make a final decision on the location!

#4 Sharon99

Sharon99
        • 1,301 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

Agreed. I am getting married near Cancun and we have to be there 3 business days (before 12pm) to consider the wedding legal. Along with all the paperwork like birth cirt, passport & something from customs(I forget what paper its called. The airport always gives it to you when you enter another country) We also have to get our blood taken at the resort by a doctor which will cost us $200 cash each. Of course your resort maybe different so I would ask your WC at the resort. But I don't think any of it is a big deal!

Originally Posted by perry1217 

Hi Brenners!  Since the laws can be different based on the area of Mexico you are getting married in, I'd strongly suggest contacting your WC for the specifics.  They would have the most accurate and up to date info

#5 Brenners

Brenners
          • 807 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

Is there anything we need to do once we get back to the US?  I heard that since the marriage certificate will be in Spanish, that we are required to have it translated to English for it to be recognized as legal in the US but that seems very odd to me.

#6 Sharon99

Sharon99
            • 1,301 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:17 AM

hmm I have not heard of this. I am not sure but I will ask my WC about this. It does sound odd to me too but you never know.

#7 perry1217

perry1217
              • 355 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

I was told that the docs would have to be translated, so there would be additional fees.  Double check with your WC, but my FI and I decided when all was said and done to have a symbolic ceremony and do the legal (veryyyyy quietly) when we get back.  No one would be any the wiser :)

Playacar Palace Bride - January 6, 2012!!!!

#8 Brenners

Brenners
                • 807 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:53 PM

Gosh that seems crazy.  I will need to do some more research.  If anyone finds out any information, then please share and I will do the same!

#9 snowbeltchick

snowbeltchick
                  • 192 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

One of the reasons we didn't choose Mexico was because of the bloodwork required for a legal ceremony.  We really wanted our ceremony to be legal wherever we chose, but I have a horrible time with bloodwork.  They can never find my veins, they're small, or they collapse and I didn't want to end up with a nasty bruise for my wedding.

#10 Brenners

Brenners
                    • 807 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

That is a good plan.  I don't have that issue - don't know if that is a good or bad thing!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users