Photo

Bridesmaid Dress - Freaking Out

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kriztie707

kriztie707
  • 196 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:20 AM

My one bridesmaid just told me last night that her dress doesn't fit her. The seamstress couldn't alter it at all because the dress was too small. J Crew doesn't make it in a bigger size and doesn't have that color anymore either! My bridesmaid have had their dresses since last June and my wedding is December 13th and we leave on the 10th for Mexico. Now we only have 10 days to find and get her a new dress. I am having a minor freakout. It is so hard to find summer colors now and I don't know if any bridal stores could rush an order that fast! Our colors are orange and pink. The bridesmaid dress was the Sophia dress in Canteloupe from Jcrew. I'd love any idea ladies! Thanks :)

#2 Cindy*

Cindy*
    • 2,655 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:20 AM

How bad is it?  Is there any way she could lose the weight to fit it?  How in the world is she just figuring out now that it doesn't fit if she's had it that long?  Does the dress have a zipper, could you change the zipper into a lace up back to give her more room.  Or if she can't zip it, is there someway to cover the back like having her wear a pashmina or something.  Otherwise, try David's bridal, you can get bridesmaid dresses off the rack there so they might have something close.  Good luck!

#3 karyan

karyan
      • 184 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:05 AM

eeee, that's a toughie. I know of that story the other way around (i.e the bridesmaid lost so much weight they took off a meter of fabric.....she was a REALLY big girl)  but it's hard if it goes the way you've posted.

That did happen to a friend of mine, and I think they just took the dress apart and put panels on the side to extend it a bit. That may not work depending on cut/material..etc. but could be worth a try?

#4 hamme

hamme
        • 194 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy* 

How bad is it?  Is there any way she could lose the weight to fit it?  How in the world is she just figuring out now that it doesn't fit if she's had it that long?  Does the dress have a zipper, could you change the zipper into a lace up back to give her more room.  Or if she can't zip it, is there someway to cover the back like having her wear a pashmina or something.  Otherwise, try David's bridal, you can get bridesmaid dresses off the rack there so they might have something close.  Good luck!

Great idea to do a lace up back. Go to the fabric stores in your area and try to match the color OR use the accent color for the panel that can be added to the zipper area to give more coverage with the lace up.

The last thing you want her to feel is out of place. She prob felt humiliated when she told you. I would be! I wouldn't want to stress the bride out.

Just be thankful she tried it on before you left for your trip and not the day of the wedding! Good luck and try not to worry too much. Tailors can get it done but it will cost her. Let us know what you do.

#5 LisaandJeff

LisaandJeff
          • 296 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:39 PM

There is one on ebay right now for $108 in a size 14.  A seamstress could potentially use the fabric from that to make the original dress bigger.  Good luck!!

June 18, 2011 * Cabo Azul Resort

#6 karyan

karyan
            • 184 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by LisaandJeff 

There is one on ebay right now for $108 in a size 14.  A seamstress could potentially use the fabric from that to make the original dress bigger.  Good luck!!

good call!

#7 dby88

dby88
              • 166 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:44 PM

Oh wow. That's rough. I like the idea of the lace up or using the dress from ebay for fabric. Good luck and let us all know how it works out!

#8 LisaMatterni

LisaMatterni
                • 718 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:42 PM

6 more days to go and you wedding day. I hope all things well. Good luck!

#9 cathyalington

cathyalington
                  • Banned
                  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hope everything goes well!

#10 ilovedress

ilovedress
                    • Banned
                    • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:11 PM

oh lady ,don't worry about this ,maybe you can suggest her  lose the weight to fit it?    Does the dress have a zipper, could you change the zipper into a lace up back to give her more room.  Or if she can't zip it, is there someway to cover the back like having her wear a pashmina or something.  otherwise you can buy it online ,  Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users